Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy on Boards

Options
  • 20-05-2007 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

This is an issue that arose today. I'm not arguing the case itself but would be interested in what you think of the problem in general.

You may be familiar with the term 'Astroturf' posters. This is where organisations get people to pose as uninterested and go on internet sites to sing the praises of that organisation and/or products or services of that organisation.

For instance if I was launching the XBox 361 next year, I might pay a large group of people to go onto internet forums and build up a bit of a buzz about that product. Pose as gamers and generally build up it's profile.

This has been discussed here before over the years and the general sentiments was that this noise was unwelcome here.

Boards.ie is a prime target for people to come on here and pretend to be disinterested and sell all kinds of things from MP3 Players, SatNavs to Hosting (probably shouldn't have brought that one up ;) ). Usually these people are quite obvious and are spotted very quickly.

What about the ones that slip under the radar? Should people have to declare vested interests in certain fora?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You're talking about Shills. They are generally removed very quickly from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How has "privacy" got anything to do with shilling?Unless, you mean that they can hide as we don't request a DNA sample prior to signing up? (not being particularly cheeky, just not seeing where you're coming from:))
    Many shills are caught out and removed and their product/service becomes less desirable in the eyes of thousands... *shrug* What about the ones that slip under? The only way to get rid of the scourge is to eliminate all discussion of products,etc. or to eliminate all marketing types. The first is not an option...

What are your suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Karoma wrote:
    How has "privacy" got anything to do with shilling?
    If someone publicly identifies the shiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well tbh there is commercial shilling and then this incident you are talking about which got you banned from Politics again, 5 minutes after you were unbanned.

To fill everyone in ballooba outed a member of boards as a worker/aid to a government minister. TBH I knew this person had an interest/affiliation to a certain government political party and had no major issue with that as they were/are well capable of discussing their position.

Alot of people have affiliantions with various political organisations that post in politics, I for example am an ex-member of the Labour party. Some make it obvious and others don't but providing they are prepared to discuss their opinions properly there is no issue with them posting.

The issue today is you posted this persons real name openly without thinking about the consequences of doing so. Maybe his employers are unaware he posts here, maybe they would be unhappy he does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm not sure what 'privacy' has to do with this either. The second comment about 'public identification' appears to be completely detached from the original post. Without knowledge of the situation referred to this thread appears to be direction-less and pointless.

If someone is a shill they should get banned and the offending material deleted. If someone is a skilled enough shill to avoid getting detected then I don't see what can be done. If someone thinks someone is a shill and decides to out them then it's really up to the mods on the board in question.

EDIT: Now I see the hidden agenda. In this case I agree with Gandalf. Outing someone as purporting to be something they are not is one thing but publicly disclosing someone real name, etc is going a bit far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heck if party hacks want to post as party hacks and thats understood I'd welcome it.

Mike.

gandalf wrote:
    Maybe his employers are unaware he posts here, maybe they would be unhappy he does?
    His employer has used that defense before, it's fairly transparent.

I believe that people should have to declare if they are posting in fora where they have vested interests. I have a lot more respect for people who do declare their vested interests and I respect their opinions more when they are known to be taken with a pinch of salt. For instance a particular Mini salesman on the motors forum.

I'm not looking to discuss my banning, I've already said it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ballooba wrote:
    I believe that people should have to declare if they are posting in fora where they have vested interests.
    Why do you feel that gives you the right to out them if they fail to do so themselves?

TBH after you telling me which Minister he works with I feel sorry for him :D

LOL Tristrame banned ya so its between you and him ;)

The original post could be effectively be replaced with:
    "Should people have to declare vested interests in certain fora?"

This would be a lot clearer.

There is one board where this is the case. Unless things have changed the UCD board requires anyone involved in Students Union politics declare their affiliation or be banned to avoid the tard-fest that would happen otherwise.

• Advertisement

The original post could be effectively be replaced with:

This would be a lot clearer.

There is one board where this is the case. Unless things have changed the UCD board requires anyone involved in Students Union politics declare their affiliation or be banned to avoid the tard-fest that would happen otherwise.

Interesting, might be worth considering but tbh shills would be quite easy to spot unless they are extremely skilled.

Personally as I said once they are prepared to discuss their position then I have no issue with them posting? I do not like the idea of people being outed because they are involved with FF, FG, Labour, PD's, Sinn Fein etc etc most of us can gather after a few posts what way peoples fancies are positioned with regards to politics & parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

IMO there is no problem shouting shill at someone if you know it's true but posting the someone's real name (even if a shill) on here is a big no no and could warrant a site ban

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ballooba wrote:
    His employer has used that defense before, it's fairly transparent.

I believe that people should have to declare if they are posting in fora where they have vested interests. I have a lot more respect for people who do declare their vested interests and I respect their opinions more when they are known to be taken with a pinch of salt. For instance a particular Mini salesman on the motors forum.

I'm not looking to discuss my banning, I've already said it was worth it.

I personally don't think they should have to declare 'vested interests' as that could mean anything. For instance does everyone have to declare in advance who they last voted for , if they are a member of a political party or who they work for? If so, why? Are their opinions no less valid?

I understand where you are coming from with people letting on that they are what they are not. As long as they don't do this I don't see the problem.

As for you actually naming someone on a public forum. If that's what happened that's way way way out of order and there would be a case for a permanent ban from boards in my opinion.

Why anyone would feel the need to identify someone like that is beyond me. Why not just say you know they are involved with a certain party or whatever?

gandalf wrote:
    Interesting, might be worth considering but tbh shills would be quite easy to spot unless they are extremely skilled.
    I actually agree that it's not worth doing. I just said I'd point out the example. It would be a logistical nightmare too and would probably fill feedback and politics with sprawling arguments about what constitutes an 'affiliation'. Also, bad as some of the Politics arguments can become the are still relevant regardless of whether someone is hiding their affiliation.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's easy to police in UCD because there is such a low number of people who are active in the union, and you'd be surprised at the extent to which people think nicknames hide their identity.

The rule has fallen away from UCD recently because SU discussion is, thankfully, at an all-time low. It was really more for the discussion at the start of the year and in the run-up to elections.

Anyway, it would be practically impossible to police on a country-wide basis for the site.

Why do you feel that gives you the right to out them if they fail to do so themselves?
    I was already banned. So that is not the issue.
    RuggieBear wrote:
    IMO there is no problem shouting shill at someone if you know it's true but posting the someone's real name (even if a shill) on here is a big no no and could warrant a site ban
    No need to hang me completely! :eek:
    <snip>
    gandalf wrote:
    I do not like the idea of people being outed because they are involved with FF, FG, Labour, PD's, Sinn Fein etc etc most of us can gather after a few posts what way peoples fancies are positioned with regards to politics & parties.
    It's a bit different now if they are getting paid.
    copacetic wrote:
    For instance does everyone have to declare in advance who they last voted for , if they are a member of a political party or who they work for? If so, why? Are their opinions no less valid?
    For companies, if they work in marketing or sales maybe.
    For political parties, membership.

I'm a member of Fine Gael. I'm very open about it. As a result a lot of people probably take what I say with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ballooba

Read this http://devore.journals.ie/2006/03/17/univershill-music/

for some insight.

ballooba wrote:
    I was already banned. So that is not the issue.
    ballooba wrote:
    <snip>
    :rolleyes:
    ballooba wrote:
    It's a bit different now if they are getting paid.
    If they happen to belive in the idealogy of a party, what difference does it make if they work for the party or are a supporter from the back of beyonds. As long as they stick to the rules of the forum then their contributions should be as relevant and welcome as mine or yours or anyone elses.

:rolleyes:
    I'm not sure what that is about.

There are over 80,000 users on this site. If you can identity the person from the little info I have given there then you have too much time on your hands.
    If they happen to belive in the idealogy of a party, what difference does it make if they work for the party or are a supporter from the back of beyonds.
    The difference is that the result of the election determines whether they still have a job after Friday. Ideologies are cheap, public sector salaries are good.

ballooba wrote:
    I'm not sure what that is about.
    This is about you apparently thinking you can continue to do, albeit indirectly, what you were banned from the politics forum for. You know damn well that only an Admin will be able to remove that comment, and while you may not have named anyone directly you left just enough breadcrumbs for anyone who wanted to to be able to go back and find who you're talking about irrespective of whether the relevant posts were deleted or not (I admit I haven't checked).

Do you now think it might be relevant to explain why you think you can out a person, and do it when and where you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Asking people to declare their vested interests would only work for people who want to obey the rules.

Shills wouldn't bother, they're not here to participate. They're usually far too stupid to do it well anyway, and are spotted a mile off.

People/companies can't be named or "outed" by boards.ie or any of the moderators. Information about a user that is not publically available is protected by the Data Protection Act, and as such may not be released into the public domain except by the user themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ballooba wrote:
    public sector salaries are good.
    mine's not.

You know damn well that only an Admin will be able to remove that comment, and while you may not have named anyone directly you left just enough breadcrumbs for anyone who wanted to to be able to go back and find who you're talking about irrespective of whether the relevant posts were deleted or not (I admit I haven't checked).
    I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to. Regardless, that was not my intention. I was merely pointing out that the person's name wasn't hidden. Outing them and naming them can't really be treated as seperate issues.
    Do you now think it might be relevant to explain why you think you can out a person, and do it when and where you like?
    I have been banned. I don't think it's particularly relevant.
    seamus wrote:
    People/companies can't be named or "outed" by boards.ie or any of the moderators. Information about a user that is not publically available is protected by the Data Protection Act, and as such may not be released into the public domain except by the user themselves.
    I don't believe that would be the case. Surely that only applies to data controllers or people with access to data.
    RuggieBear wrote:
    mine's not.
    Correction, some public sector salaries are good. ;)

My apologies.

Imagine we had representatives from every interest group on here posting as uninterested.

INO, HSE, INTO, SIPTU, TGWU, ESB etc.

Incidentally, I have no doubt that senior trade union officials do post here.

Balooba,If you are outraged that a person posts a particular view point contrary to your own thats your own business.

As Gandalf said,the poster in question is entitled to carry their posts on their sleeve in the forum subject to the charter.

You appear to be using this feedback thread solely to do here what you attempted to do in politics.
    We deleted your attempt in politics as it was against the charter of the board and I banned you for a further 2 weeks just after you had been un banned for your previous charter infraction.

Interestingly also , the poster you are questioning has never been banned and hasnt came to the moderators attention for charter breaking before unlike yourself.
    I would suggest that in 2 weeks time when your new ban is up that you attack the post and not the poster and do so constructively.
    Thank you.

Tristrame wrote:
    Balooba,If you are outraged that a person posts a particular view point contrary to your own thats your own business.
    I object to a person being paid to hold/post a view. There are plenty of genuine grassroots supporters of all shades on that forum who do not get paid.
    Tristrame wrote:
    As Gandalf said,the poster in question is entitled to carry their posts on their sleeve in the forum subject to the charter.
    With all due respect to the postion of mods, the Charter is not written in stone.
    Tristrame wrote:
    You appear to be using this feedback thread solely to do here what you attempted to do in politics.
    If that appears to you to be my intention, then you are mistaken.
    Tristrame wrote:
    Interestingly also , the poster you are questioning has never been banned and hasnt came to the moderators attention for charter breaking before unlike yourself.
    That hardly makes it alright. That someone can shill away as long as they are discrete about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

@ ballooba Are you prepared to publish your real name and the company you work for?

ballooba wrote:
    I object to a person being paid to hold/post a view. There are plenty of genuine grassroots supporters of all shades on that forum who do not get paid.
    You're entitled to feel the way you like.You can always put him on ignore.
    Also I think your accusation there regarding him being paid to post is dangerous,coupled with your personalising this.
    With all due respect to the postion of mods, the Charter is not written in stone.
    I'm afraid it is,and pure granite blasted out of Galway and Wicklow rock.
    If that appears to you to be my intention, then you are mistaken.
    I'm not.
    That hardly makes it alright. That someone can shill away as long as they are discrete about it.
    All political discussion within the charter is welcome on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ballooba wrote:
    I believe that people should have to declare if they are posting in fora where they have vested interests.

This is a discussion boards where people are free to praise or criticise as they want. A posters personal background should not be relevant since you should be attacking the arguments/opinions and not the users. What does it matter if someone works for a minister? You're still free to post that their views are wrong.

Your suggestion has much wider implications then the politics forum. Do you believe if I post something on the broadband of IOFFL forums that I should declare my interests? My credentials? Should other posters be forced to declare if they work for Eircom or another ISP. Should posters on tech forums declare their name and companies they work for? What right do you have to any such information, what does it matter that people are biased by the job they hold, everyone is biased by something, only the mods have to display fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

RuggieBear wrote:

TBH, I disagree entirely here Ruggie. I think that when you start publishing opinion on the Internet, you have to accept that people are entitled to investigate that opinion, including who you are and what you do. As far as I am aware (and this is purely from a lay-person's point of view), there is no legal obstacle to you investigating the identity of someone who has published such information. I would say that its fair game, and that previous Boards incidents (e.g. Glenstal) show a distinct precendence in favour of that.

Feel free to correct / challenge me on that. :)

Advertisement