Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths 1996 P1 Q7 c (ii)

Options
  • 20-05-2007 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Could someone give me a hand with this question? it just face-raped me, i was able to get x in terms of r and theta and all that but the differentiation is killing me... do i actually have to chain rule an inverse sine? i doubt it. It's the one about an astronaut..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You don't need to diff the inverse sine.

Find dx/d(theta) instead, which is -rcos(theta)/sin^2(theta).

That means that d(theta)/dx is 1 over that, which is -sin^2(theta)/rcos(theta).

d(theta)/dt = [d(theta)/dx] * [dx/dt], which gives -sin^2(theta)/[5cos(theta)]

When x=r, then sin(theta) = 1/2 and theta = 30 and cos(theta) = sqrt(3)/2, so d(theta)/dt evaluates to -1/10sqrt(3) km/hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Papers beyond '00 are from the old syllabus though aren't they? You(that is to say we) don't need to know them so much do you? Especially since they are absolute wankas of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Papers beyond '00 are from the old syllabus though aren't they? You(that is to say we) don't need to know them so much do you? Especially since they are absolute wankas of questions

Nope!

As mentioned on another thread, 94 is the first year of the present syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'm keeping away from those old questions, they're way harder than the ones in the last 6 years, and there's no solutions.

Advertisement