Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversation at door with Fianna Fail Candidate

Options
  • 20-05-2007 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭

I just had a interesting conversation with a Fianna Fail candidate who was canvassing in the area.

There was a knock at the door and I was greeted by a representitive of one of the local FF candidates. It started normal enough, am I voting, what do i do. At which point the representitive said she was a nurse. My aunt who was over came to the door when she said this (as she is a nurse). And the topic of the current offer to the nurses came up, basicly asking the rep how she felt about this.

At this point, the FF Candidate walked up,

The rep introduced us, saying "his is X and Y, and she's a nurse"
    FF:"Well we won't hold that against you"

There was a bit of discussion on the nurses topic, he was saying things like we've met you halfway and if nurses get it they'll all want it etc

Then this came up,
    FF:I'm a businessman, my employees often want less hours too. And I do my best to accomadate them.

Me: (Possibly unknown to FF, but I was aware what his business was) But its slightly different. You own a pub/nightclub and a supermarket, both operate during set hours, night-time and daytime respectively. And most workers are younger people who work for minimum wage. And on a pro-rata basis. Hours worked is irrelevant. Nurses are working for a salery, and are providing care for people 24hours a day

FF: Well business is changing, supermarkets are 24 hours now aren't they?

Me:You own <supermarket> don't you, is that 24 hours.

At this point he start talking over me. So i stopped him and repeated the question, and he start talking over me again.

Me:Sorry, its a yes or no question. Is it open 24 hours.

FF:No, its not. Are you just trying to be cheeky.

Me: No, Im just trying to point out that there is a huge difference between nursing and working in a shop. Most people in a shop aren't on a salery for set hours. It minimum wage on a pro-rata basis, it doesn't apply.

FF: But there is all sort of bonus, like most supermarkets pay time and a third or time and a half on a saturday and sunday.

Me:No they don't.

FF:Yes they do! I own one.

Me:Ok, if you can name me one supermarket in the country that gives extra pay on a saturday i'll promise you my vote right here?

FF:em....em...I can't

Me:Obviously you were aware of that beforehand. Your the manager of a shop.

FF:No, Im the owner

Me: You still should of known.

FF:I made a mistake and I corrected myself

Me:Sorry, I corrected you. And it was more than a mistake, it was deliberate.

FF:NO...No...No. I don't tell lies.
    At this stage he was shouting at the door

Me:Yes you did, and your doing it again.

FF:THATS IT, WOULD YOU EVER GET LOST!!
    And he stormed off

To be honest, I was shocked at the way he presented himself and the party. I left his name and area out of the post as I'm not posting this to badmouth anyone.
    I couldn't believe the way he told blatant lies to try prove a point. I know for a fact that he was aware what he was saying wasn't true. And only because I knew what business he was involved in, and because I worked in a supermarket during secondary school.
    It might not come accross right in the post, but I wasn't being cheeky or trying to catch him out. I was polite and only replied to things he said.

Is this thing common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Screw that. Name and shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can't see why you won't name and shame.
    After all, there are many other threads here slamming candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fair enough, I was unsure how it fitted in with forum charter.

Luke Moriarty, Fianna Fail, Dublin Mid-West
    There is another FF candidate in the area, John Curran and he is involved with one half, and Morarty with the other (my area).

He owns the supervalue in palmerstown, and the courtyard in leixip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Ya know I could'a guessed from the first post who you were going to name. Wouldn't be too worried it doesn't look like he has a snowballs chance in hell in getting elected.
    And no I'm not posting this cos I'm anti FF, even though I am;) . I think the other FF candidate John Curran is a very decent bloke and he will be given a preference on my ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That's my missus' constituency, I spend a lot of time here. Shocking tactics to use alright. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

The cheek of ya! Expecting a high-flyer hero like him to have to justify to you, one of the great unwashed, why you should vote for him. You should be honoured he graced your doorstep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

My favourite so far has to have been <FF candidate> going to my mates and getting ripped to shreds by his ma.
    It started civil enough, but degenerated to basically this

Mother: NO, THIS IS A FINE GAEL HOUSE AND IT ALWAYS WILL BE!
    FF: well, you're entitled to that but...
    M: NO, YOU SICKEN ME ****, YOUR WHOLE PARTY SICKENS ME
    FF: yes, but....
    M: GET AWAY FROM MY HOUSE
    (door slams)

And people say politics is tame....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

I'd love to work 35 hours for 50k (on average per year) - and I have far more qualifications than most nurses

Unfortunately I live in the real world where a company would go bankrupt if it gave 10% for 5 hours less per week.

But nursing is a vocation so that means you can blackmail the country before an election

Doran is an arrogant self publicist who will do to the nurses what the ASTI did for the teachers- lose the respect built up over 100 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well done op, if a candidate can't acknowledge simple facts about commonly known labour laws then what use will they be on any bigger issue? All these threads are making me nervous that someone will have one about my Da, but apparently he's been getting good receptions at the doorstep.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Polite notice: this thread isn't about the nurses' dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Mellor wrote:
    Fair enough, I was unsure how it fitted in with forum charter.

Luke Moriarty, Fianna Fail, Dublin Mid-West
    There is another FF candidate in the area, John Curran and he is involved with one half, and Morarty with the other (my area).

He owns the supervalue in palmerstown, and the courtyard in leixip

He has quite a campaign going as well. He had a van with a big poster plastered onto it outside of Superquinn in Lucan. Thanks for enlightening me on his campaigning, most interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Izzyone

My sister lives in Lucan, she had a visit from Mr Moriarty. She asked what his feelings were on the ongoing struggle with poverty in Ireland, to which he replied that he didn't think that we have a problem anymore with poverty....little did he know that she works with the homeless in dublin and tries to rehouse as many homeless people as is possible on the budget that is provided. She asked him would he like to go out on the bus that she does 24 hour shifts on feeding the homeless around Dublin, He said to her that she was probably the wrong person to talk about poverty to.... She then continued to ask him why all Fianna Fail candidates are businessmen, to which he replied.....WAIT FOR IT. OH F*CK i CAN NOT ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS!
    Thank you Mr Moriarty, I think you have answered them already she said. YOu will not be getting my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Well done op, if a candidate can't acknowledge simple facts about commonly known labour laws then what use will they be on any bigger issue? All these threads are making me nervous that someone will have one about my Da, but apparently he's been getting good receptions at the doorstep.
    Who's yer Daddy??? -:D Sorry - couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah I live in Lucan and wouldn't vote for the FF candidates here as Curren never shows his face unless there is an election coming up or Bertie's in the area. But I'm wondering is it worthwhile voting for the FG' rep in the area as they've really had no representation in the area for the last couple of years. Maybe I'd be better off voting for Joanne Tuffy and the Greens Paul Gogarthy mmmm decisions decisions

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Maybe I'd be better off voting for Joanne Tuffy and the Greens Paul Gogarthy mmmm decisions decisions

Snake ;)

Snake,

I don't know anyone in that constituency, but you do know you can vote for more than one candidate? :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

I just deleted one reported post.
    Folks do not be posting unsubstantiated allegations.
    Thank you for your co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Mellor wrote:
    and the courtyard in leixip
    Issues regarding breaches of the licence for his premises (i.e. The Courtyard) have been in court quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I live in a town with two Moriarty businesses both of which are really well run from a customers point of view, and great assets to the town. I'm not quite sure why some people seem to imply that being a businessman is a bad thing. I have never worked for him, and don't know what he is like as an employer, but he is well thought of from the point of view of community support/sponsorship.

I don't know Luke personally and while I am a Fianna Fáil supporter (for this election) I am not defending him for that reason. His behaviour on the doorstep does seem a bit unprofessional, and not what I would have expected but as I say I don't know him personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is it just me or do Moriarty's posters make him look like that guy out of Fr Ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Most candidates know when they're not getting a vote so will stop taking the sh1te being shoveled at them....very few will go to those lengths though. Very unprofessional.

We had to correct a constituent on the doorsteps the other night and he eventually backed down(as he WAS wrong)...it was worth it because the vote was gone before we started. Now Moriarty seems to have taken it to the extremes and he should have at least had the courtesy to listen and not shout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

athtrasna wrote:
    Is it just me or do Moriarty's posters make him look like that guy out of Fr Ted?
    "I made the BBC" :D

Incidentally, I had someone knock at the door last Friday for a local FF candidate. it was the first time a canvassser for one of the two Govt parties had called since the calling of the election IIRC. Anyhow, I proceeded to attack him on everything I could think of.
    Wwhen I raised e-voting as an example of (what I believe is) the government's arrogance, he responded by saying that "in all fairness it was a good system". When I rebutted by saying how there was no proper auditing featuree with the systems by means of a paper trail his response was "why would you need one?".
    He then went on to tell me that had a paper trail been incorporated then proper PR and vote transferring would not have been possible.
    Is this really the standard of canvasser FF are sending out?
    In the end I just told him and his buddy who had just arrived (as if they didn't know it) that I would not vote FF this time & how that with due credit the government had created a succesful economy. However, they have failed to create a succesful society.
    It made my evening I must say!

kbannon wrote:
    Is this really the standard of canvasser FF are sending out?

Do you really think the one canvasser who ended up at your door represents all FF canvassers across the country?

Or do you really think that all the stupid canvassers end up in FF, whereas the other parties have the smart guys? I have spoken before about political snobbery, but that's a new one.

You should have seen the drooling fool Labour sent to my friend's door. Although they didn't mind his evident insanity, it was the smell of last night's boozeup whenever he spoke that really did it for them.

Or the FG candidate and his brother, straight outta Dumb and Dumber.

I didn't feel the need to make gross overgeneralisations based on those two though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Do you really think the one canvasser who ended up at your door represents all FF canvassers across the country?

Or do you really think that all the stupid canvassers end up in FF, whereas the other parties have the smart guys? I have spoken before about political snobbery, but that's a new one.

You should have seen the drooling fool Labour sent to my friend's door. Although they didn't mind his evident insanity, it was the smell of last night's boozeup whenever he spoke that really did it for them.

Or the FG candidate and his brother, straight outta Dumb and Dumber.

I didn't feel the need to make gross overgeneralisations based on those two though.

Had one at my door last week, Haughey. Not very impressive either. To;d him this was no longer a FF house and he replied "sorry"! He then scarpered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

only had Ruiri Quinn to the door. He was most civil and answered the few questions i asked well. (admittedly all that was going through my head was the theme tune of Flash)

I'm getting sick of all the fianna fail pamphlets been put through my door tho. There does appear to be three times as much bumph from them as the other parties. (more money?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I had one of these FF candidates on my door last week (Limerick West). After tearing his parties policies to shreds for 20 minutes I informed him that no Fianna Fail candidate would be getting my vote and went to close the door. Being the arrogant prick that he was, he stopped me closing it by putting his foot in the way and began chatting about all the good things FF have done for the country in the last 10 years!! (Seems he was a comedian as well as a politician)

I informed him, very politely, that if he didn't remove his foot from my door and **** off, that he'd be doing the rest of his hopeless canvassing on a set of crutches.

The cheek of these little ****ers really enrages me.

Not at all! The canvassers are sent out represent FF - not other canvassers. If they cannot get simple facts straight then they should not be allowed out.
    The previous FF canvassers (who appeared prior to the election being called firstly decided to be smartarses when asked a sensible question and then proceeded to deliberately lie about the whereabouts of the person they were promoting (if they are going to lie then they should get their stories straight between themselves!).
    This has not happened with canvassers for other parties (excluding the PDs who seem to feel that they need not call to our estate).

DarkJager wrote:
    I informed him, very politely, that if he didn't remove his foot from my door and **** off, that he'd be doing the rest of his hopeless canvassing on a set of crutches.

The cheek of these little ****ers really enrages me.

Nothing like constructive criticism.

Whenever we meet the hysterical voter, I find the best thing to do is laugh and walk away. The candidate did the wrong thing by geting drawn into a discussion at all, a waste of everyone's time.

Nothing like constructive criticism.

Whenever we meet the hysterical voter, I find the best thing to do is laugh and walk away. The candidate did the wrong thing by geting drawn into a discussion at all, a waste of everyone's time.
    Im kind of surprised at that response which Im putting down to FF loyalties.
    What the canvasser did was downright wrong adn possibly illegal and all you can suggest is that the canvasser shouldn't have wasted time at the house in the first place?
    Had it been a FG canvasser doing this would your reply have been as casual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭johnlambe

RuggieBear wrote:
    I'm getting sick of all the fianna fail pamphlets been put through my door tho. There does appear to be three times as much bumph from them as the other parties. (more money?)
    And we have to take their word for it that they aren't influenced by all the corporate donations that pay for the campaign.

Advertisement