Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Death metal Korn!!!!!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Off the record, I do recall reading that Jon Davis is a mega CC fan, so one can see where he gets his influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Off the record, I do recall reading that Jon Davis is a mega CC fan, so one can see where he gets his influence.

This is true, and there are a fair few death metal grunts on their Take a look in the mirror album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cheers Karl that would explain it then. And yes I am aware that there is alot more to do with music then just the vocals, Its just that vocals are generally what I lach onto.

Yeah negev that was'nt too elitest for me. I accept the fact that much of the deathmetal genre try to be as technical as they can be and display amazing virtuosity.

But as far as I am concerned Death metal does not have to be clisteringly fast with thousands of notes in each bar .There is a decent number they take a completely different direction, some of which is alot slower and more basic.

Bearing this in mind and looking at Kharns simplified explanation of death metal "LOUDER, FASTER, ANGRIER!!! " remembering that faster has now been taken out of the equation , then how does that korn clip not cantain some deathmetal styling to it as it does get louder and angrier.

I'm still not entirely convinced that that is not deathmetal.

by the way, I really hate using genres as there is alot of music that cannot be put into a single genre.but it is just more practical sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Here's Sleep Terror. They play technical death metal without any vocals.

Hypnogogic Qualm

Probing Tranquility

I've deliberately chosen a band here that exaggerates the point with nothing else to interfere, simply for illustrative purposes. Can you see the difference between that music and Korn?

Yes yes , I know alot of death metal is very technical, but also a decent amount does not focus on being very technical.

by the way, I very much like those two vids. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Why do ye heavy metalers alway fight with each other an try to prove you are more hardcore than each other. ye should all try to get along cause everyone else thinks ye are a shower of homosexuals.

Lol just the kind of constructive comments that this thread needs. If you actually look at some of my previous posts you will see that I went out of my way to ask that this thread not decend into elitest sludge, and so far it hasn't. We aren't arguing anyway I'm just trying to see where these other people are coming from and possibly learn something along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jrad wrote:
    Why do ye heavy metalers alway fight with each other an try to prove you are more hardcore than each other. ye should all try to get along cause everyone else thinks ye are a shower of homosexuals.

And you can have yourself a ban for that.

But as far as I am concerned Death metal does not have to be clisteringly fast with thousands of notes in each bar .There is a decent number they take a completely different direction, some of which is alot slower and more basic.

Bearing this in mind and looking at Kharns simplified explanation of death metal "LOUDER, FASTER, ANGRIER!!! " remembering that faster has now been taken out of the equation , then how does that korn clip not cantain some deathmetal styling to it as it does get louder and angrier.

I would actually ignore what Kharn said. No offense to him, I just don't think he illustrates what Death Metal is all about.

I mean, louder? Does an increase of volume make something Death Metal? If so, does turning up Britney Spears make it DM? Angrier? A lot of Rap music is very angry stuff, does that make it DM?

I really don't believe anger comes into it. I've met so many Death Metal bands over the years, and they're some of the nicest, most laid back people you can come across. They're not angry and aggressive people, and if you look up some interviews on youtube with Chuck Schuldiner for example, he just comes across as such a nice, calm guy.

One thing will clear this up. Ask yourself whether or not you think Falling Away From Me was Death Metal in the first place?

Because the part where Jon does the Death Metal vocals, it's still the same material, it's still the main Falling Away From Me riff. Nothing changes but his vocals, and a few fills from Joey.
    by the way, I really hate using genres as there is alot of music that cannot be put into a single genre.but it is just more practical sometimes

I don't really think about genres so much. They're rough guides, that's all. Kind of a discription at times, an idea of what a band might sound like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Yes yes , I know alot of death metal is very technical, but also a decent amount does not focus on being very technical.
    Is there a band in particular you have in mind when you say this? Or perhaps more than one? It might be easier if we had a point of focus rather than discussing generalities.

• Advertisement

Yeah I guess your right actually, for some reason I thought they played something different, but listening over it again I can see that it was probably just that itsplayed a little faster and a tad more aggressivly too. Thanks for everyones input. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

neGev wrote:
    Here's Sleep Terror. They play technical death metal without any vocals.
    Just checked out their myspace....that is awesome music!!like a mix between Sikth,Mr.bungle and death!thanks for posting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

lol, yeah, I shoulda pointed out that I was being more than a bit silly with that explanation. As an example: Opeth - Death Metallers but not the kind of music to punch strangers to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Just in case you REALLY weren't sure, here's some more death metal.

Visceral Bleeding are terrifying, and amazing to watch live.

And Anata are just brilliant. And Frederik Schallin's vocals..... my god, one of my favourite vocalists ever.

Yes, I posted these just because I like them :p

Kharn wrote:
    lol, yeah, I shoulda pointed out that I was being more than a bit silly with that explanation. As an example: Opeth - Death Metallers but not the kind of music to punch strangers to...

It's odd, but listening to Phil Collins makes me want to stab some bitch to death and play around with her blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

It's odd, but listening to Phil Collins makes me want to stab some bitch to death and play around with her blood.

American Psycho, watched it last night.. nice quote :D

sound_wave wrote:
    American Psycho, watched it last night.. nice quote :D

Bingo! :D

I heard Sussudio on the radio yesterday, and all I could think of was murders and executions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Link won't work for me!

Is it Morbid Angel's Dawn of The Angry? I heard they were doing that on a covers album.
    That covers album was only a suggestion. last I heard about it, Jonathan had said it's just an idea and when they're playing a cover, they'll record it...but dont get your hopes up on this actually being released soon...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Just for reference, here's some actual Death Metal:
    Frantic Disembowelment, good choice, I can play that on the bass :D

Ontopic, yea very disappointing videos tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Pugsley wrote:
    Frantic Disembowelment, good choice, I can play that on the bass :D

... How?

• Advertisement
Advertisement