Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Direct's "Driving Other Cars Extension"

Options
  • 20-05-2007 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm considering switching my insurance to Quinn when its up in a month. On their website they say that the driving other cars extension "applies to most policies". Does anyone know the conditions that this does / doesn't apply to? I've looked at their website and can't seem to find out any more information on it.

I'm 21 and I'm insuring a commercial Pajero under a private motor policy, not a commercial policy, so would the drive any car extention apply to me? Or would I be too young?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

its applies to private policys. It works that you insurance covers you for Third party only. And the car your driving has to be insured already by its owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

But it says that it applies to most private motor policies. So I'm wondering what the conditions are to that? And would I be too young to get it at 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i think its more high powered cars its restricted against but i havnt heard anyone havin had probs with it. You dont need to notify quinn when your driving the other car. all you need is the other car owners permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

why don't you ask them?

eamon234 wrote:
    why don't you ask them?

Yeh, I will. I just got the quote a couple of hours ago and being Sunday today I'll have to wait till the morning. I'm just anxious to know because it'll be the deciding factor to switch rather than the price as it will be extremely handy to have. I've never had "drive any car" before because I've always been insured under a commercial policy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

SGKM wrote:
    But it says that it applies to most private motor policies. So I'm wondering what the conditions are to that? And would I be too young to get it at 21?
    I was 18 when i got this service from hibernian.I could drive any other car 3rd party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

For Quinn the restrictions are you need a full licence, that the other vehicle isn't a commercial, a landcruiser or jeep.

Not sure would it differ if your original vehicle is a commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

your policy with them has to be fully comprehensive too

That sounds good,I've got a full licience and I'd be going fully comp anyway. They quoted me just over €1,000 which is about €500/€600 less than I was expecting to pay on a commercial policy without the drive any car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bear in mind that your private policy won't let you carry goods/tools for work unless you get an addendum put on the policy (group 12, I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

draffodx wrote:
    your policy with them has to be fully comprehensive too

Where did you hear that? thats just plain wrong.

I have this other peoples cars on my policy and i've only got TPFT cover.

When i passed my test i phoned them up straight away and they sent out 200 euro cash back and told me i could also drive any car not owned by me or a rental company.

I also phoned them up and asked about the car being insured by the owner and it doesnt need to be.

If i insure my own car, i can drive any car i like with the owners permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was told i had to have a fully comp policy with them 3 years ago to drive other cars, maybe this has changed

yeah, must be changed coz ive used it already a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

And the car your driving has to be insured already by its owner.

do you have a reference for this? not what Quinn told me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

WRT the other car being insured, whatever is written in your policy documents is the legal contract - not what they *tell* you.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

usually it's only with Comp policies i thought - also i thought it only allowed you to drive cars <= your own cars cc.
    i.e. you can't insure yourself on a 999cc fiat panda and then drive a 6 litre corvette.

My policy does not state any conditions - I can driver other peoples cars with their consent. However, Im not (nor will I ever be) insured by QD.

you CAN drive other peoples cars if your only TPFT and they DONT need to be insured by the owner.

Also, what they TELL you, is legal aswell as your policy conditions may change mid policy, pass driving test for example, and youd have the same original cert

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

I have been insured with Quinn for the last year 3rd party my own policy and have been driving other cars quite regularly that arent insured.
    I am technically insured but what if I am stopped in something very fast ie supercar. Even if I have the owners permission surely they would have a problem with this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i asked them about this and they said I could drive anything.

their position is since I'm covered 3rd party the damage I would do to the vehicle I'm driving would not be covered and the driver would be stupid to let me out in it.

/me tries to think of any friends with a Veyron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I got stung with this malarky, passed my drving test and informed quinn (TPFT policy), she said to me that because i'm a panel beater that open drive was not allowed :(:( , which is just silly.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

because i'm a panel beater that open drive was not allowed , which is just silly.

Unless you take the view that seeing you will have access to many cars not your own you will regularly be driving using this provision in your policy. Most companies treat it as a courtesy on the policy for emergencies, not for regular use. Your panel beating job COULD be seen to be a job leading to abuse of this courtesy.

As it would presumably be a 'private, social and domestic' uasge type policy then they were in theory wrong to deny him the open drive option!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mirrorwriter

Hi,
    I just passed, called them and was given the spiel about this but only once she checked what job I was still in. It seemed to be that if I had changed to certain occupations 'open drive' wouldn't have applied. So I'd say that is where the confusion lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

draffodx wrote: »
    I was told i had to have a fully comp policy with them 3 years ago to drive other cars, maybe this has changed

It has.

One thing to note - under this cover, when you are driving somebody else's car, quinn will provide you with the minimum amount of cover required by law. In other words, you can't be done for driving uninsured, but you really don't want to crash it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I got the 'open drive' part in my policy with Quinn, and Im 18. Fully comp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

$Leon$ wrote: »
    For Quinn the restrictions are you need a full licence, that the other vehicle isn't a commercial, a landcruiser or jeep.

Not sure would it differ if your original vehicle is a commercial.

Not exactly - just the other vehicle isn't a commercial. The fact that it's a landcruiser, jeep, or any other brand of 4X4 has no bearing, and if it's a passenger 4x4 you will still be covered.

And yes it does cover fairly high powered stuff. Much to Cian's glee!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I got the 'open drive' part in my policy with Quinn, and Im 18. Fully comp though.

"Open drive" or "drive other cars":confused:

I was under the impression that you had to be at least 25 for open drive regardless of the policy, i know neither Axa, Quinn or Tesco gave me open drive but have had drive other cars with all 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

And the car your driving has to be insured already by its owner.

The policy does not state this.
    Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the
    policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving
    any other private motor car which you do not own or have not
    hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement, as long as:

1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair.

This extension applies while being driven within the territorial
    limits and only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include:
    • vans;
    • car-vans;
    • jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back; or
    • vans adapted to carry passengers.
    http://www.quinn-direct.com/documents/policydocs/motor_policy_roi.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Quinn told me a year ago when i questioned them that :
    - i could drive any car once i had a full license and over 25
    - the car did not need to be insured by anyone else.
    - the car did not require an NCT but did have to be in a roadworthy condition.
    - i only had TPFT

they seem to change their policies every time they get a phone call. Friend of mine got charged for making a short term transfer of insurance about 6 months ago by Quinn but yesterday there was no charge

Advertisement