Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam hints which aren't hints

Options
  • 20-05-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭

Our lecturer gave us tips on what was coming up on the exam which a good bit didn't turn up and stuff that he didn't say was coming up which did.

I put it this way. He said Q1 had this this and this and the same for each other question.

I would rather not be told anything if they are going to do things like this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

thats harsh.

thats like what happened our class last year.

on the last day our lecturer said what each question would be on the paper. luckily i stayed in bed that morning because on the day of the exam our paper got mixed up with another classes (this class had the same lecturer for the same subject) and not one of the questions she said came up.even tho the syllubus was the same for both classes, understandably a lot of ppl were mighty pissed of!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

don't trust them as far as you can throw them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Most lecturers are decent, but I have had one or two that believe you should know the entire course content so try and lull you into a false sense of security and then spring a load of obscure questions on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most lecturers are decent, but I have had one or two that believe you should know the entire course content so try and lull you into a false sense of security and then spring a load of obscure questions on ya.
    Do you believe you shouldn't know the entire course content? :confused:

i understand it can be a pain to be told one topic is comming up, then the opposite appears. But it could be worse. Surely all the topics on the paper were covered in lectures at some point. I had an exam yesterday in a subject that we didnt get one lecture in. And I mean literally, Im not talking about a lecture that was out alot, this guy was in but for his slot he talked with us about all sorts, and not once did he talk, or lecture on a topic that was related to the subject. When exam came around he expected us to know the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

you should get in touch with academic affairs. the one overriding rule when it comes to exams is that you can't be examined on what you haven't been taught. if your notes reflect that you can appeal any decisions made. i'm assuming here that cos you weren't taught the topics you didn't do well in the exam. so if you want to save your grade average get in touch with academic affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Mellor wrote:
    Do you believe you shouldn't know the entire course content? :confused:

i understand it can be a pain to be told one topic is comming up, then the opposite appears. But it could be worse. Surely all the topics on the paper were covered in lectures at some point. I had an exam yesterday in a subject that we didnt get one lecture in. And I mean literally, Im not talking about a lecture that was out alot, this guy was in but for his slot he talked with us about all sorts, and not once did he talk, or lecture on a topic that was related to the subject. When exam came around he expected us to know the topic.

In certain courses I don't believe you should know the entire content. Sure you should have a knowledge of them, but not to the extent that you can qoute finer details that were mentioned once. If it was engineering for example then yes, I wouldn't be suprised at having to know the entire course, but for an humanities course it's not always the case.

The lecturer in question wasn't a guy called Liam Greene was it? I had him lecturing before and he really never touched the course, it was very very strange. We made complaints etc and in the end half the class just stopped coming in. The exam was very funny.

As for questions in the exam having to be taught to you, that's only if it's a taught course. I imagine most of the DIT ones are, but some courses require independant study etc.

Advertisement