Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to do a degree in maths (mature student) advice/grinds required

Options
  • 20-05-2007 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd love to go back to college and do a degree in maths, for the pure fun of it.
    When I did my leaving cert (12yrs ago) I got a pass in pass maths :) So, I figure I need to improve my skills before I apply. The TCD course requires a B in honours maths.

What's the best way about getting myself upto the standard?
    Would one grind a week be the best way to do it, or do I need to do something a bit more intensive?

I'd especially like to hear from people who've cultivated an aptitude in maths, i.e from being not very good to being very good :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Buy a LC maths book and learn it I guess. Apparently college maths is nothing like LC maths though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

I'm confused. Why do you want to do a degree in maths now? Its pretty unusual that you did pass maths in the leaving and want to do a degree in it now???? I'm not sure if it would really suit you unless you seriously think you have a natural ability in maths that you just hid away in school. The entry requirement is a B but pretty much everyone in the course would have an A. I know a guy whos doing that degree in trinity and to be honest hes nothing short of a genius at maths. But all this said if you are still really intrested I'd say do as many grinds as you can afford! Good luck mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Before wating money on grinds, go onto wikipedia of wolframs maths world and look at some college maths. Decide that it is what you really want to do before wasting money on grinds. Also if you really want to do maths, you should be well able to teach yourself the honours maths course. Not only that, you cannot cultivate an ability in maths. You can do well by studying your ass off, but I don't see that as an enjoyable way to spend four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You might also consider checking out some of the options from the Open University. My wife wanted to do an earth sciences degree, which required some basic but solid maths as a service subject. She did a module with OU called "Maths for Science" (course code S151). I'm a maths teacher and have seen a lot of good stuff, but I really thought these course materials were excellent. They're geared for people like you coming back after a long time away, so, unlike schools books, they don't assume that you remember all of the previous year's stuff!

A course like that would allow you to ease your way back into things. If you find it tough going, then a pure maths degree like the one in TCD is perhaps not for you, but you might come up with other options (like a two-subject moderatorship in TCD, or a science degree). Also, if you decide to continue with OU, you'll already have started clocking up credits. If you still fancy your hand at the TCD degree after this intro, then you could get stuck into the LC Higher course with grinds from a GOOD teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CaoimheA

I failed maths through Ty and 5th year but I got a one on one grind and it was brilliant. I started off with 2 classes a week and broke it down as I got better. After a while it become's second nature

Good Luck man

• Advertisement
Advertisement