Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major swing in election for Fianna Fail - Rainbow down 4%

Options
  • 20-05-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

FF 41 %

FG 27 %
    LAB 10 %
    SF 9 %
    Greens 6 %
    PD 2 %

Thats a major swing for FF in the latest poll.

Latest Irish times poll indicates next Government will not be FG/LAB/GREEN:)

P.S Got this from Politics.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 amc759

where did you get these results:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

FF up 5 since last week :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

compared to the poll in todays indo, thats actually an increase of 1% for the rainbow. 42% for rainbow in the indo and 43% above.

Also those figures above leave only 5% for independents, 4% less than most of the other polls!!

I find in hard to believe that FF has taken 4% from the independents especially since most of the independents are sure things in their races..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

if FG / Lab / Greens (43%) pulled together they would be equal to that of FF / PD's (43%) so ultimately Sinn Féin could determine the next government if the results did turn out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

FF's 41% will probably equate to 48% of dail seats. (like last time)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I have read the poll results. Does anyone seriously believe that Labour could have dropped 3% after Pat Rabbitte's performance on Wednesday? Everyone said that he was the best by a mile of the 4 leaders that were there. As for a 'Rainbow meltdown' FG are down 1%, the Greens are up 1%.

Can anyone explain how in the three polls that have been made available in the past 24 hrs
    -how Sinn Féin are up 3 one poll yet down 1 in another
    -how FF are up 2,1 or 5 dependiong on which poll you choose to believe
    -how FG are on 25 or 27% again depending on what you choose to believe
    -how Labour could possibly have lost 3% after the leaders debate, which they have according to the TNS/MRBI poll
    -how the Greens have either lost 1, stayed static or gained 2?

I'm not saying by any measure of means that this or indeed any of the 3 polls over the weekend are good for FG and I'd be lying if I said that I was in any way happy having read them, but the thing is that our vote is holding steady and that while Fianna Fail are gaining, they are not gaining at Fine Gael's expense(too much). As one person said on politics.ie 'the problem with Fine Gael is that they take opinion polls too seriously'. Personally, I feel that the debate of Bertie vs Enda should not have taken place so early, however it could be that it was a spur of the moment thing in that FF are just getting a bounce after thursday night, and that the bounce will have evaporated by next Thursday, and obviously I hope that was what will have happened by Thursay. I no more belive that Labour are down 3 than I believed last weekend that Sinn Féin were down 2 after the historic events in Northern Ireland last week. I also no more believe that FF are up 5 no more than I believed it when TNS/MRBI had Fine Gael on 31% only a few weeks ago. Clearly everyone in FG has to do their level best over the next 4 days, but as the old saying goes 'the only poll that matters is the poll on Election Day'.

These poll results do underline the critical need for the alternative to have a rock solid transfer pact though. I hope Enda and Pat will start mentioning it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Or FF/Lab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Dampsquid wrote:
    FF's 41% will probably equate to 48% of dail seats. (like last time)
    Perhaps, but what will the PD's 2% bring in - certainly not 8 to 10 seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

fantastic news if it's accurate but i doubt it is. no way independants have lost that much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

E92 wrote:
    I have read the poll results. Does anyone seriously believe that Labour could have dropped 3% after Pat Rabbitte's performance on Wednesday. Everyone said that he was the best by a mile of the 4 leaders that were there.

I have slight suspicions regarding the Irish Times poll, since they changed their methodology prior to the start of the election. I'd like to see what the pollsters actually say this time round before passing further comment.

WRT Pat Rabbitte, maybe the "menopausal Paris Hilton" remark didn't go down too well with Mná na hÉireann. His personal approval has gone down too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

ArthurDent wrote:
    Perhaps, but what will the PD's 2% bring in - certainly not 8 to 10 seats

We'll get 3 if we're lucky, 4 if we're very lucky.

Harney will hold albeit not as comfortably as in 2002, McDowell should just about hold but it's shakey, Grealish still has a chance of clinging on, and Liz O'Donnell has an outside chance only as does Tim O'Malley.

The other three are probably gone and I doubt any pickups will be made unless
    O'Gorman or Frank McNamara can spring a huge surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

DMC wrote:
    WRT Pat Rabbitte, maybe the "menopausal Paris Hilton" remark didn't go down too well with Mná na hÉireann. His personal approval has gone down too.

You could well be on to sometihng there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

copacetic wrote:
    I find in hard to believe that FF has taken 4% from the independents especially since most of the independents are sure things in their races..
    Well this is the problem with the opinon polling, we just get overall percentages for the entire country which is not very helpful and only tangentially related to how the individual constituencies come in on the day. Secondary preferences, which are sort of important in our electoral system, are completely ignored.

It's particularly marked for the smaller parties of course, 2% nationwide for the spawn-of-hell party is meaningless as their support base is very concentrated. The key is whether X Y and Z can scrape their seats in constituencies A B and C.

EDIT: So it's perfectly possible that independent support drops overall while the safe independent seats remain unaffected. All that requires is that independent support drops in the areas where there aren't safe independent seats.

Transfer pacts are beloved of the parties but sometimes I think the apparatchiks behind them are oblivious to the fact that the electorate can actually transfer whichever way we like - and generally do. I would strongly suspect there will be a lot of Labour-Green transfers (both ways) before going to FG, despite the pact, and indeed a lot of FF transfers going elsewhere than the PDs (SF and then Labour/Green to a lesser extent - even FG likely to do better.) The Greens in particular are potentially a strong second preference across many different first preferences.

This poll is going against the trend of all the others so far.
    I'm going to wait until the next poll before panicing too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

I guess this just highlights the need for all of us who don't think the present gov't is doing the business, that we need to get out there and vote their ar*es out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

ronoc wrote:
    This poll is going against the trend of all the others so far.
    I'm going to wait until the next poll before panicing too much :)

Isn't this the last one before the big day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

SeanW wrote:
    I guess this just highlights the need for all of us who don't think the present gov't is doing the business, that we need to get out there and vote their ar*es out the door!

And who better to give the kick up the arse than Madam Editor.

E92 wrote:
    Can anyone explain how in the three polls that have been made available in the past 24 hrs
    -how Sinn Féin are up 3 one poll yet down 1 in another
    -how FF are up 2,1 or 5 dependiong on which poll you choose to believe
    -how FG are on 25 or 27% again depending on what you choose to believe
    -how Labour could possibly have lost 3% after the leaders debate, which they have according to the TNS/MRBI poll
    -how the Greens have either lost 1, stayed static or gained 2?

I suppose the margin of error of 3% in most of the polls explains a lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Perhaps Trevor lost ground for the Greens by coming across as unprofessional and weak in the televised debate.

With the prospect of a change of Taoiseach and government being muted in the media, perhaps the public are reconsidering change and sticking with the status quo. Many people probably only heard Kenny for the first time for a long period on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Considering the steady ebb and flow of positions, 5% is hard to believe unless the don't knows has dropped remarkably. Nothing spectacular happened this week that would suggest any reason for it. At best Bertie shaded the debate.
    Having seen him rally the troops today they don't believe it either and are not taking any chances.

At worst we are looking at a minority government, and I would expect Labour ,with Pat Rabbitte, will stay out of a FF government. But would they go in without him? If they do and it all goes pear-shaped9 which it invariably will) they'll suffer the consequences. I don't think they are prepared to take that risk.

At best a slim majority for the alternative. Either way it will be very very tight.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote:
    Considering the steady ebb and flow of positions, 5% is hard to believe unless the don't knows has dropped remarkably. Nothing spectacular happened this week that would suggest any reason for it. At best Bertie shaded the debate.

Bertie's speech at Westminster and the leaders debate on Thursday may not have been spectacular but they were high profile events that attained huge media coverage. Moreover, in a poll in the Sunday Independent today, 75% of the participants said Bertie won the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

I don't think this can be put down to the margin of error- that makes three polls that have FF up and FG/Lab down.
    Perhaps it's an initial reaction to the debate as the poll was taken on the Friday. There is still time for FG/Lab to make up ground- the momentum was with them until yesterday, it can't just evaporate so quickly.

It also highlights the need to KEEP TIGHT TRANSFERS!!!!!!!!

ateam wrote:
    Bertie's speech at Westminster and the leaders debate on Thursday may not have been spectacular but they were high profile events that attained huge media coverage.

True, but not enough to justify a 5% change in a week, even if you FF boys think so. :D Still all to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I think this is evidence that despite efforts by the media to obfuscate the fact that Ahern caned Enda in the debate, the public in general were able to judge for themselves and quite a few have moved from the undecided camp accordingly.

is_that_so wrote:
    True, but not enough to justify a 5% change in a week, even if you FF boys think so. :D Still all to play for.

The support was always there for Fianna Fail. They won 42% of the vote in 2002. Better work on the ground and the muted prospect of a Rainbow coalition has culminated in a swing of support to Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

just thinking that ff have run a clever campaign if this poll is anything to go by. for the first weeks of the election i was bombarded with fg/lab/gr leaflets and campaigners and heard nothing from ff -dublin west btw- but in the past 4/5 days thats all ive been confronted with, leaflets campaigners at my door.etc. lenihan seems to have waited until enda was shown up in the debate until he launched his campaign.

That was courtesy of a FG meltdown. FF will lose seats this time around. It's just a question of how many. The poll highlights the closeness of the election. I'd question a sudden 5% swing ,whatever way it went. The trends of this election don't support it in my view.

EDIT: A similar poll done by the Irish Times at the same time in the last election overstated FF support by 4%.
    - The Week In Politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

People are thinking more about the economy in the days running up to the election. FG/Lab peaked too early and I can't see them getting in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

There's no way FF are on 41% tbh. The dissent against them relative to last time is huge. I'll put my hat on them not being 35-38% on D-Day.

• Advertisement

Anyone else think that this poll could have come at a bad time for FF? Their only hope imo was a massive turnout on their core vote based on poor showing in the polls. The 'we have to vote as they really need us' brigade. This poll takes that edge off that impetus and I wouldn't be surprised if it means that they end up with less first prefs than they would have gotten without this poll in the field..

Advertisement