Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

hi5 wrote: »
    every old car kept alive is one less job for somone in the car industry

Don't agree with that bit. As even old cars need parts are services.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Its not about the environment its about the economy,
    every old car kept alive is one less job for somone in the car industry.

Every old car kept alive is one less robot required in the car industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Seems like I opened a can of worms by posting that picture in the first place! :D
    No,seems the Forklift diver tried a bit of industrial can opening with his forklift...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Heres one for landy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

Thats happening everywhere,theres lots of guys doing that down here too. Cars are being pulled out of fields that have been there for years. Id be afraid to leave something parked up for too long!:p

If they havent got a waste collection permit,report them to your local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Had to get the bus from cork-kilkenny and back over the weekend, crazy the amount of fields, driveways, gardens and farmyards absolutely littered in abandoned classics left there to rot. One yard had about 15 old cars all sitting there gathering rust, overrun by brambles.

Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Its not about the environment its about the economy,
    every old car kept alive is one less job for somone in the car industry.

Not true.

For every new car sold a large percentage of that money leaves the economy and goes abroad.

For every second hand car sold within Ireland the money stays within the economy.

One new car sale supports no job. Talk to any dealer the don't make their money on new car sales they make it on commission for finance (also applies to second hand cars) and after sales (which they would increase dramatically if they stopped charging outlandish prices).

Every old car saved keeps money int eh economy, supports a service industry and does far more benefit to the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

knipex wrote: »
    Not true.

For every new car sold a large percentage of that money leaves the economy and goes abroad.

For every second hand car sold within Ireland the money stays within the economy.

One new car sale supports no job. Talk to any dealer the don't make their money on new car sales they make it on commission for finance (also applies to second hand cars) and after sales (which they would increase dramatically if they stopped charging outlandish prices).

Every old car saved keeps money int eh economy, supports a service industry and does far more benefit to the economy.

Very well put !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Read my post again,I never mentioned Ireland.
    Manufacturing is the most profitable part of the industry.
    Dont know why its called an 'industry' in Ireland,delusional or probably harks back to a time when we assembled cars here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

knipex wrote: »
    Not true.

+ 1000,000

And what the Greenies seem to keep conveniently forgetting is that keeping older cars going is better for the enviornment. If I'm not mistaken most of the pollution occurs during the manufacture of a car: I read somewhere that you'd have to keep a car on the road for 30 years in order for it to break even, in the overall scheme of pollution.

My 16 year old 1.8 costs me something like €600 a year to tax. A brand new 2.0 Diesel costs €156 for the entire year. Something wrong there, unless daisys grow out the exhaust of the diesel. Bloody scam of the millenium.

No doubt but the greens put the tin hat on the second hand car business with the new Tax bands of mid '08. Then again the trade is largely to blame and sort of asked for it. For as long as I can remember the S.I.M.I. have been portraying older cars as "dangerous" (bogus) and anyone who's not an SIMI member as a dodgy criminal up a laneway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ahal wrote: »
    + 1000,000

No doubt but the greens put the tin hat on the second hand car business with the new Tax bands of mid '08. Then again the trade is largely to blame and sort of asked for it. For as long as I can remember the S.I.M.I. have been portraying older cars as "dangerous" (bogus) and anyone who's not an SIMI member as a dodgy criminal up a laneway.

It was SIMI who wanted the VRT gone, and when it was reduced, they were the loudest voice complaining because ti reduced the value of secondhand cars. What did they expect?

Cars over 10 years old should get a lower rate of road tax, say 25% off, and further reductions as the car ages. So by 30 years old, it is more or less free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ahal wrote: »

For as long as I can remember the S.I.M.I. have been portraying older cars as "dangerous" (bogus) QUOTE]
    Indeed,you always hear about 'Dangerous polluting older cars'. Whats the NCT for so!!!!
    If I'm not mistaken most of the pollution occurs during the manufacture of a car
    This is true,the Green argument for buying a new car and scrapping an older one is totally invalid. On the surface it sounds like a good thing to get rid of an old polluting car,which nowadays is usually a late 90s/ early 2000s car which was probably marketed as low emissions when new and also has the NCT test to keep emissions in check.
    What about the fields and fields of cars full of pollutants that are now scrapped because of the percieved environmental benefit.
    Building a car then scrapping it after not much more than 10 years on the road is about as environmentally unfriendly as i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Read my post again,I never mentioned Ireland.
    Manufacturing is the most profitable part of the industry.
    Dont know why its called an 'industry' in Ireland,delusional or probably harks back to a time when we assembled cars here.

Profitable for who though !!!! Its very profitable for the government which is the only reason they've introduced the SS

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

I take it no one has spotted an abandoned car recently :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I have!
    Saw this one just this afternoon, crap photo though. It's a Fiat 124 sport and appears to have had the engine removed. I have a feeling this car was mentioned here before.
    Its on a side road off the main Waterford to New Ross road.
    DSC02677.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

saw these during the week

13rdaugust2010378.jpg

theres an XJS behind it....

13rdaugust2010377.jpg

also just got this much of a Bluebird abandoned too....

13rdaugust2010173.jpg:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ Does that Bluebird have an 'SI' reg? If so, it may be the same one that used to live near me some time back.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    ^ Does that Bluebird have an 'SI' reg? If so, it may be the same one that used to live near me some time back.

eh..hmmm:confused: I dont think so, its an 84/85 bluebird, sold new here, cant remember the plate...:)

30thaugust2010003.jpg needs to be moved soon...

28thaugust2010112.jpg
    may be scrapped or for sale..Dolomite 1300

28thaugust2010106.jpg
    28thaugust2010110.jpg
    28thaugust2010107.jpg
    another Dolomite for the scrapheap, just whats left of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

How good / bad is that renault? and where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

file.php?id=158

This ('72 Volvo 1800ES) had been sitting beside a hedge in Meath for a few years. Bought it last month and currently stripping it down for parts for my '73 - it's rusted remarkably badly from being laid up - in all sorts of unusual places. Still lots to salvage from it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

There are two Volvo coupes on ebay with Cork regs for sale at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

alastair wrote: »
    file.php?id=158

This ('72 Volvo 1800ES) had been sitting beside a hedge in Meath for a few years. Bought it last month and currently stripping it down for parts for my '73 - it's rusted remarkably badly from being laid up - in all sorts of unusual places. Still lots to salvage from it though.

What a beautiful motor!! post pics of yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

G Luxel wrote: »
    28thaugust2010110.jpg

What are the chances someone out there is looking for a good steering wheel to finish off their Dolomite restoration?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Ali Babba wrote: »
    There are two Volvo coupes on ebay with Cork regs for sale at the moment.
    had a look but couldnt see em, any chance of a link??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

jimbooth wrote: »
    had a look but couldnt see em, any chance of a link??

They're sold... They're being shipped to Poland. I saw the cars during the week...

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

G Luxel wrote: »
    30thaugust2010003.jpg needs to be moved soon...

28thaugust2010112.jpg
    may be scrapped or for sale..Dolomite 1300

28thaugust2010106.jpg
    28thaugust2010110.jpg
    28thaugust2010107.jpg
    another Dolomite for the scrapheap, just whats left of it....
    where is the renault 12 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Where is the green Dolly and what condition is it in

What are the chances someone out there is looking for a good steering wheel to finish off their Dolomite restoration?

yep, shouldnt be a problem. Ill do my best to reserve it...

• Advertisement

2cv wrote: »
    They're sold... They're being shipped to Poland. I saw the cars during the week...

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.jpg

Is the car on the left an 80s import? Was the blue car sold here new in LHD? And a nice Renault Floride/Caravelle in the background :-)

Advertisement