Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top 50 motoring flop (according to AOL)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Not the most well thought out place for Mitsubishi to advertise the new lancer. It almost looks like its part of the top 50 at first glance.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm getting a VW Polo ad! I doubt if the advertisers fully realise where the ads are placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm only getting six cars, the third of which is a Lancia Gamma. I'm assuming from this that the author is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm only getting six cars, the third of which is a Lancia Gamma. I'm assuming from this that the author is an idiot.
    There are links to the galleries under each picture where you will find more cars.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What a collection of pure flops! I nearly spat out some beer as some of the pictures loaded. Some cars are just pure ugly. I'd totally forgotten about some of the recent dodgy designs such as the Sintra, Vel Satis and A2.

Good link Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ah but it is missing some 'cult classics' like the DeLorean, Yugo, Shamrock, & Bricklin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The Ford Edsel is there, we actuall studied this in Management about how and why it flopped!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

astraboy wrote:
    The Ford Edsel is there, we actuall studied this in Management about how and why it flopped!:o

Ye the reason that they gave there for it's failure is not what I had heard (they say it did not sell due to poor build quality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

It was more complex then that, one problem was that women in general did not like the design of the front grille. When a husband and wife went out to purchase a car from Ford the wife did not like the edsel and so they did not choose that model! There were loads of other issues, how the design and testing was managed and how the car was marketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

h3000 wrote:
    There are links to the galleries under each picture where you will find more cars.
    I was referring to the presence of the Gamma in the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

crosstownk wrote:
    What a collection of pure flops! I nearly spat out some beer as some of the pictures loaded. Some cars are just pure ugly. I'd totally forgotten about some of the recent dodgy designs such as the Sintra, Vel Satis and A2.

Good link Mike.

Don't knock the A2!

It may have been a commercial failure but it is a cracking car!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good for some laughs and cries there, Mike :)

I liked this about the Chrysler 180:
    It was designed by Americans who thought they could just scale down a US saloon to the size of a Rover. With hopeless handling, a poor driving position and an unreliable engine,
    this was the car that ensured Chrysler would never make it as a European manufacturer.
    Anan1 wrote:
    I was referring to the presence of the Gamma in the list.

My first thought was the same. I drooled the few times I saw a Gamma coupe in my youth :)

I wouldn't put in a lot of cars there as flops, although commercially they probably were flops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I love the Gamma design I have to say. There was one in Cork back in the 90s.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I just puked a little.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:
    I wouldn't put in a lot of cars there as flops, although commercially they probably were flops

I was quite surprised to see the BMW 8 series in there - didn't think they were all that bad, apart from horrendous running costs.

Advertisement