Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Clubs

• 20-05-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Morning gents,
    Right, I will make this quick.
    I am in the proces of buying a new set of clubs, well everything, driver, woods, rescue club Irons putter and bag.
    I am not bother about the price I just want a good set.

I have been looking at a few different set of Irons
    Callaway x-18, x-20
    Cobra s90
    Taylor Made r7 draw series.
    Taylor Made RAC II
    A couple of Ping sets also.

As for the woods, I havent decided on anything yet as I would prefer to head into the shop to get a feel for the club, as I will do with the irons.
    My question is, do you know anything wrong with the above irons, do you know anybody that bought a set and just werent happy with them for a particular reason.

The weight, the feel, more importantly the shot they created.
    Any feed back would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Murph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

All the irons you mention there are quailty, try stay away from the draw series. There really just for bad golfers who dont wanna work on their swing

If money isnt an option get a set of titleist, i got a set in jan and i love them. I got a set of 755's very nice. I used to have a set of callaway x 16's and can tell you callaway are a great set also, A friend of mine got a set of x 18's today in premier golf for 349 in the sale, with that price its hard not to steer you towards a set of them, nice cavity on them and nothing new in the x20's from what i can see.

It really is up to yourself just cos someone else doesnt get on with a set doesnt mean the set is crap , its all about the golfer. From your choices there its just deciding if u want a merc or a beamer.

woods; r7 superquad looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Thanks for the reply.
    I do like the look and feel of the callaways, I am seriously stearing towards them.
    Where is premiergolf, do they have an online shop? at that price for x-18s its hard to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

hi magic_murph,
    if money is no object then you should certainly get you're swing analysed and have a custom set made up. that includes the putter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

I bought a set of x-20's a few weeks back in mcGuirks for 500. V happy with them, lovely set of irons. But as eveyrone is different you are better off going and hitting a few balls with a selection of clubs. Ping g5 are v nice too, but they were too rich for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

Premier Golf in kilcoole, Newbridge, Red Cow and Santry as far as i know. Not sure about phone numbers etc, also mizuno are a good price there i was in killcoole today, also they have 50 % of all mcgregor clubs so got a cheap rescue while i was there too. Any questions just ask there usually friendly kilcoole i think is a great shop very friendly.
    They do custom fits so make sure to ask them to custom fit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Cheers dudes,
    Good advice.
    I have decided to head out to PremierGolf in Santry this weekend to get custom fitted, once I know the type of club that will suit I will decide on a set of Irons, I am stearing greatly towards the Callaway x-20, and a couple of Taylor Made woords.
    Heres hoping I will be able to drop a few shots
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

you can't go wrong with the taylor made woods imo, very good clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I bought the Callaway X-20's steel shafts a month ago (4 t o SW) . Really nice feel to them . Low irons are especially good. Bought a ram wizard rescue 21 degree loft as 3 iron not included . Suggest you try them first before buying . You could go to driving range beside Coachmans Pub at airport ( beside ulster bank ) as they have loads of clubs including x-20's - test clubs are 6 irons only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

foxyboxer wrote:
    hi magic_murph,
    if money is no object then you should certainly get you're swing analysed .......that includes the putter!
    WTF ?

A good joke I presume:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Davittdr

I picked up a set of Callaway X-20 from the Golf Crèche in Dundrum, they have a really good range of clubs to try out on their simulator, I paid €80 for a 1 hour fitting session and this was deducted from the cost of the clubs. I tried numerous sets of irons and the Calloways worked best for me. cost €550 for the set but while trying the clubs out Gary gave me a few tips which have already helped my game. He put a full set of clubs together for me where he removed the Calloway Wedge and included 2 really good spin milled lob wedges and the total cost was €1500 - a bit too steep for a high handicapper like me so I ended up swapping out the woods/driver and picked up a 2nd hand Ping Si3 and and 7 wood plus a new Cobra baffler. total cost ended up being €990 including a calloway bag. Will have to wait tiil fathers day to get the Lob wedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Premiergolf is the way to go, got Taylormade TPs a couple of weeks back, outstanding irons, great feel etc. Was lookin towards Callaways, hit the ball a mile but just get clunky looking from 8 iron up, as regards woods, the Ping G5 driver is very forgiving and good golfers and developing golfers tend to hit it the same distance from my experience. The most crucial thing when buyin a golf club is to get the right shafts for irons and drivers alike, Premiergolf will match your swing speed to a shaft so you're not daisy cutting/ballooning every shot! i have the ping g5 fairways, thought they were the business til one of my mates gave me a srxon rescue club, not sure what mode, goes like the clappers, awesome to hit, serious distance and forgiveness, thought they were all just a gimmick but i'm sure there'll be one finding its way into my bag soon! anyway, thats my two pence worth. If ya need anything, ggive me a shout!

Advertisement