Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Blue Oyster Cult

• 21-05-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone fans of them? A quick search on google for "blue oyster cult boards.ie" brought up this link, so afaik, nobody has talked about them here (apart from aforementioned link).

I got my hands on their best of a few weeks ago, but before that I had only heard Dont Fear The Reaper, Metallica's cover of Astronomy and Godzilla (from guitar hero). I have listened to the whole lot almost every day ever since, and I will have to say that it is one of the best 'best of's that I have ever listened to. As soon as I earn some cash during the summer, I'm gonna have to get their back catalogue.

Highly recommend this gem: Joan Crawford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Don't Fear The Reaper
    ...is all I've heard by them. How does the rest of their stuff compare to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i got the greatest hits at the end of feburary, its class. they are a grest 70's band. its a pitty they aren't doing a date in ireland, would definatly go asd see them if they were. wonder is there much of the original lineup left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

well if the Saxon gig is anything to go by - I would say BOC gig would do very well over here - especially if they kept it small like Saxon did - Temple Bar Music centre would be cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

neGev wrote:
    How does the rest of their stuff compare to it?
    Since I'm not gonna say "Don't Fear The Reaper is great but everything else is shíte" :D , but their stuff varies from being classic 70s rock to rock with a dose of 80's cheese, all depending on the era.

If you know Don't Fear The Reaper and have followed the above link to Joan Crawford, try Take Me Away (80's) and Godzilla (also on Guitar Hero)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

The X-Brothers, who feature Joe Bouchard of Blue Oyster Cult are doing a few dates around Ireland in July with Diamond Head and a few other bands. I've seen the X Brothers before and their set list is mainly BOC standards, unsurprisingly as Joe was their bass player up 'til about 1986. (he plays lead in the X Brothers). They are well worth checking out. Dates can be found here http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61214104 Blue Oyster Cult were always at their best live, so a good place to start would be Some Enchanted Evening from 1978 and Extraterrestrial Live from 1982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

More Cowbell!!

:D

A band i've been meaning to get into. I only know Don't fear the Reaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

as much cowbell as you can get!
    its all here, enjoy:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BOC rocks! I've got a few albums including thier 'lost' masterpiece Imaginos (by it 'new' on amazon for 100 bucks!) which got deleted by CBS not long after its release.

As a starter I'd reccomend workshop of the telescopes is a double CD covering all phases up to Club Ninja in 1986.

The band limped on until all the ex-members returned for Imaginos which is a whacky concept album that George Lucas was briefly intersted in filming. (Supernatural origins of WW1 is the theme).

There are two basic phases of BOC, the early pre-Don't Fear the Reaper material which is 'scuzzy' and dark and the more polished radio friendly stuff after 1977.

Mike.

Advertisement