Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short story

Options
  • 20-05-2007 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

is there any good short stories avaliable.....

examples....

that could be adapted at least one essay title that comes up in the lc each year??

any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Yeah. Learning off short stories won't work. Thats the help I'll give you

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Possibly the hardest question that you can do on the english paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

sternn wrote:
    Possibly the hardest question that you can do on the english paper...
    Exactly. Unless you're great at writing don't do it. And I mean great. Learning anything off for it will if you're lucky get you half marks. Learnt off work is very easy to distinguish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mathman

thanks for the advice guys!!

just thought it would be good for a back up!!

i'm good at writing perswasive essays!!

just worried an awkward title would come up??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Copy anything and you'll get done for plagiarism if the examiner recognises the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

It's easier not to do the short story (does a short story HAVE to come up?). I'm just gonna do what is easiest on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

if you need to learn off stuff to pass english, then the short story is definitely not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I always do the short story.
    Those picture questions make it easy if you've got any sort of flair for composition. I nealy always use the same type of subjects too:Museum robbery, Gangster importing drugs and caviar, Mental patient etc.
    It's great to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

elefant wrote:
    I always do the short story.
    Those picture questions make it easy if you've got any sort of flair for composition. I nealy always use the same type of subjects too:Museum robbery, Gangster importing drugs and caviar, Mental patient etc.
    It's great to be sure

Ah violent english stories. My favourite.(except religion bashing ones, i love doing those)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Yeah. Learning off short stories won't work. Thats the help I'll give you

It will work, provided it's your own work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Ah violent english stories. My favourite.(except religion bashing ones, i love doing those)

aaarrr they be great.
    The youth today do be needin a bit of violence. Wahay!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I always write the exact same stories in my english papers (I tend alternate between 2).In the first one theres an accident and I see people all around me dying, and then whenever I try to help out I realise i'm dead, and then I just sort of go mad trying to deal with it and then I just float away and cease to exist.........Yup.I've been using that story for years.

My 2nd story is just more or less the story of Day Break, although in a twist I end up commiting suicide to escape the repeating day......but then the day repeats anyways.Hell I even write out the speech he says at the start of each episode, although of course I change the name (ie ''My name is Detective Noel Mc Glynn, and this is the day that changes everything'').Didn't go too well for me in the mocks, but they were marked terribly anyways.I mean out of 100 marks for the Macbeth question I only got 18.......only 18 ****ing marks.Thats not even near a pass!!Now i'd be the first to admit that I'm not a great english student, but I'm at the VERY LEAST a D1 student!I can't even think of how insufficient an answer would need to be in order to get only 18 marks, but I sure as hell know my answer was worth AT LEAST a pass.AT LEAST DAMMIT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I mean out of 100 marks for the Macbeth question I only got 18.......only 18 ****ing marks.Thats not even near a pass!!

Once again... The Macbeth Q is worth 60 marks, not 100. In order to pass next time, get an idea of the layout of the paper so you can time yourself properly... 60, NOT 100, okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

md99 wrote:
    Once again... The Macbeth Q is worth 60 marks, not 100. In order to pass next time, get an idea of the layout of the paper so you can time yourself properly... 60, NOT 100, okay?
    Huh.I just checked and it seems you're right and that the question is only worth 60.......well why the **** does it say its marked out of 100 on my mock?!Further proof that whoever marked it is incompetent.Still though thats still not even a pass for that question, so something is still wrong.Damn crappy markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I have to agree with the earlier posters, that you should only do the narrative styled questions if you are very, very good at that type of question.
    Those stories about gangsters, robberies, murders, tunnels, violence etc. is ordinary standard, and definitely stay away from them if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

The stories that pick up top marks are usually about the most ordinary things. It says a lot about your ability if you can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary, and examiners will recognise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I always do the short stories too as I'm probably strongest at them than any other of the options. I'm pretty good at thinking up of a good solid plot on the spot and always have a lethal twist at the end. Got 80% in my mocks for the short story, and that was with a bitch of a head cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I generally do the short stories, though a good personal essay about something or other would be good too. For my mocks, I did a short story. It was one I'd done before, so I was lucky, though in fact I thought it was substandard. It was about this underdog country who came out of nowhere to get to the final of the World Cup... Though the picture I based it on was of Wayne Rooney...hmmmm... Anywho, it was all going swimmingly, and then he got sent off.
    The end.

Advertisement