Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Unusual how rust free it actually is, they are totally extinct now.

My thoughts exactly; it's not as if it had been pampered!

From the reg I'd reckon it's a '78 and 32 years in the rain is not kind to anything. The lack of a windscreen is unfortunate and part of the dash is also missing.

Interestingly it's now very convenient to public transport, being located across the road from the new Lahaunstown stop on the Luas Green Line. It even comes with an empty cottage, which I presume was intended to become 99+ apartments until it became Tiger poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

johnos1984 wrote: »
    No rust on that Mazda at all.

Its a bit rough but not impossible to put right. Mind you that dint in the roof could be an issue

Probably no floor left in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

japcars wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I know of this Golf in a field in Co. Wicklow thats quiet near me, I dont own it but know the owner who is a reasonable man who seems to have shoved it to the end of a field and forgotten about it, its been there for nearly 9 yrs now, its beyond a resto id say, you can judge for yourselves based on pics above, havent asked him about it, say I may be able to get bits off it if anyone wants them, cant give out location as its on private land, owner wouldnt be to keen on strangers snooping about. Im not guarenteeing anything just yet as I dont own it, will be able to enquire possibly in January as im out of the country at the moment, I maybe able to get bits and send/deliver them, could arrange something but not promising anything just yet as I dont want to dissapoint anyone. Just thought id post it up, shame to see it detoriate, would be nice to see someone get some freebie parts off it at least ;);) if it works out.

Nice pics of that mark 1 Golf. Again while it is probably well beyond restoration , I am sure there are lots of bits that I would hate to see destroyed. Had a 1980 diesel one of these and they really were the start of the ordinary man's diesel car. Most reliable and very economical . Comfort , probably not but was an improvement from an anglia

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Probably no floor left in it.

Probably, but surely someone out there needs a parts donor, all that sort of 70s stuff is long gone now.

a526231f.jpg
    Just came across this old bluebird, 5 mins before the digger did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

That little Mazda really needs to be saved,
    there can't be more than a handfull of them left in the country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭japcars

Hey,

the car is way too gone alright especially with damage at the back, nice car though, wouldnt be mad into green paint, if u see anything in pics u want i cud try and get them and send to you, dont worry about any costs haha but probably not much anyway worth saving, the car probably will be there for the rest of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd give my left nut for one of those Mazdas :(

Heres a carina I knew of that was stripped for parts lately (pic13062...), its not there anymore now I think, most of it was to fargone to do up id say, also pictures of a 70s datsun 120y coupe (pic 28033...) thats going to be used for parts, its been moved since this picture was taken. Furthermore pictures of a ferguson T20 tractor( 25082..) spotted in a well hidden location in Co.Down through a window, dont know history behind it at all or the owner.

Coupe is ropey looking alright. Is it Irish?

• Advertisement

Coupe is ropey looking alright. Is it Irish?

Yes, i think its irish alright, has a square number plate on the back, could either be imported but couldnt get image because of wall, unfortunatley the car is well past it, seeing it first hand you could put your whole fist through some holes nearly, been stripped of some useful parts for another 120 y my friend bought a while ago, shame as it would be really nice in mint condition, theyre rare here like all jap 70s jap stuff, good to see some fine examples like yours and others around at least, was the site with that bluebird you found cleared? just curious

The diggers were less than 10 feet from the bluebird, as far as I know it was cleared. I was on a job when i saw it so hadn't much time to find out exactly, but il make more enquiries, it would make a good breaker.

The diggers were less than 10 feet from the bluebird, as far as I know it was cleared. I was on a job when i saw it so hadn't much time to find out exactly, but il make more enquiries, it would make a good breaker.
    Thats grand dont need parts myself just wondering, hope you get what you want !! good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, i think its irish alright, has a square number plate on the back, could either be imported but couldnt get image because of wall

Square rear number plates were pretty normal for Japanese non-imports back then. However, if it was a Japanese import it would have wing mirrors (or at least holes where they used to be), and an "S" badge instead of the "D" on the grille (it was a Datsun Sunny over there, and Jap Nissans tended to have model-specific badges on the grilles up until the late '90s).

Square rear number plates were pretty normal for Japanese non-imports back then.)
    Some of the 120Ys had square front plates also, as the gap in the bumper only really allowed for a square plate.

Square rear number plates were pretty normal for Japanese non-imports back then. However, if it was a Japanese import it would have wing mirrors (or at least holes where they used to be), and an "S" badge instead of the "D" on the grille (it was a Datsun Sunny over there, and Jap Nissans tended to have model-specific badges on the grilles up until the late '90s).

Thanks for that, dont know if it had wing mirrors now even when i saw it for the first time 8 yrs ago, has d badge alright, they were really popular in the USA from what i have heard.

Some of the 120Ys had square front plates also, as the gap in the bumper only really allowed for a square plate.

The one on this is rectangular in shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Heres a carina I knew of that was stripped for parts lately (pic13062...), its not there anymore now I think, most of it was to fargone to do up id say, also pictures of a 70s datsun 120y coupe (pic 28033...) thats going to be used for parts, its been moved since this picture was taken. Furthermore pictures of a ferguson T20 tractor( 25082..) spotted in a well hidden location in Co.Down through a window, dont know history behind it at all or the owner.

I suppose you dont have any way of finding out about the wee fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Those boxy style Carinas are nice. Just saw a red one in Limerick reg Hiv, have seen it and a few similar ones at car shows. Nice to see it being driven regularly:D

shawnee wrote: »
    Those boxy style Carinas are nice. Just saw a red one in Limerick reg Hiv, have seen it and a few similar ones at car shows. Nice to see it being driven regularly:D

Thre nice alright, like that colour as well, knew of one that a husband gave to to his wife for a present back in the early 80s from what i have heard, she still had it after he passed away until 4/5 years ago when it gave engine trouble, was a pale metallic blue, very tidy no rust at all looking at it shame, got replaced with a yaris ughhh !!

• Advertisement

Have a picture of a car that I found on flickr posted by scrawb, you probably are familiar with the photos already, there is one yoke in it that i dont have a clue what it is, anyone any ideas, no prizes for guessing unfortunatley :D:D,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Hyundai Pony

800px-Hyundai_Pony_1984_Utrecht_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

Blue850 wrote: »
    Hyundai Pony

Had blanked them from my memory!

Never have guessed, pretty forgetable car by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That one was wrecking my head too, thought I already looked up that one :/

That one was wrecking my head too, thought I already looked up that one :/

Hey Zilog im the other guy who posted that comment on flickr as well saying it was a polonez, small world haha, posted comment on flickr just there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Is that Pony in Ireland.? i didnt think they were sold here

Yes that pony was in a scrapyard in kildare, probably crushed by now, check out the photos on flickr, search for the name scrawb and hes posted over a 1000 pics of cars in this place, some rare ones in it like talbots, old 70s toyotas etc,

G Luxel wrote: »
    Is that Pony in Ireland.? i didnt think they were sold here
    Its on a Dutch registration so i guess not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Its on a Dutch registration so i guess not.

I think he's referring to the one in the Kildare scrapyard.

The earliest Pony I ever saw here was a 1990 one (owned by someone around the corner from me, back in the late 90's)

I'm no fan of Korean cars, but that Pony in the scrapyard needs to be saved, although it's probably a cube by now.

Advertisement