Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.A.N.'s (Metropolitan Area Network)? For all you ISP/Broadband gurus

Options
  • 20-05-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Ok, so the government have rolled out all these new M.A.N.'s in the bigger towns and cities in the country.

I am in the process of setting up a small/medium enterprise which will consume quite alot of bandwidth AND have quite a few end users.

In essence, i'm looking for a 100MB/s download and 75MB/s upload connection at the very least.

I have heard that a one year connection directly to the fibre optic M.A.N. costs in the region of €10,000 per annum. Can anybody confirm if this indeed is the case?

Also, if I got set-up with one of those... how exactly do I get my connectivity?

Does the M.A.N. operator have their own servers, or do I have to provide my own DNS CACHE server?(I don't know if that terminology makes sense)

In summary, I want to know how I can get connectivity thru a M.A.N. without having to buy a 2MB package from an ISP!! :-)

Appologies for posting this in the Broadband and Net Comms forum.. i just need a quick answer.

Regards

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

To get connectivity through the MAN, you'll have to get it from an ISP.

Enet (www.e-net.ie) are the government agency that manage the fibre network. If you want connectivity throuth the MAN, then you'll have to talk to an operator e.g. Esat BT, NTL, Digiweb (see the website for full list of operators in your area).

I company I know recently got connected, after shopping around (there are some huge differences between operators) the various operators they got the best deal from Digiweb (for a 4MB up/down connection). This is a uncontended link and costs around €15,000 per anum ex VAT.

There is also an installation fee, which varies depending on how far they have to dig to bring the fibre into your premises. I think (not 100% on this) that the minimun installation fee is around €7000 ex VAT. The company in question had an installation fee of €17,000 ex VAT on a dig of maybe around 300m.

I can't remember the figures, but I think a 100MB connection was in the region of €90,000 per anum ex VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Shop around - but to give you a connection to the internet - you will need to go through an ISP - enet / man's only deliver connectivity on that MAN, or back to Dublin. From there you need an ISP to provide you with connectivity, IP addresses, etc.

PM me if you'd like an indicative quote for your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I have seen 5/5 at €10k a year :)

Must depend on location, no operator could/would get near that here in the metropolis of Clonmel...

Sponge Bob wrote:
    as low as €2k if the dig is minimal ... sub 20m

Are you sure about this? €2k seems unusaually cheap for even a small dig, considering they have to supply equipment, terminate fiber, plus do a little digging, even if it is less than 20m!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You would get those prices in Cork Limerick and Galway.

In many cases they avoid the long dig and the restore costs for pavement and tarmac by trunking around a building from the point nearest the MAN And I did accept that 300m could cost €17k which translates into nearly €300 a metre .

normally you look for about €200 a metre including restoration

Advertisement