Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subs over dubs

Options
  • 20-05-2007 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Just something im curious about, why most us hardcore anime fans always go for subs over dubs? I mean with animation it shouldnt make a difference right?

My theory, thinking of both the subbed and dubbed naruto eps, we can take the cheesey relationship dialog between the charaters more seriously when we're reading it rather than hearing it. Also some japanese humour only works in the higher pitch tone of the janpanese language. If you ever check out the dubbed version of Azumanga Daioh it loses all the humor purely cause of the dubbing.

Of course i like to think its cause i wanna hear the anime the way the director made it but i feel like i miss out on some of the visual elements cause im concentrating on the subtitles too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

carbonkid wrote:
    Just something im curious about, why most us hardcore anime fans always go for subs over dubs? I mean with animation it shouldnt make a difference right?

My theory, thinking of both the subbed and dubbed naruto eps, we can take the cheesey relationship dialog between the charaters more seriously when we're reading it rather than hearing it. Also some japanese humour only works in the higher pitch tone of the janpanese language. If you ever check out the dubbed version of Azumanga Daioh it loses all the humor purely cause of the dubbing.

Of course i like to think its cause i wanna hear the anime the way the director made it but i feel like i miss out on some of the visual elements cause im concentrating on the subtitles too much.

Because when they dub it they also feck around with the dialogue.
    Like in the first episode of Eureka Seven, the voice actors says "sucks" maybe 10 times within 5 minutes. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

To be honest i just find the original japanese voice overs suit the characters they act for. Also Japanese Voice overs seem alot more believable in the characters they portray in how they speak, react etc. I don't really mind reading subtitles, it usually takes me a split second to read the sub then i focus on the anime itself and doesn't take anything away from it. I don't mind dubs either but if i started watching an anime in subs with japanese voice overs id want to view the rest of the anime like that and vice versa with dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

yea i find the original language always more enjoyable. But as thelastangryman said they do change dialogue so i suppose a reason why i'll pick sub :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

In my humbler, I always viewed dubbing as a hook to try and get mainstream attention to the animé, and then, when they gain more of an appreciation for it, they switch to subs. This was confirmed when I asked my girlfriend (a hardcore mainstreamer) if she wanted to watch Akira, and she said;
    "If I wanted to read, I'd've bought a feckin' book!"

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

it only works when it is done well eg. any ghibli film, evangelion, flcl. but these are done by the bigger studios who can afford to spend money on decent voice talent.
    mostly bad dubs come from companies eg manga which buy crap anime and dub it with crappy voice talent eg. johnny yong bosch. they don't spend enough on good translators, voice directiors etc. its basically garbage in, garbage out.

also, imo, it doesn't suit some anime to be dubbed. such as hyperactive fanservice comedy types, alot of the humour is lost in the translation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement