Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing pumpkins from seed

Options
  • 20-05-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've had a go for the first time at the above but I've had some problems. I planted some seeds in a seed tray and some in small pots. They all grew well and fast until I transplanted the seed tray ones into pots to grow on before planting out. I followed the instructions with regard to keeping them indoors and putting them outside for a few hours each day to acclimatize bur, as I say, the transplanted ones have all died. I haven't planted any out yet and intend putting them in grow bags.
    I put some polystyrene packaging in the bottom of the pots first for drainage and used peat free bark compost. When I was emptying the pots out today the polystyrene seemed to have rotted away and there was an awful smell from it. Should I have used polystyrene in this way or has it perhaps poisoned the plants? Any other theories as to why the plants might have died?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

have a read through this Pumpkin info .....

http://pumpkinnook.com/howto/germinat.htm#germinate

I prefer a single seed, each in it's own small pot ..... water sparingly from the bottom .... prevent damping off with Cheshunt compound .... use peat based potting compost and then move onto peatfree compost in final planting container(grow bag etc) if you wish .....

Advertisement