Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversation at door with Fianna Fail Candidate

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

comer_97 wrote:
    I don't care how they divide things up between themselves, John Curran is the sitting TD in my area and he represents the whole constituency.

This stinks of desperation on Moriarty's part. From what I've read here, he sounds like a right tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

In general, one's a bit of a fool who thinks it's worthwhile to assault a politician or canvasser because they've no manners. And putting a foot in someone's door like that is atrocious manners. Not a major breach of privacy.

I'm sorry, anyone putting their foot like that in my door will be reacted to as if they're trying to force their way into my house.

end of.

After that its up to them to remove it.

Its atrocious behaviour from a canvasser or a candidate, and I'd have no respect for anyone who'd even consider voting for a candidate after them or one of their lot behaved like that.

Doesnt matter if it wasnt the candidate doing that themselves - you watch who you get in to canvas, and if you dont you have no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ibid wrote:
    Issues regarding breaches of the licence for his premises (i.e. The Courtyard) have been in court quite recently.
    As much as I hate the f**kers, I'd like to clear this bit up. A... number of people... who own "like" businesses to his, and whos' business suffered due to the Coutyard popular smoking area... so just before a particular bank holiday, two complaints were heard, one from either end of the village. One was on the noise level, the other was on a reported sighting of people buying drink in the "open" part of the Courtyard (as opposed to buying the pints inside the pub). Whilst it was being brought before the courts, no-one was allowed to bring their alcoholic beverage outside the pub, into the "open" area. As the Courtyard had CCTV, this was proven to be a false claim. Also, the ban was lifted less than 3 weeks before the above mentioned bank holiday.

=-=

That said, I dislike any politicain owning pubs, etc, as they woldn't want to bring in any laws that may harm their own back pocket.

=-=

Oh, and Fine Gael should know better than to canvas at dinner time (between 5:30pm and 7pm), as people won't want to talk, and make himself look like a total amateur. Didn't catch his name, but it was an old dude, about 60, and it happened in the Leixlip area.

You should have seen the drooling fool Labour sent to my friend's door. Although they didn't mind his evident insanity, it was the smell of last night's boozeup whenever he spoke that really did it for them.

Apparently.This happened with Jim McDaid too.He still got his seat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In general, one's a bit of a fool who thinks it's worthwhile to assault a politician or canvasser because they've no manners.
    If he gives me just cause to break his foot, he won't be able to stick it in the door of the house which is owned by the old woman a few doors down.

And by "just cause", I mean if he did put his foot in the door, and refuse to ID himself, he's no longer a canvasser, but someone trying to gain entry to my house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the_syco wrote:
    Didn't catch his name, but it was an old dude, about 60, and it happened in the Leixlip area.
    At least you had FG call. Im in Leixlip and no FG candidate or canvassers called to us. As for the PDs - are they even trying to get votes from Leixlip residents? They are running a very low key campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just cause to break someone's foot?? When is there ever a just cause to break someone's foot, barring a physical reaction if there is a reasonable threat to someone's life?

And on a related point, a thing called "common sense" comes into play. While putting a foot in the door is a way of keeping it open and by extension, letting someone into the house, would a canvasser or candidate, in the middle of a campaign have any interest in someone's hall decorations?? The breach of privacy doesn't occur if the man doesn't even get inside the house.

Someone trying to break entry into a house could be regarded as a deadly threat, depending on a lot of factors. If someone felt genuinely threatened and lashed out in defence, the potential threat would only concievably end up with a broken foot by accident. I cannot see how breaking someone's foot is an act of self-defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

There are an awful lot of divisions in FF over that man being selected to run. He is a big business man and a lifelong supporter of FF. A lot of FF members were unhappy he was the party's number one choice in parts of the constituency particularly in Curran's camp.

The two running mates do not have the greatest working relationship either.

Advertisement