Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checklist

Options
  • 20-05-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently living in North Yorkshire in England, and I plan to move to Galway very soon and I was just wondering if someone could write me a checklist on the things I need to do in order to accomplish this because I'm not very good at this sorta stuff so it would be a great help!
    Thankyou.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

You'll need your PPSN (Personal Public Service Number) used be RSI ...

Some form of ID ... passport / Drivers License

You may want a birthcert as well ...

Money ... while you're getting set up in galway ... you'll be probably in a Hostel or similar ... you'll want to book wiht one of them as well ... as it'll be the summer months so they may not have much availability...

You'll want to check out the Galway Advertiser for accommodation ... http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/ ... try and find a place ASAP (hostels / b&b's add up) ... a lot of students should be leaving soon so finding a place shouldn't be too much of a problem ... You could also post here ... who knows someone might know of a place for a week or two or even longer :)

Depending on whether or not you've worked before ... you may want to sign on on the dole while looking for a job ... so you at least have some form of income ... The emergency dole office I think is down on Merchants road ..

Apart from that ... have your CV's done up ... most places won't even consider you without one ... have a LOAD of copies done up maybe 50 or so .. and just start handing them out ..

The galway advertiser would be a good place to look for jobs as well ...

You'll want to get tax sorted out ASAP as well or else you'll find half your wages gone on emergency tax ...

Others may be able to think of other things ...

Good luck .. :) and remember to budget once you arrive ... until you get set up and have some steady income :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kristinaxxs

Thankyou very very much! That is greatly appreciated!!
    Many thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

flight tickets
    money

re the money ...

Plan to be unemployed for 4 - 6 weeks ... and have an emergency plan for getting back home just in case it doesn't work out ... because depending on when you arrive ... there could be a lot of students looking for summer work as well ... and a lot of jobs could already be taken ...

Have a look on daft.ie

There is a Sharing section in Galway City

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct2&search=1&x=4&y=16

to get a better idea of prices ... most seem to be around the €75 mark a week ... you probably won't be able to afford a 1 bedroom appartment in galway like you can do in most european cities ... which means you'll be sharing an appartment / house with a lot of others ...

to figure out .. pounds to euros ... go to http://www.xe.com I usually say 1 pound is worth ... 1.5 euro ... its rough ... but should give you an idea ...

decide how close to the city center you want to live ... and try and get some idea of where you would like to live ... City Center .. is probably going to be more expensive .. than newcastle for example ... which is about 20 minutes walk from the city center ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bottled water and plenty of bog roll

• Advertisement

Lol, thankyou all for your help, it really helps me a lot! Being 19 and not the brightest crayon in the box and all..I appreciate all this so thanks!!:D I mean I guess I know people there, my gf lives there an a few of my mates so I'm not completely screwed if I fail. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your not to bad if you've got friends here, get them to organise a place to live for you. Your gf could ask their landlord if he's got something near by. If she could ask around for a job too, it's always easier to get a job through someone you know than to just be a stranger with a cv.

Don't forget to prepare your liver for hardcore Irish drinkin'

ScumLord wrote:
    Your not to bad if you've got friends here, get them to organise a place to live for you. Your gf could ask their landlord if he's got something near by. If she could ask around for a job too, it's always easier to get a job through someone you know than to just be a stranger with a cv.

Don't forget to prepare your liver for hardcore Irish drinkin'

Well my gf has her own house, I have a few friends there but they're not close close friends, but obviously my gf is but she rarely has spare time to look for jobs for me coz her job takes up hours an hours of time and by the time she finishes she's too tired to do anything else, I dunno tho I guess I'll work something out.

Lol an yeah, well, I don't really need to prepare I don't think considering I used to get drunk nearly every day which can't of been good but hey, maybe I was born to be irish, I just want the accent I think it's so sexy! Lol...

She only needs to put the word out with her friends, I'm assuming you'll be looking for something in the service industry waitress/barstaff. People in Ireland tend to hire friends of friends rather than go through all that cv's and interviews crap.
    I just want the accent I think it's so sexy! Lol...
    You haven't heard a good proper country accent so, some of the buffers around here sound like their choking on a live calf.

ScumLord wrote:
    She only needs to put the word out with her friends, I'm assuming you'll be looking for something in the service industry waitress/barstaff. People in Ireland tend to hire friends of friends rather than go through all that cv's and interviews crap.

You haven't heard a good proper country accent so, some of the buffers around here sound like their choking on a live calf.

Well yeah I'll ask around, an how do ya know I haven't heard a good proper country accent? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Good luck with the move, I came over in April and loving it here. Get your PPS number as soon as possible when you're over here and in accommodation as you can't do much else without it (like opening a bank account etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Well yeah I'll ask around, an how do ya know I haven't heard a good proper country accent? ;)

put kettle on and mash luv, id murder a cup of cha

MattKid wrote:
    Good luck with the move, I came over in April and loving it here. Get your PPS number as soon as possible when you're over here and in accommodation as you can't do much else without it (like opening a bank account etc)

Thanks:) , yeah will do, I can't wait :) I really dislike England!!

Thanks:) , yeah will do, I can't wait :) I really dislike England!!

You'll fit in grand here so (joke) :D

Lol okay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Will ye sit down for a cup of scald?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

30.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

you were in galway already?? Whats taking so long with the move? Last January you were talking about it. What sort of work you want to do?

Highly paid but extrememly easy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I just want the accent I think it's so sexy! Lol...
    not often you here that about the Galwah accent ( or most Irish accents for that matter )

• Advertisement

togster wrote:
    you were in galway already?? Whats taking so long with the move? Last January you were talking about it. What sort of work you want to do?

Last January? It was this January I was talking about it yeah but nothing was for certain. Now I'm seeing a girl who lives there and I've made it a definate decision. It's taking so long because I am currently unemployed, and my girlfriend has a job where it's difficult to sort a date for her to be with me here first to fit her schedule and I need her at my leaving do for personal reasons. Also, I wasn't in Galway already. I was visiting for the first time in February for 3 nights. I'm not sure of the work I want to do yet but I am planning on going back to college to study film & media, or something related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Then get a job in the cinema if you can:) I worked there for a few years during college and i loved it, its a great job if your into movies and are are looking for a stress free life! Theres 2 in the city itself and one farther out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

wait wait wait
    seeing a girl
    girlfriend

:D

DRakE wrote:
    wait wait wait

:D

Lol yes I'm bi, congratz for working that out :p

Then get a job in the cinema if you can:) I worked there for a few years during college and i loved it, its a great job if your into movies and are are looking for a stress free life! Theres 2 in the city itself and one farther out

Ah yeah that's an idea n a half! Thanx! :D

Will I need a work permit? They're well expensive!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any EU citizen can work in Éire without any special permit.

Ooh ok! :D

Advertisement