Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oh lordy, my final letter to 3.

• 20-05-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

here it is lads, have enough of this crowd.!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id be more inclined to use a more 'formal' style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Cyrus wrote:
    id be more inclined to use a more 'formal' style

Agreed.
    Have you contacted Comreg about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

no, fcuk comreg.

im dealing with 3 on this, i mean seriously, i have no idea where they get the gall to send a bill for this fee. i havent even used 3 broadband much since february.

they can suck my c***, as far as i am concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You might be well advised to seek some assistance from Comreg, they may prevent this from happening again, and as well as that if 3 go legal on you you will need to show that you've taken steps to try to resolve this using all means possible.

As well as that the informality of your letter probably does you no favours.

taking steps to resolve this? you mean 2000 phone calls to 3 customer service?
    i will tone done the letter a bit, but i dont see much wrong with it. i mean they are cowboys, alot of people here had issues with them.

they cant just go sending bills like this to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Your letter needs a serious re-write, perhaps even scrapping and re-doing. If you don't see much wrong with it, I don't think you'll get very far with this issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've read the first 2 paragraphs and already (putting myself in the shoes of a 3 cs rep) I'd put your "issue" to the bottom of the pile.

Reqrite it as advised though - you sound like a cock in this "letter" to be honest.

Clearly tell them what your problems are in a list. Tell them what you've done to try and resolve them. Let them know again (specifically) how they've tried to do this and let them know where it all stands now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a mad overcharge on my bill from O2, admittedly not quite as high as yours, but the principle is the same. I wrote them a polite letter telling them I would not be paying it and why and in the end they wrote it off.

It appeared they thought I had downloaded large numbers of 'youth'-type downloads - songs, ringtones, videos etc. When I pointed out I was over 40 and still not going to pay, they eventually gave up. I dread to think what they would have done had I been 14 and not quite as stubborn.

If I were you I'd change the tone of your letter. Imply 'there must be some mistake' rather than accusing them outright, but make it clear you will not be paying until they furnish you with proof that the bill was run up by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I cannot download or read this attachment but given the previous style of Legs and his famed righteous indignation I can only guess at the contents. Please, please, please do not send whatever it is you have written in its current form. Calm down and rewrite it or get me to write it for you. You are NOT out of pocket and so there is no need to work yourself up like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I second culabula. I have actually read it, and while your writing style would be warranted if they had actually taken €1500 out of your account, they have not. Yes, they messed up and did things they should not have, but that's not an excuse for you to copy them and do to them what they did to you.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

So in a way, while I think 3 may have brought this kind of thing on themselves with their poor customer service, and as a result I do not blame you, I still think you could deal with this significantly better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It is probably too late now, but here is what I would have done: cancel the direct debit, and continue paying the amount owed every month (in this case €39.99 a month). I would also have written them a formal letter explaining the issue and how it was not dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seriously, how old are you? Under 20?
    Because that letter makes you seem like an immature teenager and it will get you nowhere but the rubbish bin.
    If you phoned a representative like that they'd hang up on you and this letter will get much the same response.

And what's this about 2000 phone calls. If you exaggerate to us(and we want to help:) ), then how do we know the letter isn't a total exaggeration?

Sure you are angry but you are dealing with a corporate business so write it properly.
    Clear, concise and cut out the swearing and the waffle.
    Less sentances-more bullet points!

Look for a template if you need help.
    I'd be suprised if you didn't get to write letters in school for a business course or possibly civics. I know I did and it's a useful skill.

Remember if this letter fails your next step may possibly be the small claims court. Are you going to hand that letter to the clerk and expect to taken seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

dont under any circumstance ever send that letter,you have over 10 people saying that already, so should that be telling you something?

You will always get respect if you keep your letters formal,factual and to the point,to me you must of wrote that letter whilst you where fuming so just relax..think what your going to say and keep it polite.

if your letters where bad..hate to think what the phone calls are like!

Has the tone of your emails being like this...maybe thats why you havent got anywhere with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

OMG, you think they are taking the piss.it looks like you are.
    If you cant write a letter then get someone else to write.I couldnt even read it as i closed the file after the 4th line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Correct.

Mixture between formal and informal language. Most of it needs a total rewrite. If you don't want this, don't bother sending it at all - you will just give them a laugh. TBH, on what grounds to you mean that they are cowboys - you are in a TINY .0001 percentage of customers with these problems, and you write a polemic letter in this way? There was another thread with someone giving out about three about 50 times, about the same case - are you the same person? You're not helping them getting better by throwing via this 'angry teenager' attitude, which I believe you have since you defend your letter straight on.

They will also stop reading after (at least) the 4th line - if they will bother about it at all. Sorry to tell you, but that is a totally unbalanced, unfocused letter, which also is biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Indeed OP, a quick scan of your past threads show that at least 75% are moaning about companies, politicans and loads of other topics.
    You're one angry individual.

You have a degree so I'm assuming you have a graduate level job. Well done!
    You would have got that job by being professional so simply apply that here.

I can see your letter ending up on the canteen wall in the 3 office :D

ok lads, theres no need to be hostile now:D

i am over 30, and maybe i was a bit harsh in the letter, but i toned it down

below are transcripts of the email i sent to comreg (oh yes) and also cc'd to 3.

and also the letter i sent 3 (re-written).

frankly i am sick of all this, as all the posters know by now, i am not a moaner and pay all my bills and blah blah. but this one with 3 takes the biscuit. they want it payed by june now it seems. so i had to take drastic action. and cease all activity with them from now on, i just cant tolerate this rubbish any longer.

____________________________________________________________________ letter to comreg

hi there,

I am writing to complain about my treatment with 3, the mobile operator and in particular the broadband package they use.

I signed up with the broadband 3000 package in february, which gave you 3 gigabytes a month for 39.99euro. if you exceeded the quota you would pay something like 40cent a kilobyte --.

i was provided with a data card and a usim for the package. the data card was a pcmcia type, which is more or less obsolete and doesnt work with new laptops, my dell is a year old and it doesnt work with it. new laptops have an express slot, which is a new improved version of pcmcia

anyway, i used my motorola v3xx which i purchased from 3 as an upgrade at the same time to connect to the internet, the v3xx had hsdpa facility.

i had no formal way to monitor data usage, how much i had remaining etc.i used the 'my3' function which 3 provided to see how much bytes i had remaining, but i found out this was not updated in real time, while using the data sim in my v3xx i was using the 'my3' to monitor my usage and was surprised to see it pretty static , despite downloading a few programs and videos in febuary. the 'my3' facility has a feature called current spending, which basically is how much you are outside of the monthly fee. while monitoring my usage i also checked this and it was still zero or perhaps a few euros, for sending text messages for instance, which are not included in the price plan.

one weekend then, the current spending went from zero to over a thousand euro, over a few hours on a sunday.

so what happened is that i was actually exceeding my quota all week but the 'my3' utility which i was using to monitor my usage was giving me an incorrect reply. 3 basically never monitored my usage fast enough or in real time.
    i rung 3 customer service about this when i found the current spending of over a thousand euros and they agreed it was their problem and they would waive the fee and told me forget about it.

i thus got a bill for 39.99 for february, and also for march.

from then on i was constantly checking my usage so not as to exceed my limit of 3 gigabytes. i also exchanged the motorola v3xx for a nokia n73, th3 v3xx was the worst handset i ever used, (i also used my voice sim in the handset, and it was brutal, the coverage and battery life, everything about it.).

so i was using my n73 to conect to the internet in march until now, at 3g speed, not hsdpa speed. as the n73 had no hsdpa. i also got disconnected from the internet constantly and the coverage kept fluctuating between 2.5g and 3g, which made my time on 3 very very fustrating. 3 had no usb modem at the time, but they are trying to release one now i believe.

i got billed normally for a while but in march, while uing 'my3' to monitor my usage i noticed it went from 2 or 3 euros to over a thousand euros, over a matter of days, the only way it cold do this would be if someone hijacked my account or if i excceded my quota, but this was the middle of march and i still was well within my 3 gigabyte quota. and had no reason to go over it, certainly not by around 1,600e which they quoted.

when i saw this , i rung 3, but they were unable to offer an explaination, and despite several, i mean dozens of calls to 3, i have been issued with an april bill for over 1,500e for my march usage.

i am not paying this and have a document attached which i am sending 3.

their customer service leaves alot to be desired and i know of several people on discussion forums in ireland who have issues with 3.

one person i spoke to , a billing person, would not explain the fee in my march bill under the heading 'other charges and fees' for over 1,600e.

he suggested if i could pay half of it?????????????!!, i dismissed him immediately and lodged a complaint againt them via email.

i am finding it difficult to have a meaningful conversation with their customer service as they are all non native speakers it seems.

i am sorry for this long winding letter, but decided i would have to let you know about this. i have also attached a transcript of my complaint to 3.

regards.

letter to 3, which also i gave to comreg as attachment

As per my email to 3 customer service on the 19/5/2007, and countless emails and phone calls prior to that. I am returning my obsolete and unused 3 data card.
    You have no right to send me a bill in April for over a thousand euro and expect me to pay it. And you are having a laugh if you think I will pay it.
    The April bill dates back to usage during the month of March, in March I did not even exceed my quota of 3 gigabytes, let alone rack up a bill of over a thousand euro.
    While checking my usage in march with ‘my3’ I noticed the current spending shoot up from a couple of euro to over a thousand euro in a few days, I rung up 3 after noticing this but was given no explanation.
    3 are just cowboys and cannot even monitor or bill people accordingly. Several of my calls to 3 were futile, and I was hung up on more than once, 3’s treatment of me is appalling, I have paid hundreds of Euros in bills since when I first joined you and this is all I get for my loyalty.
    I have made my point over the error in the bill to 3 customer service but you are too ignorant to accept it and apologise.
    3 have no idea how to treat customers properly; some guy from 3 billing even suggested I pay half the fee, I mean is he joking. Half the fee? it’s like he is saying we are taking the Mickey but we still would like your money.
    3 need to hire more people from 02 and Vodafone so customers can converse properly and have meaningful conversations that are resolved properly.
    I am enclosing a cheque for €50, to cover my data card usage for April and May, why should I pay for the month of May when I only used it for 12 days?
    I also have included a fee of €61.43 for my talk time 200 bill up to 1st may 2007.
    I have used a nokia n73 to connect to the internet since I changed the rubbish v3xx, since then I constantly got disconnected, and the coverage kept changing between 2.5 and 3g, so my over all experience with 3 broadband was rubbish and you have the gall to send me this ridiculous bill.
    I want to finish my involvement with 3 immediately and will revert back to Vodafone who know how to run a business and how to send proper bills.

Ps: I have also notified comreg of this complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

letter is not greaqt to be honest, wont get you anywhere.

From reading through other threads on the issue with 3, seems to me most people are happy with them and they are doing good job, cheap, good coverage...just seems to be the same people complaining about the same things really....

even going by Commander Vs poll, mostly positive...

tough tittie so.

if they did charge me for my excess usage in february, why was it not billed until like april? because i did not even use up all my 3g quota in march, that i know for a fact.

if they cant bill people properly its not my problem i am sending this data card back to that peter bloke in dublin 2 tomorrow and he can take a hike tbh.

i had a vodafone modem for a while and returned it, no problems and they never billed me either, but 3...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Bulmers wrote:
    even going by Commander Vs poll, mostly positive...
    no its not, the negatives are just more spread out.

12 were pissed off enough to leave
    9 had problems that were caused by customer care not knowing anything
    11 had problems that were never fixed <---that really says a lot
    6 had problems that took ages to fix

total:38

22 had problems that were fixed quickly
    11 were happy but never had to call them

total: 33

and i wouldn't really count the 11 because the problems only start with 3 when you call them so really its 22 good and 38 bad

:)

edit: 13 were pissed off enough to leave. i cancelled my contract the other day

• Advertisement

Have you seriously sent such a letter? That is not very wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Phrases like "if you exceeded the quota you would pay something like 40cent a kilobyte --" will tell Three that you have no real knowledge of what you're arguing. You should sound certain and have your facts correct before sending such a letter.

yes, its done and dusted cula. got no more patience for them.

i have paid my april bill for 39.99 (what it should be) and also i gave them something for may, even thought i didnt use the data card this month.

i also paid my bill for my voice sim this month.

all that and the letters and data card going back to dublin 2 in the morning.

i think alot of people here are too soft and just accept this nonsense. if you dont kick up a fuss and get mean with these guys they will keep on doing the same crap.

which customers should not put up with.

i am also going to copy and print out that extract from cv above about the customers.

as for the 40cent kilobyte thing, that doesnt matter, i havent gone over my limit after the february incident, and they told me they waived that.

i will let ye know how this goes, but 3 are just losers. with a customer service the people of the omo tribe would not put up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

i think alot of people here are too soft and just accept this nonsense.

I think a lot of people here just cried when they saw the English language being mangled in such a way. I know I winced to see letter writing skills seem to have gone out the window for a whole section of the community...but that's a whole other debate.

As someone else pointed out, a letter like that will always go to the bottom of the pile.

When taking on a company, you need to really hone your writing skills. Clarity, accuracy, firmness and logic go a long way. Disjointed, all-over-the-place and somewhat truculent just doesn't cut it.

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think a lot of people here just cried when they saw the English language being mangled in such a way. I know I winced to see letter writing skills seem to have gone out the window for a whole section of the community...but that's a whole other debate.

As someone else pointed out, a letter like that will always go to the bottom of the pile.

When taking on a company, you need to really hone your writing skills. Clarity, accuracy, firmness and logic go a long way. Disjointed, all-over-the-place and somewhat truculent just doesn't cut it.

I agree with you.I think he will get no reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You need to write it in a very formal style. Using any kind of bad language, or anything other than businesslike wording will just lose you the moral high ground and make you look like a crank.

You really need to be quoting their T&Cs back at them and making a very strong argument that will leave them no option but to deal with this.

CC the letter to Comreg.

Also include a Re: _________
    and make sure you mention FORMAL COMPLAINT

and quote your billing account number & 3 Mobile number.

Comreg always suggest this.

Solair wrote:
    You need to write it in a very formal style. Using any kind of bad language, or anything other than businesslike wording will just lose you the moral high ground and make you look like a crank.

You really need to be quoting their T&Cs back at them and making a very strong argument that will leave them no option but to deal with this.

CC the letter to Comreg.

Also include a Re: _________
    and make sure you mention FORMAL COMPLAINT

Comreg always suggest this.

I think he said he has already sent it :eek:

legs11 wrote:
    yes, its done and dusted cula. got no more patience for them.

Words fail me. Unfortunately, they will also fail you.

drdre wrote:
    I think he said he has already sent it :eek:

Yes. And he began the letter to them "Hi there".

Good call.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote:
    Yes. And he began the letter to them "Hi there".

Good call.

Thats why i am saying he wont get a reply :)

He should have addressed it to someone head in 3 or head of customer service.
    Im not good at letter writing and if i had a problem i would ask someone for help but it looks like he didnt.

Advertisement