Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Samsung 40in LCD - possibly knackered!?

• 20-05-2007 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi all,

A brief timeline.
    • Bought the tv on 06-01-07
    • The TV is a Samsung LE40R74B
    • Bought a Wii on 01-04-07
    • The TV package we have is Chorus in Louth

I have attached two images one showing the tv working normally and one highlighting the problem. The TV looks like it's on acid is the best way to describe it.

Now the 1st time I noticed this happening was when we got the wii, so naturally we thought it must be the wii. Then we heard that chorus were re calibrating their system so we thought bingo it was chorus affecting the picture.

Unfortunately it is neither of the above. The image just goes from time to time and can happen with the wii connected to the av section, chorus in scart 1 and dvd in scart 2 or with just one or any combination of the three connections in use.

It does appear more often when the dvd connection - scart 2/ ext 2 is used.

I have since discovered that a gentle tap and I mean a finger to the left hand side of the tv will correct the image.

To me this looks like something is loose or knackered but just wanted a bit of expert opinion before going back and talking to the lads in did as I think given the tv is 4.5 months old this is not really something which should happen and I would be well within my rights to demand a replacement.

The general consensus seems to be that samsung are a good brand? Now I am beginning to think that at 40in plus that plasmas are the one to go for.

Thanks for any help in advance and I hope the above makes some sense.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Problem doesn't sound too serious. Luckily it's under guarantee. I'd expect DID to want to repair the unit first, they're not obliged to replace after 30 days IIRC unless they can't fix the fault.

These things can happen, nothing is 100% failsafe, just some brands are less likely to have issues than others. Doesn't mean there still won't be a few that have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Cheers Byte. Samsung have a good rep do they not?
    I will have to check out the 30 day legislation and see what is what. My preference would be for a replacement as nobody wants to spend €1600 and get a faulty device and then have it repaired. Coupled with the fact that one will be without said faulty device for a few days if not weeks.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Samsung generally have a good reputation alright.

As for whether you'll get a replacement, there's no harm in asking for one. You never know, you might get a new one. Or maybe they'll loan you a set while your own is being repaired.

Advertisement