Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD Tripped - Advice.....?

Options
  • 20-05-2007 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Today, while sitting watching TV, the power suddenly went. So I got up, went out the garage where the trip switches are. The light turned on in the garage so I knew it wasn't a power outtage. I went up to the panel and noticied the blue RCD switch was down - all the others were in the 'up' position. Naturally, I flicked the switch back up and power was restored to the relevant circuits.

The timing of this seems to have coincided with when Mrs. crosstownk turned on the steriliser. I let the steriliser complete it's cycle and turned it on again in case it was what had caused the RCD switch to trip - but everything was OK.

Anyone got any advice on this one? Do these switches trip occasionally? Should I be concerned, surely it won't trip for 'no' reason.

BTW, the house was rewired to RECI spec less than 2 years ago. The electrician who rewired told me at the time that the circuits were now 'radial' rather than 'loop' - if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi crosstownk,

I would not worry about it, it sounds like it is doing its job, the steriliser most likely had a little water in it or steam. there are many items that can in their normal operation can trip an RCD every now and then, if it keeps happening you might want to look into it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheers Stoner - I won't worry about it for the moment so.

Advertisement