Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking cuttings from a Solanum Crispum Glasnevin

Options
  • 20-05-2007 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I have a very healthy Solanum Crispum Glasnevin but I want to spread it around a bit at the same time as cutting it back. Can anyone please tell me how I take cuttings from this and get new plants from them ?

Advice on when to take the cuttings (now?), where on the plant to cut it, and how to get the cuttings to root (in water before planting in soil?) would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

An easy way to create new plants from your Solanum is to layer it.
    See point (3) on this post about propagating Rosemary. Use this method for your Solanum.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Thanks very much for the advice. Would never have thought of that.

Just been out to the garden and unfortunatly the stems are either too short to reach the ground (this plant is quite big - 10feet at the tips) or the stems aren't flexible enough and snap when I try to bend them.

Is there a good way to take cuttings ? How can I get the cuttings to root ? Tried this with the cuttings soaked in water for a few weeks before but they just withered and died.

Any advice much appreciated. Really want to get this plant to spread without having to fork out in Woodies again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not really the right time of year for cuttings, the growth is a bit new and the plant is putting all its energy into new leaves and flowers.

Wait until about July/August then take cuttings (I prefer to take heel cuttings, which means you find a bit of growth from last year and pull down at a join so you get a cutting with a tiny bit of the next branch at the bottom) Nip off any flowers and some of the leaves, then dip in rooting powder/gel and plant about half way up into a spare bit of sheltered ground or a pot, keep moist and see what happens. (will take till the following spring )Do quite a few. These are very generic instructions, there may be some particular tips for Solanum that I haven't mentioned but I imagine it would root quite easily.

Another trick would be to make a little slanting cut on a branch then tie a plastic 'pouch' round with damp peatmoss in it and hope that roots come into the compost.

great advice. thanks very much. I'll try both techniques. nothing to lose and everything to gain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It's a good idea to put a plastic bag secured with an elastic band over the pot you have the cuttings in. Keep the plastic off the leaves by inserting a few sticks in the corner of the pot.
    Keep the pot out of the sun and wait a few weeks for rooting to take place.

• Advertisement

Reyman wrote:
    It's a good idea to put a plastic bag secured with an elastic band over the pot you have the cuttings in. Keep the plastic off the leaves by inserting a few sticks in the corner of the pot.
    Keep the pot out of the sun and wait a few weeks for rooting to take place.

mmm - so you mean keep the cuttings in water but completely out of the direct sunlight under plastic ? sorry - just trying to visualise what you've described. thanks

Advertisement