Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI USB Card with 2 header ports

Options
  • 20-05-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a PCI 4 port USB Card with 2 header ports so I can connect a four port I/O USB backplate with two connectors to it.

I don't see any such animal on Komplett & am not even sure if such an item is available. (I know Maplin do one with one header port but I need 2)

Does anyone know where I might get one?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Are you out of PCI slots for an extra USB controller hence the request ?

PC Look sell PCI-Express x1 USB2 controllers which if you have any of those slots free would be an viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Woah, €75 for a USB controller? Shocking! Are PCI-E cards ever gonna be cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

8T8 wrote:
    Are you out of PCI slots for an extra USB controller hence the request ?

PC Look sell PCI-Express x1 USB2 controllers which if you have any of those slots free would be an viable alternative.

Thanks for that 8T8 but I won't have a spare PCI-E X1 slot, there's only one & it will be used by [URL="[URL=http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=a97gu&source=15&SD=Y]This[/URL]"] [/url]This from Maplin for €32. Anyway, I am looking to be able to connect a 4 port backplate to it which has two 10 pin connectors (1 pin blanked). As Zilog said, that PCI-E X1 card is very pricey at @ €75 too! but a nice idea though.

Do you know if there is a PCI card available with 4 ports & 2 headder ports (Internal ports)?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Nope none that I can think off why not use an external powered USB hub ?

The reason the PCI-e card is so pricey as it is not a native PCI-e device you can see a bridge chip on the card given time native PCI-e cards will come down in price.

8T8 wrote:
    Nope none that I can think off why not use an external powered USB hub ?

The reason the PCI-e card is so pricey as it is not a native PCI-e device you can see a bridge chip on the card given time native PCI-e cards will come down in price.

I have found in the past that even with an externally powered USB Hub that many devices don't like them at all. I have a Vtech cordless Skype phone & a Xerox USB scanner & neither of them function consistently well when connected to a Hub, both work perfectly when connected to the USB ports on the main board. Aside from that it's just tidier to have them on-board.

I've just been to PCWorld & they have the Belkin http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Belkin-Hi-Speed-USB-2.0-5-Port-PCI-Express-Card-USB-adapter-PCI-Express-x1-USB,-Hi-Speed-USB-5-ports__6909_en.html
    for €39.99 just in case anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I've never seen a PCI USB2 card with more than one internal port.

Why not go with one like THIS for €19 that has four external and one internal? That would give you a total of 6 USB ports using your bracket..plus whatever USB ports you have already.

I mean...how many do you need!

Oh yeah I've encountered that before some USB devices are super picky about hubs particularly Belkin ones.

I've had some success with D-Link USB hubs it might be worth picking one up it's a fully powered hub as well.

hopeful wrote:
    I've never seen a PCI USB2 card with more than one internal port.

Why not go with one like THIS for €19 that has four external and one internal? That would give you a total of 6 USB ports using your bracket..plus whatever USB ports you have already.

I mean...how many do you need!

I need 14 on board!

One internal port won't get me there & that particular card has the standard 'A' Type internal USB connector & not the header type (Same as you get on the actual Mainboard). What I'm looking for has to have header type internal connectors.

There are cards readily available which have 2 internal ports but they are the 'A' Type like the one you suggested.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300112005835&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

You can also get the ones with 4 external USB + 2 external Firewire + 1 internal USB + 1 internal Firewire. 8 port in total.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330121565018&rd=1&rd=1

This is another animal, although I'm not sure what the advantage of it is!
    You still have to use up another PCI slot to use the I/O bracket.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220113721531&rd=1&rd=1

I have a spare PCI slot but I don't want to use it up unless I have to.

My hope is to end up with this:
    4 onboard USB ports rear
    2 USB ports front (Part of case)
    4 port USB PCI card
    4 port I/O backplate bracket with header connections. (2 X 10 pin connectors, one blanked)

That will give me the 14 ports.

Actually, I'm just looking at the Spec for the board I'm getting again & I think it might be able to accommodate that as it is???? Anybody familiar with the board? I think it has a header for the case's front USB bracket & two spare onboard?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329286

-

Looking at MSI's info the board had two 10 pin internal USB connectors...to give four additional ports.

hopeful wrote:
    Looking at MSI's info the board had two 10 pin internal USB connectors...to give four additional ports.

Yep! hopeful that's what I just spotted too.

Those two 10 pin ports are in addition to the one for the case's front USB bracket? Am I correct in that? because if that is the case I'm all set :)

• Advertisement

I think the total USB connectors is two 10 pin connectors on ther board :(

hopeful wrote:
    I think the total USB connectors is two 10 pin connectors on ther board :(

:eek: How right you are hopeful.

So it's back to the drawing board for me then! :D

It's a bitch when you think you found the board that has all you need & then..........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mckevittmartin

I am looking for the same thing. The closest i have come is this rande http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=pci+usb+header&x=15&y=37
    if you have any luck let us know.

Advertisement