Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skyDSL dish question

Options
  • 20-05-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭

Sorry lads and lasses, yet another boring skyDSL question:
    Since I got the service I am happy with it and told a few people in my locality about it.
    They are interested in signing up for it but don't want to commit unless they are sure they can receive as signal. Even though they have a clear line of sight to the southern sky and their PC is up to scratch, that doesn't 100% mean they can get a signal.
    I was thinking if I could bring along my lappie, (which has the skyDSL software installed on it) and if I also had a dish, I could test it out and see if I can get a signal and then they could go ahead and order it.
    But I want to know does it have to be the skyDSL dish or will any one do?
    I presume not, as long as it is the same size it shouldn't make a difference.
    Obviously if I could get a skyDSL dish that someone doesn't need then that would be perfect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't need a laptop.

Any similar size dish will do, but if it is use, you'd have the problem of puting it back to original position. You can use a 20 euro signal meter and a cheap 70 euro satellite receiver to check the signal from the satellite. But in 99.999% of cases a compass and spirit level with protactor is all you need to see if there is LOS. Check online at anynumber of sites or use download free from www.smw.se to find the desired satellite azimuth and elevation. If they live nearby (within 50km) it is near enough the same as your own.

IMO the SkyDSL is overpriced as you have to pay eircom line rental and dialup charges. If you use more than 180hrs a month and cancel phone line then a 99 Euro a month two way sat is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

The skyDSL software is already installed on my lappie so I could align the dish using the aucoustic signalization.
    The elevation and tilt are easy to set, it's the azimuth would be the hardest.
    I know if I did get a signal that putting it back in that exact position again would take a bit of time but at least I'd be able to prove to the person that they can get the service.
    Anyone I set it up for will be using the same sateliite as me, hence their dish will be pointing in the exact same direction as mine.
    I take your point about skyDSL being over-priced, I was actually very close to getting digiweb instead but I think theirs is a 12 month contract and I could be moving out of where I am using skyDSL in a while so I wanted the option of cancelling it and not being screwed
    Their installation cost is much higher too. IMO digiweb is more for businesses, not home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a 80cm and a loudspeaker PA tripod. Then you don't have to mess up a working dish.

I've jammed a dish on a pair of steps. easy to adjust tilt, slightly tricker to do azimuth. If you have LOS from ground level somefolks sware by a car tyre.

watty wrote:
    Get a 80cm and a loudspeaker PA tripod. Then you don't have to mess up a working dish.

Could well work. You truly are the master of improvisation Watty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

lukin wrote:
    The skyDSL software is already installed on my lappie so I could align the dish using the aucoustic signalization.

How will you connect the laptop to the LNBF?

There are a couple of 2-way satellite packages due out shortly which are a good bit cheaper than €99/month.

DSL2U has 512/128 for €30/month and 1024/128 for €40/month plus equipment costs.

Astra2Connect has been mentioned here previously.

• Advertisement

Zaphod wrote:
    How will you connect the laptop to the LNBF?

There's a USB Box that you connect to the lappie, The cable from the LNB goes into that.
    Zaphod wrote:
    There are a couple of 2-way satellite packages due out shortly which are a good bit cheaper than €99/month.

DSL2U has 512/128 for €30/month and 1024/128 for €40/month plus equipment costs.

Astra2Connect has been mentioned here previously.

Don't think that dsl2u is available in Ireland yet.
    ASTRA2Connect is a little more expensive than skyDSL according to that link:

Registration Fee €99.95
    Hardware can either be purchased for €319.95 or leased for €9.92 per month

24 month Min. Contract too.

Although I accept the fact that it's two-way makes it a better option than skyDSL for some.

Advertisement