Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transferring tax from one car to another

Options
  • 20-05-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've jsut agreed to buy a car from a dealership and will be trading in my existing car.

My existing car is taxed for another 3 months - can I transfer that amount to the new car (which is already out of tax), and am I right that this shouldn't affect the trade-in value?

Is it possible to do this easily online or is it one of them things they make to be so much hassle you just don't bother and end up paying twice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

As far as I know, this is simply not possible by any way or means.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My existing car is taxed for another 3 months - can I transfer that amount to the new car
    Tax can't be transferred. The new owner benefits from your generosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

As mentioned above, its not possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tax can't be transferred. The new owner benefits from your generosity.
    It's always a selling point when trying to sell a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Bond-007 wrote:
    It's always a selling point when trying to sell a car.

yes i think its a good selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on how big the engine is I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motor tax is non transferable.

Free motor tax when selling a car will make the car a more attractive proposition to a potenial buyer as they don't have to fork out for motor tax at the same time as buying the car. However it will very unlikely increase the value of the car.

Advertisement