Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4c overcharged in Harvey Normans EDIT €10,000 overcharged

Options
  • 20-05-2007 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭

You read it indeed correct. Was printing a few photos and sign up saying 6x4 19c, buy one get one free. So i had 8 photos and should be charged for 4. Now thats 76c but checkout girl said 80c. On pointing out the overcharging, she smiles but had to see about it and would bring it over to me (I had already given her the euro. She made a grand big deal about it then giving me my coppers but its the principal and i do not believe the management has rushed to change the prices so watch out if your getting lots of photos....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

GO Harvey GO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I probably wouldn't bother asking for the 4c ... I'd just want them to aknowledge it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

dubsgirl wrote:
    you can be sure if had handed her 72c she would have asked you for the 4c!

Exactly! Something similar happened to me on the bus - when I was shortchanged by 5c. Now I make a point of making up the fare with a significant portion of coppers and giving them to the bus drivers - little do they know its always 1c short :D

Sweet revenge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

God I really hope this thread is a joke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jesus, I'd be too embarassed to ask for the 4c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Keep an eye out for stuff like this in dunnes & tescos, some things advertised as 29.95 could be 29.99 at the till and even though it is only 4cent you will get it free due to their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

rubadub wrote:
    Keep an eye out for stuff like this in dunnes & tescos, some things advertised as 29.95 could be 29.99 at the till and even though it is only 4cent you will get it free due to their policy.

I thought they finished that at Tescos due to people scamming 360's out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I'm in complete agreement with the OP! and regarding being embarassed to ask for your 4c back, at what amount does you embarassment allow you to get your correct change! 4 euro 40 euro or maybe 400 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Faerie wrote:
    God I really hope this thread is a joke.....

No Joke but lets think about this, everyone getting photos yesterday was being overcharged 1c a photo. If say 100 people got 30 photos each, then they are 30 euro up. If this happened everyday, then its 200 a week roughly. Then a year thats 10,000 euro a year. Give me my cent.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

So from the moment you pointed it out to the moment you got you 4 cent back, how long did it take?

If it takes 3 minutes to get it sorted (from what I've seen in the likes of Dunnes and Tesco's by the time you get a manager over, have the price checked, the over-rided entered into the till and the "refund" returned), the effectively you value your life at 5610.24 Euro.

I based your life expectancey at 80 years and calculated how many times, you could fit the 3 minute transaction in those eighty years.

So what if some big corpo makes that little bit extra cash, if the 4 cent matters that much to you, you really shouldn't be wasting your money on photo's. Especially when you go and hold the rest of the queue up.

Rant over.

Actually No Rant Not Over, pm me your mobile number and I'll put 5 euro credit on it, you can call Joe Duffy and complain to him also, let the nation know what's going one!!!!

• Advertisement

One could also claim how much time overcharging cost the company. Seriously though, I simply pointed out the pricing obviously wrong and the girl at the till made it into a big deal when all she had to do was say, yes, its only 76c. But she then proceeded to made it a lengthy procedure to which I was in nooooooooooo hurry as the photos were going to take 20mins anyway so they gave me some entertainment for a while. Are you saying that in Ireland, no matter what the cost, overcharging is acceptable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

at what amount does you embarassment allow you to get your correct change! 4 euro 40 euro or maybe 400 euro!

I'd say €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

gillo wrote:
    So what if some big corpo makes that little bit extra cash

Yeah, I'm sure it's no harm throwing money away to big corporate companies. They need it more than we do.

Sure why don't you walk in and just hand them that €5 you ranted about.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

the point is that they would have no embarrassment asking you for the 4c if you were short! They just wouldn't sell you the item if you hadn't got enough. Neither I nor the OP probably need the 4c but surely they need it less? Also does my head in when your owed say 2c change and they say sorry I've no change, I usually just tell them to give me 5c and I'll owe them the 3c... why should they have it!

PS. I know I'm a pain in the a*se but I just can't help myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I went to a fast food restaurant one night (any port in a storm) and realised I had very little money in my pocket. I looked at the prices and ordered based on what money I had. The girl on the till asked me for 7c more than I had. :eek: I told her she was wrong and she read out the individual prices from the till. One item was advertised on their menu at 7c less than what was programmed into the till. She said the till was always right. Did I back down? No way. I told her they can't have false advertisements and had to give it to me for the price advertised. She disputed this and I asked for the manager who agreed with me. He had forgotten to change the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

rubadub wrote:

Not neccessarily. In most places you only get it free if you actually paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

My local Texaco had 5% Budweiser advertised at €1.79, but were charging €1.99 a can, but sure whats 20c? They also had rashers at half price of only €2.50 instead of €5.00 a pack and charging full price, but sure whats €2.50? THey also had orange juice advertised at €1.59, but were charging €2.19. I bought 24 cans of beer (5% bud is hard to find) 2 packs of rashers and 2 cartons of juice, among other things. Total discrepancies on the bill (for what I spotted) was €10.40, but sure whats €10.40?

No wonder why we keep ripped off in this country, its not the money, its the principle. People jump up and down at the fact that we get ripped in every aspect of buying product and service, but when it comes to actually doing something about it, people will say, ah sure its only a moany git who'd ask for the 4c back. If they keep getting away with it, that 4c will become 10c will become 20c and so on. And as financially flippant as some people may be, there are others out there to whom every penny counts, so fair play OP, if I'd have been there in the queue behind you I'd have been grinning like a cheshire cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Brilliant mate, well done. Hold up the queue as long as you want. Too many people have that Irish apologetic manner when someone else makes a mistake. I applaud your pricinciples.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What really pi**es me off is when you buy something for say €4.95 and tender €10 and they just hand you back €5. I make a point of demanding my 5c and I don't care who is embarrassed. Apart from defrauding you of your entitlement they are treating you with utter contempt. Stuff it to them I say. Or the other one "I've no fives, I'll owe you five" I say "well then, give me ten and I'll owe you five".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Got a taxi home last week, got there and asked how much. Was told 13 euro.

Already had 15 in my hand, but as it was a bit higher than I expected I glanced at the meter, which read 12.70. Put the fiver back in my pocket and spend a couple of minutes counting out 2.70 in change.

It's not the thirty cents - I probably would just have asked him for 2 quid back anyway - more the fact that he just decided to round it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

There is someone who works in 911 in UCD who just doesn't give out 1c in change.

If you are due €4.51 you get €4.50 - ALWAYS

It's happened to me about 5/6 times over the last month or so and the last time I just stood there after she gave it to me and held out my hand and said 'and the 1c'. She looked at me like I had two heads and I just repeated 'and the 1c'. Then she took about 10 seconds checking through my chnage (even though she must know I was a cent short cos she always does it) and handed me the cent.

She hasn't left me short since.

To the poster who said that doing something like this values your life at €5000 or something you have completely missed the point if you think I do this for the money. I do it because after it had happened to me a couple of times it annoyed me and after I was p1ssed off for a few minutes afterwards because of it. So rather then be p1ssed off at some lazy cow I spent 15/20 seconds getting it out of my system. Time well spent I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ciaranfo wrote:
    I probably wouldn't bother asking for the 4c ... I'd just want them to aknowledge it :)

Same as me.But it is 4 cent and can be used elsewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

It's your money. Don't be embarassed.
    I've often been shortchanged by 1 cent, because they had no one cents left, and I've never accepted it, they then give me 2 cents after I demand my cent!
    I don't believe it's being petty. I agree it's the principle of the thing.

The one think which I want to check is the offical scanned price is 20c (posters say 19) so are they making 1c more than they advertise from each photo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In the place where I last worked (my first job using a till), I made a point of getting people their correct change, if I hadn't got 5c to give them back I asked them had they got 5c and if they did then I'd take it from them and give them a 10c back. It was the same with 1c and 2c. Why give it to the company, when it's your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If the shoe was on the other, how many of you an honestly say that you would point out that you are being undercharged, whether it be by 1 cent or a few hundred euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

gillo wrote:
    If the shoe was on the other, how many of you an honestly say that you would point out that you are being undercharged, whether it be by 1 cent or a few hundred euro?

Yes. I would point out if there was a mistake made at the till from either side. I worked on till job many many moons ago, so I know what its like from that side too. Though I cant say I've ever actually made a cash purchase big enough to have potential for an error in the hundreds.

Advertisement