Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oversharged in Tesco

Options
  • 20-05-2007 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Last evening, I went shopping in Tesco & I bought 2 packets of the Jaffa easy peelers (hmmm). The price on the front of the stand said 1.49, down from 2.99. When I got to the checkout (self-service), they registered as 2.99. I called the attending till supervisor & had her cancel the items. Thinking I got the wrong pack of oranges, I went back to fruit & veg section & got another 2 packs.

I proceeded to check everything out & at the end noticed a reduction in my bill, but this was for something else which was buy 1-get 1 free.

So when I got home, my receipt does infact say that I paid 2.99 for these 2 packets of oranges. I checked the tesco website & the price in store (of 1.49) is correct until tomorrow (21/05/07). The 3euro that I was overcharged did not warrant my travelling back 5 miles to the store.

What should I do now in regards to this matter?
    I was half thinking of sending them an e-mail, but there are no contact details on the website.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yo should never have left the tll and said the price is 1.49.
    I suppose you could call them, or email them, or brin the receipt t tesco net time. Maybe take a screen shot of the offer in case they don't believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You are in luck-Tesco offer the product for free if you overcharged.
    You are entitled to €2.99 back and don't take a cent less.

My advise is keep the receipt and print off the page from the Tesco website.
    Simply go to the Customer Service desk next time you're in(as in next week, don't wait over a month).

You'll get your money-they are usually sound about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭jc7

Thanks for the replies, I'll bring in the receipt & web print out next week when I go to do my shopping. No point in going back for 3euro just now.

My mistake, the ad says "bought on or before the 20th", but the receipt says 19th.

attached is offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

micmclo wrote:
    You are in luck-Tesco offer the product for free if you overcharged.
    You are entitled to €2.99 back and don't take a cent less.

My advise is keep the receipt and print off the page from the Tesco website.
    Simply go to the Customer Service desk next time you're in(as in next week, don't wait over a month).

You'll get your money-they are usually sound about it

They used to but they've stopped advertising this and the last 3 or 4 times I've been overcharged (yes I am THAT unlucky) they just refund the difference in price. They won't argue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My local Tesco still does the 'If you're overcharged, you get the product and money back'
    It's a cheap way to keep the prices in check using customers instead of staff rechecking all the prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That policy is on a huge noticeboard behind the customer service desk in Tesco Artane Castle.
    There is no such notice in Tesco Drumcondra and this is possibly the case in other outlets.

If staff argue all you have to say is that you can't have different policies in different stores.
    Imagine if southsiders got refunds and northsiders didn't as an example.

If the staff have never heard of this policy, just persist and ask them to phone their Head Office.
    And be nice about it, working in Customer Service is a tough job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am always getting overchagred in local Supervalu (big one) as I am very pedantic about the prices on the shelf yet I am always made feel guilty with sheepish eyes on the manageress, even a coment once that I am always being overcharged in a snide manner. COuntry has gone to the dogs though in fairness Tesco is usally spot on. Hate it how they never give the reducation until the end of the receipt however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tesco in the square tallaght has a big sign saying the item is free if you are overcharged.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tesco seems to be managed by muppets. I was in Douglas the other day and wanted to get frozen wedges but all their wedges were defrosted as were some of their chips. Other products were ok. I eventually tracked down a manager and told him and his sole reaction was "ok... ahm right..I'll tell someone". Not even a "thanks" for telling them that a considerable amount of their stock was meltng...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I agree. I have the misfortune of having Tesco Rathmines as my nearest store and my god are they bad. The fruit and veg are always on their last legs, and they have no comprehension of stock control. They never seem to order enough of a lot of things.

Thankfully there's a Dunnes down the road along with an Aldi.

Snubbleste - never thought of it that way, but it does make sense that they are using the *customer* to keep their prices in check, as you rarely see their staff going round checking prices as you would in say, Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

eth0, you have my sympathy. I've been in that store and it is a disgrace. It's like being in a clearing house for the unsold from other shops

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I normally shop in Tesco and its fine most of the time, but what really annoys me is the trolly of cheapo stuff. Stock just on its sell by date, tatty cans and boxes no problem. But on a number of occasions I have taken a can that was so totally mashed it was dangerous and shown it to a manager, saying it shouldnt be on sale. One brilliant reply was 'I can't check out every tin that goes on display' this was a tray of tins of tomatoes on the shelf, not the trolly, and every single one was battered beyond using. The worst offender was a tin of that ham that comes in an oval tin, one end was totally crushed including the opening strip, enough to give anyone - possibly a hard-up mum or pensioner - food poisoning. I have never had an even interested reply. I suspect they are not aware that there is a problem.

Similarly the people in the vegetable area don't seem to be aware there is a problem with green potatoes, they just put them on 'special' - again I have mentioned it but they don't seem bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was just watching this programme on BBC1. I felt so sick I turned it off. Tescos were hammered. Falsifying records, selling goods past their sell by date, the list is endless. As the Irish stores are clones of the Uk ones the same practices must exist here.

WhistleblowerTuesday 22 May
    9:00pm - 10:00pm
    BBC1 Northern Ireland
    Supermarkets
    Following tip-offs from whistleblowers, reporters go undercover to investigate the health and safety of food in some of Britain's supermarkets. The findings might make some viewers think twice about certain trusted brands.
    VIDEO Plus+: 7551
    Subtitled, Widescreen

Advertisement