Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering - Mechanical Engineering

Options
  • 20-05-2007 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello,

I am sitting my Leaving Cert Maths 07/08 in the hope to get into the Mechanical Engineering Course ( Higher Certificate ), im only returning to study this yr after nearly 10 yrs jezas i sound old, and i am just wondering how hard this course is and is there any thing specific i should look up before i decide to do this course, any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.....:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Daknight

i just finished the first year of mechanical engineering ord degree,subjects have different names but as far as i know its all nearly the same,mainly you study physics,a lot of maths,stuff to do with measurements,electric circuits,quality standards concerned with engineering in a production company,and studying materials and how to test them and the processes to work on them
    *edit*
    main thing to do is to just focus on your maths because the maths(for the first year) is all to do with leaving cert maths,and get a book on physics and look over that,some of it in it is used,mainly friction,speed,acceleration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

as mentioned by darknight maths is mainly leaving cert stuff, if you have done any physics even better not essentail though its mainly linear, angular accerlation, friction, pressure, its generally all quite understandable, this from a student who also returned to college long after my use by date and found im not alone either, but basically with lc maths under your belt will leave time to focus more on the other subjects. as for looking stuff up before starting, if you can find anything on material science, meterolgy, electrical science, but really you could read on these for months and be miles away from what you will cover in lectures as i found that what is covered is a small part of each subject maybe get an understanding of what the subjects are and you will be half way there. im sure you can find a list of all the subjects covered in first and second year on the college website and take it from there. whatever you decide good luck. ive just finished up for the summer and enjoyed every bit of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulysoprano

Thanks lads you have been a great help!!!!!!!!:)

Advertisement