Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Confab wrote: »
    Were they really all that unreliable? The Daimler I mean.
    I wouldnt say unreliable,though the engine is complex. It would be the running costs that would be the issue, fuel consumption cant be more than 15 mpg surely? Plus big road tax on a car thats not worth very much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I wouldnt say unreliable,though the engine is complex. It would be the running costs that would be the issue, fuel consumption cant be more than 15 mpg surely? Plus big road tax on a car thats not worth very much money.

They're still fetching upwards of five grand in the UK: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1789683.htm

Can't understand why he scrapped it. I must say it to him next time I see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Has anyone a phone number for the scrapyard this Daimler's in? I'm looking for a few bits for my one.

Kinsella's Car Dismantlers
    Red Cow Naas rd Dublin
    Tel: (01)4640726

They're cheap too, I got a pair of wheels from a Fiesta for €25 (in good condition too)

I'd say you could buy the entire car from them cheap enough. It would be ideal for track days.

By the way, it was a VW Polo sitting on it's roof!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

VolvoMan wrote: »
    They're still fetching upwards of five grand in the UK: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1789683.htm

They're not "fetching" that sort of money, that's a dealer "chancing".;)

18 months ago, heard of this Daimler D6 being picked up for a mere £720. I don't think prices of these insatiably thirsty leviathans have changed much since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Kinsella's Car Dismantlers
    Red Cow Naas rd Dublin
    Tel: (01)4640726

They're cheap too, I got a pair of wheels from a Fiesta for €25 (in good condition too)

Thanks for that, he won't sell it complete, parts only.

macplaxton wrote: »
    18 months ago, heard of this Daimler D6 being picked up for a mere £720. I don't think prices of these insatiably thirsty leviathans have changed much since.
    Its always the same with big motors,no one wants them because of the percieved cost,yet people will throw away money buying new cars no problem! Anyone have an idea of the price of that when new 15 years ago?
    I love those Daimlers/jags,they are great cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Its always the same with big motors,no one wants them because of the percieved cost,yet people will throw away money buying new cars no problem! Anyone have an idea of the price of that when new 15 years ago?
    I love those Daimlers/jags,they are great cars.

A friend of mine bought a Super Eight new in 2001, with all the available options at the time paid 140,000 euros for it, he still has it and won't sell it and to be honest should get a serious hiding for the state he keeps it in, if I had it I wouldn't take it out on a wet day. They're a seriously under-rated car and relatively good on fuel for the size of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Anyone have an idea of the price of that when new 15 years ago?

I've had a Google and apparently in 1995 a new Daimler Double Six had a list price of £66,600 in the UK.

V12s have always had seriously heavy depreciation compared to others in the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ABCD0015.jpg

Looking at the reg, is that a December 95 number or a 96-on import number.
    If i can remember I think they stopped around 42000??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

you are very close how about 42011 to be exact

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Spotted today.
    Toyota Cressida, Donegal ZP reg.
    LambrettaLi1251963116.jpg
    LambrettaLi1251963114.jpg

^ A bit of T-Cut and she'd be as good as new! :D

Haha, and thing about it is that if it wasn't so badly bent up it would be a pretty solid base for a resto.

Seems like a car that was in storage awhile looking at the kind of rust on it. Havent seen an irish one for years. A good looking car IMO.
    Heres an irish one with an interesting number on it.
    ToyotaCressida-1.jpg

This one is on DoneDeal for quite awhile.
    Full?id=3402410

Full?id=3402412
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1403675

And this is an Irish series two Cressida,also a rare car now.
    Image981.jpg

Now for the million doller question,would anyone have an opinion on if that Cressida a good candidate for a banger racer?
    Its pretty beat up,rusty and all the panels are dented,unless you were wizard with bodywork you wouldnt get it straight again.
    Dont all go nuts,but i think its a valid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Personally I think anything that age is out of bounds.

There is plenty of sh1tboxes like 97 Primeras carina E's etc to use

Even if it wasn't savable many bits could be used to keep another one from the crusher

Meh, too much work. Probably no floor left in it, and the engine would need to be replaced. Might aswell go for a Mondeo or Vectra as they're cheap and cheerful!

Slidey wrote: »
    Personally I think anything that age is out of bounds.

Tell that to those eejits in the UK that still race 1930's cars!

i am not a fan of banger racing , but if they buy car no matter how desirable they are it belongs to them and they are entitled to do what they like with it , there are way too many anti groups from fox hunting to vegans and lots more . i dont like to see the stuff i like raced but i dont want to turn into the guy that joins every anti fun group life is way too short for that

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    Even if it wasn't savable many bits could be used to keep another one from the crusher
    Theres not much left on that really,bar some trim and interior switches maybe. All that would be taken off pre race anyway.

Dont forget there could be things like a front strut, back tramp bars and the likes that would also get bent beyond use while racing

slidey you arent going t let them away with anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Theres not much left on that really,bar some trim and interior switches maybe. All that would be taken off pre race anyway.

Engine,box,back axle, starter,alternator, window regulators, (throttle,speedo, clutch, handbrake, bonnet release cables) Tax bo...no lets not GO THERE:D

kasper wrote: »
    slidey you arent going t let them away with anything

I am playing devils advocate here.

I have never gone banger racing but if I was I would just use a mid nineties care. Think it is a shame to do that to the rarer cars that are left.

I would also not be on for banning them from using them, there is too much nannying going on as it is but I reckon if enough people were to voice their objections is would become unacceptable just like farting in a lift - Some would still do it but most would avoid it! :D

Blue850 wrote: »
    Engine,box,back axle, starter,alternator, window regulators, (throttle,speedo, clutch, handbrake, bonnet release cables) Tax bo...no lets not GO THERE:D
    All that would be left to race would be the axle from that lot. It would probably have a Ford 2.0 pinto or a 2.8 V6 plus ford gearbox installed to race it. It would literally just be the shell then,which is past it being realistic. Just a thought.

Anyone know of anymore of those Cressidas on the road here?

Anyone know of anymore of those Cressidas on the road here?

There is a lad outside of Granard in Longford who's a big Cressida head (seen a few outside of his house before a few years ago), he's on the N55 road. Don't know if he still collects them though.

Know of two here in Donegal. Both Imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

G Luxel wrote: »
    Looking at the reg, is that a December 95 number or a 96-on import number.
    If i can remember I think they stopped around 42000??

A friend and I went past that Jag / Dam today in hope of getting a few spares for our own Jag's. My buddie went by yesterday and told me the parts were all there and she was intact. We wanted interior and chrome bits also the modules etc.

As you can see from the photo posted earlier it looked okay. He told the guy there we would be back today and he said he will get it out and get the other car that was on top off it.

Well holy God, they used a fork lift to move it out, and ruined the very good interior and one arm of the fork lift went straight through the drivers seat buggered up the leather and wood etc Chromes wrecked and also moved it about using the fork lift on wings which in turn damaged the grill and rear chromes which we were after. The car had its books inside her and also only 80k on the NCT cert. It was a shame to see and even worse to see so many good parts going to waste. It seems they were only interested in metal value, and the leather interior I would have given good money for. Mad I am shock by it, Surely this car was worth saving even if just for parts only!!

Have a look and see what they made of a good car even though it was for parts only !!
    30072010.jpg
    30072010002.jpg
    30072010001.jpg
    30072010004.jpg
    30072010006.jpg
    30072010007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Maybe not a classic yet, but rare enough, spotted this Daimler Double Six in the scrapy yard across from the Red Cow today. According to Myhweels.ie, it has a 6.0L engine! :eek:

ABCD0015.jpg
    sorry this is the Damiler i am refering to, and you can see the interior is good :mad:

Advertisement