Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Death metal Korn!!!!!!!!!!

• 20-05-2007 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

First off, POST NUMBER 2000 WOOT!!!!!!!!:p :D:)

Check out this video of Falling away from me.

At about 3 mins 5 secs they go deathmetal on that songs ass. Its actually really good!!!

and yes that is Joey Jordison drumming for them.

EDIT: a link might be helpfull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxBGvvFnu8I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Link won't work for me!

Is it Morbid Angel's Dawn of The Angry? I heard they were doing that on a covers album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Link works fine for me.

No its falling away form me played by Korn but they go quite death metal at a point, it is really very cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That was pretty boring I'm afraid. Not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

JD's smile at the end says it all!!

Classic version!!

OK check this out, same gig and its Blind....fast forward to about 4:10...they go even crazier on the outro!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv4_re2IUxY

• Advertisement

Glad to see someone thought that version was really good.!!!

Yeah I was going to mention that too. THat part is ****ing deadly!!!! All the other songs from that gig were our standard affair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

They went a lot more "death metal" on jingle bells a few years ago too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8dYlNpSBZc

Here is another joke christmas song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BV_SkNpU4

Yeah I have heard both of them before. I'm dubious about Jingle balls actually being Korn though.

The Xmas song rules!!!

Yeah I have heard both of them before. I'm dubious about Jingle balls actually being Korn though.

The Xmas song rules!!!

It is korn doing jingle bells,i have a single they released,can't remember what song at the moment and its the b-side on it

Beekay wrote:
    It is korn doing jingle bells,i have a single they released,can't remember what song at the moment and its the b-side on it

Was on the Falling Away From Me single

• Advertisement

O right cool, thanks for clearing that up for me .:)

PCros wrote:
    Was on the Falling Away From Me single

Thats the one!knew it was from issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Umm... that wasn't death metal, or was it? Seriously, all that seemed to be was a bunch of standard Joey-style fills with Davis growling.

Big anticlimax

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Not deathmetal!

I thought it was so cool seeing Joey behind the drums!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

yeah, you should really learn what death metal is before making such statements.

For anyone who's interested, Jon gets a bit growly and Joey Jordison does a fill in... That's it. About as DM as a wet fish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That was a good preformance, but there's more to Death Metal than a distorted vocal and a couple of fills. It's still the same music that Korn have always played, underneath the vocal, it's the same main riff.

Just for reference, here's some actual Death Metal:

So, when Korn start riffing like that, then you've got cause to say "Death Metal Korn!" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

No wonder those guys have forearms like chronic masterbators :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Didn't Deicide do a version of Jingle Bells too...........?? I seem to remember reading about it somewhere..........?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

that was just ok. not WOWOWOWWOW
    So, when Korn start riffing like that, then you've got cause to say "Death Metal Korn!" ;)

WELL you could sayy that then but then Korn would have become absolutely awful. that is really bad. :p

evad_lhorg wrote:
    that is really bad. :p

Your taste in music seems to be broken. :p

• Advertisement

TJust for reference, here's some actual Death Metal:

<video>

I have that DVD (it came with their album "The Wretched Spawn") and it it phenominal to get close ups of the lads doing their thing, especially the bass player (Alex Webster isn't it?). The album was worth purchasing for that DVD alone. You also get to hear Jack Owen (now of Deicide) play some damn cool country blues. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Webster is a phenominal bassist. Incredibly proficient.

Wow karl that video is brilliant.

OK my bad I am willing to admit when I am wrong, although I'm not entirely certain why I am wrong. Perhaps someone could explain to me why I am,although I will likely forget it 2 seconds later,cause thats the way my brain likes to work :( .

Being a singer I tend to focus predominantly on vocals in songs, and that to me could have fitt in to many a death metal song, although again someone will probably dispute this and say that infact those vocals were nothing like death metal vocals.

P.S. I'm not looking for any elitest replys going into loads og sub sub sub genres of metal and whatnot.

It just plain don't sound like death metal. Simple as really. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

That was a good preformance, but there's more to Death Metal than a distorted vocal and a couple of fills. It's still the same music that Korn have always played, underneath the vocal, it's the same main riff.

Typical, thinking Cannibal Corpse are the only death metal worthy of speaking about today, but IMO there are a load of corporate bull****, and for a matter of fact thats not REAL death metal, and want to see good finger work and drumming, this is for all the children here who have never seen real death metal, look at this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ndpGQWw3p1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJD6QzVkPI

yes. Both of those bands are also death metal, both well-liked by Karl Hungus, to the extent that his avatar is Schuldiner, but Cannibal Corpse are also death metal, and a far more typical exponent of the genre, so seems reasonable enough to suggest them as an example. In my humble opinion of course.

This is exactly what I did not want to happen in this thread, Poeple becoming more and more elitest
    Karl was just giving an example, god, do you really want him to list out every single death metal band on the planet ? would you be happy then?

I am more then confident in Karls knowlege and trust that he knows exactly what he is talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

OK my bad I am willing to admit when I am wrong, although I'm not entirely certain why I am wrong. Perhaps someone could explain to me why I am,although I will likely forget it 2 seconds later,cause thats the way my brain likes to work :( .

Being a singer I tend to focus predominantly on vocals in songs, and that to me could have fitt in to many a death metal song, although again someone will probably dispute this and say that infact those vocals were nothing like death metal vocals.
    Explaining the difference in genres is at best an imprecise venture, but the simplest method of differentiating between nu-metal and death metal (or metal in general) is the level of technicality displayed in instrumentation.
    Death metal generally displays its technicality on its sleeve, whereas nu-metal songs tend to stick to simplistic time signatures and chord progressions.

The CC clip that Karl posted is a great way of illustrating the point. Compare CC's bass and guitar work to Korn's and you should have a fair idea of the difference between the two bands.

I hope that wasn't too elitist. ;)

neGev wrote:
    Explaining the difference in genres is at best an imprecise venture, but the simplest method of differentiating between nu-metal and death metal (or metal in general) is the level of technicality displayed in instrumentation.
    Death metal generally displays its technicality on its sleeve, whereas nu-metal songs tend to stick to simplistic time signatures and chord progressions.

The CC clip that Karl posted is a great way of illustrating the point. Compare CC's bass and guitar work to Korn's and you should have a fair idea of the difference between the two bands.

I hope that wasn't too elitist. ;)
    V good explanation!

But in simpler terms, LOUDER, FASTER, ANGRIER!!! :D A good death metal tune will make you want to punch a complete stranger in the face whilst listening to it. A great one will make you go and slaughter a family or 2.

• Advertisement

To be quite honest, Jon did some very excellent Death Metal style vocals. So if it is vocals that you focus on, I can see where you're coming from.

Vocals in DM can be varied enough to begin with, from an incredibly deep grunt to more of a snarl to a scream or a lot of times, clean vocals. So there's nothing to say he didn't do vocals that would easily find themselves at home on a good Death Metal album.

It's more to do with the fact that the genre has a lot more to do with it than just the vocals. That's why I think the Cannibal Corpse video is the perfect example, as you take away the vocals, and what you're left with is still completely distinct and indentifiable as Death Metal.

I'll give you another example:

I think if you listen to that, you'll see a huge difference in drumming also.

And it doesn't have to be super-fast either, here's one of my favourite Death Metal bands, Morbid Angel:

I'd also say that Dave Vincent has possibly some of the best vocals in the entire genre. ;)

Anyway, I hope that helps.
    Kharn wrote:
    V good explanation!

But in simpler terms, LOUDER, FASTER, ANGRIER!!! :D A good death metal tune will make you want to punch a complete stranger in the face whilst listening to it. A great one will make you go and slaughter a family or 2.

You know, for me, Death Metal has never been about anger. It's more about the energy and exhiliration, and just how incredibly powerfull it can be. But not anger. It's never made me feel like punching anyone, never mind slaughtering families.

Advertisement