Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Thread

Options
  • 20-05-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ive noticed there is no chemistry thread or maybe I'm just blind. Anyway post your predictions and querys here.
    These are the topics I'm doing:
    Heats
    Equilibium
    Ph
    Acids/bases/Salts
    Stoichiometry
    Organic + Chrom
    Atomic theory
    Titrations except soap + ethanol
    Le chatier, flame tests + anion test experiments

Unless I'm really unlucky I'll get my 8 qs from that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

So what are you leaving out exactly?

I don't see the point in leaving out a small amount. It won't cost you that much extra time and you're better off.

I refuse to follow pay attention to predictions in any subject. It's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

/me thanks god he does phys/chem.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Anybody else hate chromatography?

PS, is the heat of neutralisation experiment really on the course? It's listed as a mandatory experiment in the Chemistry Live book, but I heard it's not. Heard a whisper from a reliable source it might come up, if it is really mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

I hate chromatography aswell learning about all that instrumantation just doesnt seem necessary hplc... ir ...uv...gc zzzzzzzzZZZZ :confused:

I checked up heat of nutralisation at its defo on the syllabus
    Mandatory Experiments
    5.1 Determination of the heat of reaction of hydrochloric acid with sodium hydroxide.

and i think it was on my mock aswell so der mite b a good chance dat its up in june because it hasnt been examined yet in section A!

You only need to learn one method of chromotography....

So learn paper chromo. it's the easiest, and easy marks if it comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sully88

ethanoic acid preperation has not been asked yet in section A. Chances are that will be the organic expt Question. I also heard thet the heat of neutralisation could be up. I dont think the will be as mean to put up the test for anions as an experiment Q, they might put it up as half a Question in sextion B. The same goes for the flame tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

can i just ask something:

is a reversible reaction containing no gases affected by temperature. ( le chatelier's principle) because surely if there are more molecules on one side, then pressure would shift equilibrium to the side with less molecules, regardless of state of products/reactants.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

At chemistry inservice days teachers were told that the guy who sets the paper is likely to put up the heats of neutralisation because apparently the way he likes asking heat questions is leaning towards that happening this year.Our teacher came back from an inservice earlier this year armed with that info.

sd123 wrote:
    can i just ask something:

is a reversible reaction containing no gases affected by temperature. ( le chatelier's principle) because surely if there are more molecules on one side, then pressure would shift equilibrium to the side with less molecules, regardless of state of products/reactants.
    Do you mean is it affected by pressure?Many reversible reactions not containing gases are affected by temperature.But the way I read your question it looks like you meant pressure but i'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick.

more info your teacher came back with?

• Advertisement

sully88 wrote:
    more info your teacher came back with?
    Sorry?

Sorry I meant did your teacher come back with any more info from inservice?

sully88 wrote:
    Sorry I meant did your teacher come back with any more info from inservice?
    My fault I was watching the TV and so I had forgotten exactly what I had posted so I didn't get what you meant:D No thats the height of it really!They say the guy who sets the paper is a thermochemistry head and so its likely that he'll put up that practical in section A this year.I really don't know about the rest!The only other thing he came back with was a few handouts mainly on organic chemistry.Its also possible that thermochemistry could appear elsewhere on the paper as well.....more than just one short question on question 4.....

Sweet, thermochemistry questions are so easy.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Sweet, thermochemistry questions are so easy.
    Exactly!All we can do is keep our fingers crossed!The practical is the hot tip though...and if it doesn't show then the other tip is that there will be a chunky section B question on it....its one or the other but if its both, the section B will be slightly watered down.
    Again this is all PURE speculation and teachers second guessing the guy,but its better than nothing!Sure none of it could come up on the day!Personally I don't rely on predictions:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

lemansky wrote:
    Do you mean is it affected by pressure?Many reversible reactions not containing gases are affected by temperature.But the way I read your question it looks like you meant pressure but i'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick.

ye i did mean pressure:o

sd123 wrote:
    ye i did mean pressure:o
    Cool.I asked the teacher today and he said no........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I was told by 2 teachers who didn't know each other (one from Dublin, one from Cork)
    That the bleach expirement may come up for the titrations
    Ethanoic Acid/Clove exp would come up for Organic
    And maybe a rates Q.

Anyone study the Industrial Chemistry/Atmospheric Chemistry? We never studied it in class - but I just read it there and the Questions are dead simple.

In regards to the chromatography, our teacher gave us an excellent sheet with all the principles, uses, and processes on it. Its narrowed down so we just need to learn off the sheet and we'd get through all Q's. If someone wants me to email them it, you can send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Ya our Chem teacher told us the Bleach question is gonna come up.

Does anyone else find themselves wondering: Why the **** did I pic Chemistry?

No.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    No.

:D:D
    No I have to say our teacher made it very easy for us.Its also a pretty short course so planty of time for going over things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

anyone else got a week off now for this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Yep I do! My next Exam is Chemistry on the Tuesday and then music on thurs next week! Ive loads of work to do for chemistry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

i dont like the instrumentation..

Anyone knows about haloAlkanes???

and those propagation and terminations things in organic chem :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

"and those propagations" can be drawn to get full marks by the way.

However if they ask you to describe as well, then you have no choice. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Copper_90210

ya defo. in 5th year i thought chemistry was a doddle. this year tho i did nothing +i kept puttin it off. now d exams only a few days away and ive no idea where 2start studyin!!
    any other predictions wud help?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cipriana

What is the thermochemistry practical you were saying was likely to come up? Also I hear definitions count for 50%!

Cipriana wrote:
    What is the thermochemistry practical you were saying was likely to come up? Also I hear definitions count for 50%!

Heat of neutralisation I think it was.I have to say at this stage I'm sick of definitions!

Advertisement