Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

celicas headlights condensation?

Options
  • 20-05-2007 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

A friend at work has a 2001 Celica. Lately shes been getting a build up of condensation inside the headlamps.

There seems to be no seam broken or anything visible thats causing this.

Anyone have a fix for this or know whats causing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

anybody be able to help out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds to me like its got a tiny hole in it somewhere. Is it happening on both lamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually, if there is no evidence or a crack or stone chip, it is the seal between the lens and the headlamp casing that is allowing air to get in and consequently condensation forms. I'm not 100% sure about a Celica, but usually it is not possible to replace the seal and the only remedy is to get a new headlamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If someone changed a bulb and didn't put the cover back correctly perhaps moisture got in. The moisture that is in the light can usually be removed by directing hot air from a hairdryer into the headlight from the back (be careful not to get the light unit and lens get too hot though!) Even if you remove the moisture it may return although I have seen instances where it didn't return after hairdrying

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know the current Avensis had a poorly designed plastic cover that clips on to the rear of the headlights. This has been know to break easily when replacing a bulb, resulting in moisture forming on the inside of the lense. Toyota acknowledged this and replaced the whole headlight unit on Avensis which experienced this problem. I had my two front headlights replaced about 2 years ago for this issue and the problem hasn't returned since.

The Celica could have a similar design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

cheers for the replys guys!
    Sounds to me like its got a tiny hole in it somewhere. Is it happening on both lamps?

Yeah both lamps are exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Barr wrote:
    Yeah both lamps are exactly the same

If both bulbs were changed at the same time then it could be as BrianD3 and bazz explained. This would be my first port of call in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CelicaStorm

Hey Barr,
    this is a common problem with the 7th Gen Celica. One of my headlights has it at present. Here's a few links for Celica owner clubs (mostly US but are excellent) and you can search their Forums

http://www.newcelica.org/

http://www.teamcelica.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

And for you Celica fans it looks like it will be back in 2009. :)

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/toyota-celica-replacement-coming-in-2009/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Have a similar problem to Barr on my 96 carina-e, except on my headlamp there is a stone chip. Is there any product that can seal the crack on the glass and not melt when it heats up?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

cubix wrote: »
    Have a similar problem to Barr on my 96 carina-e, except on my headlamp there is a stone chip. Is there any product that can seal the crack on the glass and not melt when it heats up?
    Superglue. Worked for me.

Advertisement