Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study methods

Options
  • 20-05-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

How do you study? Do you just read or are you a chronic note taker?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

started taking notes around 5 days ago!!!

Kinda late i know! It works better if ya do and the stuff actually gets registered in your brain, then read over your notes you made the previous day every day. So far i have done Section 2 of Biology and some Geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Writing, writing and more writing. Read something and then see how much of it you remember by writing it down. Take note of where you went wrong and you probably won't make the same mistake twice. That goes for all subjects, not just the primarily theory-based ones (with the exception of maths). Reading alone isn't worth a shít if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Reading alone does nothing for me. There's far too much information to take in. I take a topic, say the Stone Age in Art History, read the first paragraph and then I write it out without looking at it. I do this with every paragraph and then when I get to the end I write the whole thing out without looking at it. Then I do a question later that day to reinforce the stuff.

Lot of work envolved but there will be with whatever method you use.

Some subjects I just understand. For French say, I don't memorize anything. I understand the grammer and I use it. Same goes for Agricultural Science, I understand the fundamental properties and then that can be applied to most questions.

As for Irish, I wait till the night before and read all the stories and thank God that they put the poems on the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reading alone does nothing for me. There's far too much information to take in. I take a topic, say the Stone Age in Art History, read the first paragraph and then I write it out without looking at it. I do this with every paragraph and then when I get to the end I write the whole thing out without looking at it. Then I do a question later that day to reinforce the stuff.

Some subjects I just understand. For French say, I don't memorize anything. I understand the grammer and I use it. Same goes for Agricultural Science, I understand the fundamental properties and then that can be applied to most questions.

As for Irish, I wait till the night before and read all the stories and thank God that they put the poems on the paper!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Do you have the Revise Wise book for Irish? I find it very helpful, there's lots of decent expressions to use when answering questions on poetry and prose.

• Advertisement

Do you have the Revise Wise book for Irish? I find it very helpful, there's lots of decent expressions to use when answering questions on poetry and prose.

I'm pretty much set for Irish. I live in the Gaeltacht and find it easy to talk about the poetry and all that. Only thing I'm stuck on is stair na Gaeilge but I'll learn that the night before with the stories. The trick is to have a few adjectives for each poem/story. Then you can work around them.

The essay, I find you can have one prepared on "fadhbanna an lae inniu" and then use that for almost everything. I throw foreigners and the leaving cert into every essay.:D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamHamilton

:eek:

Piss off. I'm tired and it was a slip of the wrist. Plus, it's perfectly fine. I meant: I understand the grammer (involved in the French language), not: I understand grammer.

Alexander the grammarian once taught a certain Marcus Aurelius not to leap on grammer mistakes, or captiously interrupt when anyone makes an error of vocabulary, syntax, or pronounciation. If that is good enough for Marcus, it's good enough for you!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Piss off. I'm tired and it was a slip of the wrist. Plus, it's perfectly fine. I meant: I understand the grammer (involved in the French language), not: I understand grammer.

Alexander the grammarian once taught a certain Marcus Aurelius not to leap on grammer mistakes, or captiously interrupt when anyone makes an error of vocabulary, syntax, or pronounciation. If that is good enough for Marcus, it's good enough for you!:mad:

Sorry, just had to point it out again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Using flashcards and answering exam questions atm.

Note-taking, finished that. Cramming it, and using it for teh flashcards.

Grammar.

I hang my head in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I do absolutely no writing whatsoever. Head in a book for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Depends on subject really. Mostly its practice through past papers. Only for French, history and English do I ever really read/take notes. Much prefer exam questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

God bless workbooks.

Those useless things (up until now) have been collecting dust in my room for the last 2 years. Now im using them to great effect, they get EVERYTHING back into your head. Any notes I have written, i havn't condensed so there quite detailed...too much to go through at this stage so its workbooks all around!! I never realised how good they were up until now! Got em in physics, business, geography and spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Read books....and do exam questions on relevant topics once I've read about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Just going over chapter, looking at where that section came up in the papers and doing them. Fitting the chapters onto one A4 page (writing pretty small)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Same as the JC pretty much - folder loads of notes, definition lists, formula lists, flash-cards, wall-posters, mnemonics, mock exams etc. Great way I find is to takes short breaks very often, i.e.like a 5 minute break every 20/30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

For history, i write out loads of running orders...
    I find it's the easiest subject to study for, but the hardest to do well in... Weird.

Advertisement