Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭japcars

I used to visit this mobile home park from time to time with my mum when I was little and remember it well, the lady we knew there has now been dead for 9/11 yrs. visit again on google earth and came across 3 seemingly abandoned vehicles, one is an old bus that looks like some sort of converted vehicle could it be a mercedes bus? then I saw a renault 19 not really a classic, looks to be abandoned outside a knackered mobile home, i remember seeing one or two of these when i used to come here, one was a red chamade, what a flashback!! also not really a classic but not as common now is this 94 opel omega parked behind a boarded up mobile home, you can see a dogs head over the gate is in the yard. Also a MG that is covered and definetley not abandoned. The park is Chianti Park outside tallaght going towards blesssington. Not totally sure if they are abandoned or not but look like they have been there for a while. Its such a bizzare place :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It kinda looks like the kind of trailer park that I wouldn't want to go knocking on doors to find out if they are abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Link to site on google maps? Would be interesting for sure..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It kinda looks like the kind of trailer park that I wouldn't want to go knocking on doors to find out if they are abandoned.

F*ck off Lahey! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

japcars wrote: »
    I used to visit this mobile home park from time to time with my mum when I was little and remember it well, the lady we knew there has now been dead for 9/11 yrs. visit again on google earth and came across 3 seemingly abandoned vehicles, one is an old bus that looks like some sort of converted vehicle could it be a mercedes bus? then I saw a renault 19 not really a classic, looks to be abandoned outside a knackered mobile home, i remember seeing one or two of these when i used to come here, one was a red chamade, what a flashback!! also not really a classic but not as common now is this 94 opel omega parked behind a boarded up mobile home, you can see a dogs head over the gate is in the yard. Also a MG that is covered and definetley not abandoned. The park is Chianti Park outside tallaght going towards blesssington. Not totally sure if they are abandoned or not but look like they have been there for a while. Its such a bizzare place :eek::eek:
    Interesting Place. I like the range rover

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Link to site on google maps? Would be interesting for sure..........

I found this trailer park on google earth, you need to download it, its free of course, if you do download it type in Chianti Park, Dublin 24, Ireland. Photos have been taken around the park, you click on the camera icons, you cant go directly to it on google maps i tried but will take another look to be sure, actually wait just checked haha you can go there alright , just type in

Chianti Park, Dublin 24 and you can walk around !!

nightster1 wrote: »
    Interesting Place. I like the range rover

The old one is nice alright and probably more reliable than the new one, but the new ones are pretty cool though !! heres a picture of it in another view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

japcars wrote: »
    one is an old bus that looks like some sort of converted vehicle could it be a mercedes bus?

Talbot UK import.

e45kkv.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

would never have known, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Morris minor running gear donator aquired recently.
    36d1b086.jpg
    And a rare Fiat 132 Bellini, after a haircut sadly.
    492b970d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Mk2 Fiesta (or Mk1 ?) and VW Transporter in Newcastle, Co. Dublin courtesy of Google Maps :D

26-12-2010.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ They're not going anywhere any time soon!

Some more scrappy spots lately.

fe34c59a.jpg

60a1c29c.jpg

32bd7fc6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

surely that merc can be saved ? the saloon , nice irish reg too !

poor estate looks like its a goner :(

manta mad wrote: »
    surely that merc can be saved ? the saloon , nice irish reg too !

poor estate looks like its a goner :(
    All of the above cars are Irish, none of them for sale though. Dont think anyone would want the yella Merc or the Starlet! Rotten is too good a word!

I'll take the log books for my "private collection":D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

ditto!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

or to sell on... illegally you mean....? too much of that crap going on these days

I'd agree and I wouldn't advocate it but I think that there is also a lot of hysteria about it on this forum and in the classic car scene in general! I am 4 years into a rebuild of an original irish series 1 lancia fulvia and have been accused on more than one occasion of buying the book, there seems to be a split within the community of people who have original cars and those who don't with people pointing fingers and asking questions. When I went to buy my car I didn't care weather it was Irish or not my only concern was that it was rhd I will admit that when I found out it was Irish it was a nice bonus but not because it gives me the right to be condescending towards others in the community but because my car had a history that I could trace with its brown book. Remember if you lived in the UK you could buy any plate you want for you're imported classic so this wouldn't be an issue! In my opinion if someone wants to delude themselves into thinking they have something they've not well let them be and if someone is going to hand over there hard earned cash for something they don't check out properly well more fool them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I'd agree and I wouldn't advocate it but I think that there is also a lot of hysteria about it on this forum and in the classic car scene in general! I am 4 years into a rebuild of an original irish series 1 lancia fulvia and have been accused on more than one occasion of buying the book, there seems to be a split within the community of people who have original cars and those who don't with people pointing fingers and asking questions. When I went to buy my car I didn't care weather it was Irish or not my only concern was that it was rhd I will admit that when I found out it was Irish it was a nice bonus but not because it gives me the right to be condescending towards others in the community but because my car had a history that I could trace with its brown book. Remember if you lived in the UK you could buy any plate you want for you're imported classic so this wouldn't be an issue! In my opinion if someone wants to delude themselves into thinking they have something they've not well let them be and if someone is going to hand over there hard earned cash for something they don't check out properly well more fool them!

Your Fulvia isn't a 1986 first reg. DZF Cork reg by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I am 4 years into a rebuild of an original irish series 1 lancia fulvia
    Any pics? My first car was an S1 Fulvia 1.3S sport, RZO 700.

no mine is a 1970 dublin car 365 YI

all the photos are here you'll need are here!
    http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/ss263/KEV1-3S/project%20fulvia/?start=all

It's a slow burner made all the more painful by the hideous bodywork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

There was another one around Cork that was crashed when brand new and sat unrepaired in the main dealers until it was sold as a new unregistered car in 1986 hence the DZF reg.

was wondering about that reg alright haven't seen that car around any of the shows have you any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Any harm in asking do you know the previous owners? It looks similar to my brother in laws old car

log book is in the attic at the minute but as far as I can remember there was 4 I'll double check that over the weekend, what was you're brothers name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I agree with this post. Clearly an irish car from the fifties /sixties can have a lot of local history, more so in the case of a sports or sporty car as they were rare enough and tended to belong to a discerning owner, photos can be sourced of its early days.

i had intended starting a thread on this sometime . A while ago i was rescued by some members of the Mini owners club. We discussed the fact that a rotten car in the UK can be re shelled(MG heritage shells) and "become" the original car .
    in ireland this appears not to be the case. Also in the Uk one can restore a complete rust bucket ,depending on what original parts are used, i think there are percentage points applied ) and the car is the same.

apparently this is of importance to those who want to restore a car to regain a unique(and valuable) reg no.

i dont imagine many people in ireland bothered restoring much before 25 years ago, now cars are being brought back to life by magnificent efforts like this restoration of the Fulvia.

the point of this rant is that there is a "science" of restoring cars and the genuineness of a restoration cannot be determined by the amount of new parts fitted.

regards Rugbyman

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

rugbyman wrote: »
    apparently this is of importance to those who want to restore a car to regain a unique(and valuable) reg no.

Not the case. In the early 90s, the DVLA made it easier to retain a registration that had fallen off the system due to a long period off the road. However, the flip side was that the registration became a non-transferable one.

Where cars are rebuilt and have little original identity evidence, then they are given an age-related registration, that anoraks can spot a mile off, but at least are in keeping with the format of the period. If they have no identity evidence then it's "Q" plate territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

WOW Hats off mate, Amazing work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Ali Babba wrote: »
    There was another one around Cork that was crashed when brand new and sat unrepaired in the main dealers until it was sold as a new unregistered car in 1986 hence the DZF reg.

I used to see one sitting in a garden over 10 years ago. I am sure it was an irish car but it was completely rusty. So rusty it was that I just saw the outline of the bodywork.....holes everywhere:)

Advertisement