Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours Maths Paper 1 and 2

Options
  • 20-05-2007 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Has anyone decided for definate what questions they are going to do in both papers? Most people seem to leave out question 4 and 5 on paper 1 but they seem to be some of the easiest on the paper when you do a bit of work on them. I am a repeat and last year I didint go near them but this year im thinking about doing both as I do not particularly like question 3.
    Also on paper 2 last year they threw in the tan inverse graph into the trig. THere was a big deal about it made on the radio as most teachers dont teach it and when I saw it I felt hard done by but it is on the course. COuld the SEB just to make a point put the graph of Sin inverse into the trig questions on paper 2?
    Has anyone else spotted the pattern regarding question 8 part c on paper 1 over the last few years?
    Any predictions for proofs asked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

The sine inverse graph is a good bet.....I'm not leaving any questions off but ideally I'd like to dodge probability if at all possible.But I've still prepared probability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'll do whatever looks easiest on the day.

I didn't get the fuss about the inverse tan graph. To draw a graph you simply plot the points given on graph paper and connect them. Not very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Inverse tan is likely to come up too. Just know the three graphs I guess.

I am doing Q.1,2,3,6,7,8 on P1 and Q1,2,3,4,5,8 on paper 2. They're the only ones we've done in class so if a impossible question comes up I guess I am a question down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sully88

Although it wasnt that difficult 99% of the students in the country had never seen a Q like that before and many of them panicked. Also if you look at question 7 c from last years paper 2 it is impossible to do if you havent done sequences and series. A lot of the teachers in the country dont teach this and as a result many struggled with the question.

^Sequences came up in Q7 P2 last year....

• Advertisement

True the sequences and series thing was sneaky because as was said its not taught by some...but that aside, overall people were caught out because some things were different.They weren't just the same questions with different letters/numbers.They needed to understand concepts rather than have things learned off.As JC 2K3 said for the graph you just had to plot the points....nothing much difficult there,it just looked strange.

Has anyone else heard that the proof of de moivres by induction could come up in Q3 paper 1? Also heard that it could be cosine rule/proof of difference eqns on paper 2?

sully88 wrote:
    Has anyone else heard that the proof of de moivres by induction could come up in Q3 paper 1? Also heard that it could be cosine rule/proof of difference eqns on paper 2?
    I know the deMoivre proof came up in my mocks(by induction) but don't recall the question.......yes I heard that there could be the chance of the cosine rule appearing.Also you know the mcLaurin where you divide 1 by 1+x^2(i think its the tan one:confused: ) that could come up

ye i think thats the tan one. the only question im not really getting the hang of is the circle. I find coordinate geometry grand, but i just cant get my head around the circle.

A circle is just like a line, it's a set of points.

They ask the same questions on the circle all the time.

• Advertisement

Yea the circle can go wrong.Very wrong!Which would force me into one of Qs 6 or 7.Its just that circle questions can take a while to work out....time which i'm not bothered spending!I suppose I'll do a quick revision of it this weekend,then see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

sully88 wrote:
    ye i think thats the tan one. the only question im not really getting the hang of is the circle. I find coordinate geometry grand, but i just cant get my head around the circle.

It's obviously too big; try putting the circle around your head instead.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paper 1: Q1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8
    Paper 2: Q2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Worst thing for me is some proofs. going to go through them this week with the teacher though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I used to hate the circle, but if you are really stuck for the question, apply everything you know to it and one of them will just fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I'll do whatever looks easiest on the day.

Same here. My definites are the Algebra Qs and probably Complex Numbers/Matrices and Q5.

Paper 2, nearly always Vectors, Line, Probability Q6, one Algebra, that awful Q8 and most likely the (awkward and long) Circle Q.

Hope we get for part c) find the circle with... (given points) and is Tangent to the line... That's a great one

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Paper I: 1,2,4,6,7,8 and maybe 3 as a back up. I cant do induction at all!!
    Paper II: 2,3,4,5,6,8

I dont get it why do people hate the sequences and series question?? It's my favourite question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

In Paper 1

I'm planning on doing Q1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and then Q4. I know Q3/5 pretty okay so if a biatch of another questions come up, tis grand.

In Paper 2

I havent really done any study for this!

Q1, 2, 3, are usually sweet once you learn your formulae.

Trig involves alot of work but Probablity can have a few annoying parts.

I am totally screwed for the Option q8 though, lots of work needed in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I can't believe so many people are doing vectors! Its so horrible! I got 9/50 in my vectors question for my mocks! The shame:o

Possibly cos(A-B) proof....possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

I can't believe so many people are doing vectors! Its so horrible! I got 9/50 in my vectors question for my mocks! The shame:o

Keep in mind that the DEB Vector question was tougher than you'd usually get on an LC paper. Vectors in general can be quite nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement