Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Visa But Still having to GNIB Register?

Options
  • 20-05-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

My GF arrived here 2 weeks ago on a holiday visa for 3 months. When going through imigration in Dublin Airport the garda told here he could only stamp her passport for one month and that she would have to report to the local garda station with me before June 4th. Is this normal procedure? I thought she would get her passport stamped for 3 months. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I'm not certain - I know that with third level students or workers the immigration officer stamps you for a month, and within that time you need to apply for a GNIB card.
    I'm not familiar with people only staying for the holiday limit, I would have presumed like you that since she won't need the GNIB card, she shouldn't have to report to a police station, and the three month stamp should have been sufficient. Maybe they have some sort of new regulation about that... either way it will hardly be a problem for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

im not sure why they do this.my gf comes over from the states fairly often.sometimes the give her 30 days sometimes 90 days and sometimes they just stamp it for 1 day after her return flight.

there doesnt seem to be a set time which is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Thanks for the replies. Am going to the local garda station with her today so hopefully there will be no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

mickger wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. Am going to the local garda station with her today so hopefully there will be no problems.

best of luck with it man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alcon

SoBe wrote:
    best of luck with it man
    There is not set time. Which is madness as someone said. Even with my wife - because of the bad implementation of a piece of EU legislation (if anyone is interested, I'll give the references, but at the moment I'm meant to be working, and don't have the time to look these things up...) even after we got married, she was still required to get a visa to come with me to Ireland whenever I wanted to visit the family.

In the airport - every single time - the guards demanded that we go through seperately - not as a couple, which is allowed. And then proceeded to demand what she is planning on doing in Ireland, and how long she planned on staying. Eventhough on the visa is said spouse of EU citizen, and I was standing behind her. Where is she from?... Romania. Even on flying in on New Years Eve - 1 day before the country joined, she still got the 3rd degree.

So. In short, it's just something you'll have to get used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just an update and question on this. The GF got the extension on her visa to allow her the full 3 months here. I'm wondering how hard it is to get another extension of 3 months if she decides to stay here longer? Are they very strict on handing out extensions like that??? What are your experiences?

Advertisement