Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Services Engineering

• 20-05-2007 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about doing building services engineering next year. Which course is better - the BEng or the BEng (Hons)? I think I know what answer I'll get. What are the differences?

Anyway, if you're doing one of the courses, what is it like, and what are the job prospects like at the end of it?

Would it be possible to go into BSE after a Mech Eng (Hons) course, or Structural Eng (Hons)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'm finishin up the structural engineering course so - my details wont be exact plus they have brought in some changes recently but this is my understanding of things.

Honours Degree:
    Common engineering first year, after which you pick your speciality; e.g. mechanical, structural, building services, manufacturing

Honours degree is four years long.

Pass Degree:
    The pass degree is 3 years in length, and you can do an extra 2 years to get the honours degree as long as you get a decent result in the pass degree, e.g. 2:1 or better (60%+)

The difference between the pass and honours degree except for the obvious duration would be the difficulty of the subjects, more advanced topics covered in the honours degree...
    Would it be possible to go into BSE after a Mech Eng (Hons) course, or Structural Eng (Hons)?

A lot of people that do the mechanical course go into building services engineering. They mightnt know exactly as much about all the building services systems but it would be something that they could pick up easily enough without too much hastle.

I wouldnt think it would be very like for someone from my class in the structural course to go into building services, we did fluids in second year but after that all your theoretical study goes into stresses in steel/concrete/timber etc and you dont cover anything on heat transfer, and advanced flud dynamic topics. So, it wouldnt be very practical. Plus it would be a total waste as you spend most of 3rd and 4th year learning structural design (concrete/steel) which you would never use.

Job prospects are huge in any construction sector at the moment, no problems for anybody doing the structural/civil/building services to get a job, in fact the reason that employers are willing to take on mechanical students who will require more training before they become useful is a testament to the demand.

Hope I've helped you make a decision

Advertisement