Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks Vs Real

Options
  • 20-05-2007 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked 100 times.

Is the Mocks marked harder than the real?

I got 160 points in the mocks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I always thought so....but I think its more that by the time you sit the mocks things aren't totally done, but by the real thing with all the revision done in class etc it seems easier because you've drilled the stuff so often by then??I dare say you'll do loads better in the real thing, don't worry:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

It's hard to say. Sometimes people are more prepared for the real thing and thus do better since they have a few extra weeks. For me it's the exact opposite though, I was a lot better prepared for the mocks. The mocks maths papers, for higher anyway, seem to be harder than the real thing but then again, it depends which mock paper you had. All in all, it's impossible to say imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

less preperation for the mocks means a lower mark generally(unless you cheated and found out was on the papers here of course ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

(unless you cheated and found out was on the papers here of course ;) )
    But sure NOBODY does that:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I am hoping to go up 30 points, that would make me happy. I feel less prepared now though! But I've
    Oral for pass Irish and (honours) German (out of 25% each I think) done
    Engineering out of 50% done
    LCVP done (hopefully got 50 points)

So that leaves Biology and Physics - gotta cram for these.
    Maths and App Maths - very little study for mocks and didn't fail so should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Personally, ours were marked terribly, and out teachers compared ours aginst other schools, saying ours were marked really hard as well so..not just an excuse.

Also course not finished blah blah blah.

I got 405, I need 510. I know so many people who managed to jump 100+ points, which is quite reassuring. Particularly one girl who would be of the same eh, academic level as me, and managed to jump from 340 to 505, doing all the same subjects as me at the levels- HOW reassuring! Not that it'll automatically happen to me, but I can't see myself missing my points, especially with appealing and it's tendency to drop in the 2nd round. (NO I am not banking on it dropping).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I got 450 in the mocks doing absolutely nothing, and i only want arts, so i might just kick back and sleep in for the next two weeks....
    Probably not though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

No comparison IMO. For example, our Maths mocks came back and were marked rly badly, our own teachers re-checkd all of our papers and we all went up on average by 30%. Jst goes to show ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

lemansky wrote:
    But sure NOBODY does that:D :D

Sure it never crossed my mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

I wouldn't worry about your mocks. If you ahve been timing your studying right you should do miserable in your mocks. I got 5 points in mine and 455 points in the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

There is no one answer...

Depends on the paper, the company, the corrector, the knowledge of the student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I got 5 points in mine and 455 points in the real thing.

ehh? You got 5 points?

OT; I definitely think that people do way better in the LC than in the Mocks. I mean, it's common sense tbh: longer time to revise, finish courses if they weren't already finished, time to grind out exam questions etc. but at the end of the day it all boils down to how much work you actually do between the mocks and the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

ThatGuy wrote:
    No comparison IMO. For example, our Maths mocks came back and were marked rly badly, our own teachers re-checkd all of our papers and we all went up on average by 30%. Jst goes to show ya.
    I'm sorry but that doesn't show much. Teachers always show some favouritism regardless of how hard they try not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wouldn't worry about your mocks. If you ahve been timing your studying right you should do miserable in your mocks. I got 5 points in mine and 455 points in the real thing.

Wouldn't mind improving by 450 points myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

cson wrote:
    Wouldn't mind improving by 450 points myself too.
    Neither would I.That would give me.......over 770 points.Not bad at all really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

:D That just makes me so happy.

Advertisement