Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSN in UCD

Options
  • 20-05-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone got a chat client to work under the UCD network? I can sign into MSN fine via windows xp on my laptop, but I use linux for my college stuff. I've got chat programs like aMSN and Kopete on my Ubuntu OS but for some reason I can't sign into hotmail on campus using them? :confused: I've been using Web Messenger, but thats a bit too basic.

Anyone out there have any success signing in through clients other than Messenger? I've tried playing around with the ports etc, but no luck yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Tried pidgin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

No not yet, I couldn't install it on campus so I'll have to try get it when I'm home. I'd imagine it'll be the same story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Jesus, the post wasnt that long, yes he has tried webmessenger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I've had the same kind of problems on a Mac, it seems that MSN and Windows Live messenger are the only ones that'll work properly (Microsoft Messenger for Mac won't even work). I don't know if Pidgin will work, but I have my doubts. I use Adium at home; it's based on libpurple as well and it's a no go in UCD.

My suggestion since you already have a copy of Windows XP is to run it in a virtual machine inside Linux and run Windows Live Messenger. Annoying but I can confirm that it works.

Alternatively, I know my friend was running Adium over a VPN on the Netsoc server. I know absolutely nothing about VPNs but if you're in Netsoc (again, I'm not so I don't know :p) maybe you could talk to some of those guys and they'll sort you out?

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote:
    My suggestion since you already have a copy of Windows XP is to run it in a virtual machine inside Linux and run Windows Live Messenger. Annoying but I can confirm that it works.

Yeah thanks I'd also thought of that, I just have to finish tweaking with wine to get it running properly.
    Breezer wrote:
    Alternatively, I know my friend was running Adium over a VPN on the Netsoc server. I know absolutely nothing about VPNs but if you're in Netsoc (again, I'm not so I don't know :p) maybe you could talk to some of those guys and they'll sort you out?

As for Netsoc, it seems like the people running it have disappeared. I lost my username and password for my account there, and the email I sent them a while ago was never replied to. But thanks for the advice, it seems like using a VM is the way to go!

Notorious wrote:
    Yeah thanks I'd also thought of that, I just have to finish tweaking with wine to get it running properly.
    I didn't even think of Wine; it's been too long since I've played around with Linux. Gonna give Ubuntu Feisty a go once these damn exams are over! Happy to help, best of luck with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Jesus, the post wasnt that long, yes he has tried webmessenger
    Woops sorry. Just browsed it and saw msn messanger and ucd network and since we had topics on that recently just spouted general reply.

You get exasperated very easily dont ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Very few ppl seem to actually read other peoples posts. How can you offer an opinion when you havent acquainted yourself with the problem?

It's not just the laziness of not reading the post, its the lack of logic that boggles me: How do you / why bother write a reply to a post you havent read?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In Linux GAIM (now Pidgin) worked for me. You need to turn on the proxy in it - which is well hidden in the account settings!

Proxy: proxy.ucd.ie
    Port: 8484

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    In Linux GAIM (now Pidgin) worked for me. You need to turn on the proxy in it - which is well hidden in the account settings!

I've GAIM too actually. Found the proxy settings, under the modify account section then advanced. Does the proxy type have to be changed at all? Setting it to HTTP allows me to enter a host, port and username/password. Am I in the right place?

yep, HTTP is what you need.
    Host and port as i said above, nothing for username and password!

Red Alert wrote:

Really? Now that is interesting. I presumed Pidgin wouldn't work if Adium didn't, guess it's something other than libpurple that's screwing Adium up. Running Linux in a VM is a lot easier and cheaper than running Windows in a VM - I'll definitely be revisiting Ubuntu to try this out :D

Be careful with virtual machines, although i see no problem if you're using a HTTP proxy.

The problem would be averted a lot if computing services stopped being such tin pot dictators and opened the MSN port or a restricted SOCKS proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Red Alert, you must have laughed your way through Communications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

As for Netsoc, it seems like the people running it have disappeared. I lost my username and password for my account there, and the email I sent them a while ago was never replied to. But thanks for the advice, it seems like using a VM is the way to go!

Ok so here's the deal, netsoc's being going through a bit of a transition period as they are the only society in UCD to have accomplished their mission statement which is basically supplying internet to the whole of UCD. I'm heading into 3rd comp sci at the 'mo, I'm Lar for those of u in compsci, and I will be taking up some duties next year with getting projects running, I don't know what my specific job will be but I should be doing something over the summer, so if the general population have any suggestions throw them at us.

We have a new Head Systems Admin, Eoin, and I'm about to point him to this thread. I will also create a new thread in a few minutes to see what people actually want from netsoc so if a mod would like to make it a sticky when they see it.

With regards to the email you sent it probably went to Larry O'Neill who is no longer in the college but still plays an active role in Netsoc. If you want me to forward your query onto Eoin gimme a shout as I have no admin privilidges activated yet.

Yes as Red Alert pointed out Pidgin works.

i want netsoc to make their server run reliably. they have so many machine's it's unreal and yet this year has been stumbling from one disaster to the next.

Thanks Red Alert, got GAIM up and running on campus -- actually sctatch that heres another error. Looks like I spoke too soon! Ah well I'll figure it out eventually....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

..sooo what's Pidgin and where does one acquire it?

too embarrassed to display my ignorance earlier but now i'm just too curious...and too sick of study, msn would be a nice distraction ;)

pidgin (or GAIM) in its former incarnation can be got from google
    however, there's little benefit to using it if u can get the msn client to work on mac.

• Advertisement

Right, I've gotten Pidgin up and running, and its worked on my home connection with no problems. When I connect in the college, it connects then after 2 mins it disconnects, with an error "Connection error from Notification server: Reading error".
    You haven't come across this before have you Red Alert?

EDIT: I've also just noticed if I leave Pidgin running after is displays the error message, it keeps connecting itself automatically, then eventually disconnects but reconnects after a while etc.

I've even seen that problem with the ordinary MSN client. I think the college proxy can sometimes terminate the connection for reasons unknow.

Thanks for the help anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I'm not sure if he solved your hotmail problem because my eyes are tired and I can't read properly but I was confused by not being able to access gmail etc. for ages, until I realised I have to check "Use this proxy for all protocols" in whichever setting, since hotmail etc. use https which is of course not http.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I have to check "Use this proxy for all protocols" in whichever setting, since hotmail etc. use https which is of course not http.
    I actually understand that! Yea communications. Finally my elec degree is useful!

Advertisement