Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buffing - does it really get rid of scratches?

Options
  • 20-05-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've just agreed to buy a car from a dealership and they'll be valeting it early this week for me to collect later in the week.

The body work is in generally great nick, but there are a few relatively minor scratches here and there. They said 'they'll just buff them out and you won't notice them'. What does that actually involve and does it actually work?

A few of the scratches might be in awkward to reach places so not sure if a buffer could get in there (e.g. inside side of wing mirror) - what can I reasonably expect to be done for those (i.e. is touching-up standard or should it be avoided as it might actually highlight the blemish)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Stuff like T-Cut can get rid of minor scratches - worked for me to an extent. I was doing it by hand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Buffing worked for me with my Golf.There were minor scratches and afew marks from going through the car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I've just agreed to buy a car from a dealership and they'll be valeting it early this week for me to collect later in the week.

The body work is in generally great nick, but there are a few relatively minor scratches here and there. They said 'they'll just buff them out and you won't notice them'. What does that actually involve and does it actually work?

A few of the scratches might be in awkward to reach places so not sure if a buffer could get in there (e.g. inside side of wing mirror) - what can I reasonably expect to be done for those (i.e. is touching-up standard or should it be avoided as it might actually highlight the blemish)?

the monkey the garage will get to do this will more than likely make it worse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Depending on how deep the scratches are, they can be removed by a machine polisher. Basically, it works by removing some of the clear coat till the scratches are gone. There are polishes like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish which contain fillers that will fill the scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the paint is scratched and the primer is revealed then it needs more paint - simple. However, smaller marks can easily be removed by buffing. Some marks can have the appearance of a scratch and these can be removed by someone who is good with a buffer. If the paintwork hasn't been waxed or protected in a while then it is more susceptible to marking from car washes, etc - even brushing badly protected paint with your finger nails can mark the paintwork! Very small scratches that aren't deep enough to reveal the primer can sometimes be removed with a polish like T-Cut or a light rubbing compound, which actually removes the top layer of paint so if you rub too hard (especially with rubbing compound) you could easily make the paint finish a lot worse.

The best bet is to regularly wax the paintwork with a good quality product. This way you can avoid getting smaller marks and keep the paint job looking it's best all at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for the info.

Thankfully all the scratches I noticed were superficial and didn't appear to have reached the primer. So, it sounds like I should let them buff it, and then make sure I wax it regularly, and only use manual spray car washes as opposed to automated machines?

Should i give it a once-over with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish when I first get it to fill any remaining small scratches and then start waxing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

So, it sounds like I should let them buff it, and then make sure I wax it regularly, and only use manual spray car washes as opposed to automated machines?

Should i give it a once-over with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish when I first get it to fill any remaining small scratches and then start waxing it?

Give a once over wash, claybar, polish and wax, then wash and polish when you feel like it after that. Never ever put you car through a carwash, they make bits of your paintwork (id leave my car filthy rather than use one).

Advertisement