Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting cards.

Options
  • 21-05-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I'm from Donegal and moved to Strabane in Co. Tyrone last year. I voted in the Assembly elections here in March. Last week, I got two (2) :D voting cards for the election, (re-direction from An Post), both in the same constituency but at different polling stations outside Lifford. One was addressed to my parent's house and the other to my previous address. I have no intention of using them. Was it up to me to remove my name from the register? Also, I think this is probably happening quite a lot around the country and a few people would vote twice. What are the rules regarding this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

AFAIK...

It is not an offence to be registered twice but it is to try and use it twice.

Personally i believe that anyone caught intentional voting twice is guilty of treason and should be very harshly dealth with but thats just me.

You should have filled in a form know as... i think its RA2 which would remove you from one register and place you on another.

Now even if you did that there is always the chance it wont be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Just thinking here guys. What if I just went out now and used both these cards? What is there to stop me? I have the cards and my id. (Both presiding officers know me personally as well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's possible and in two different polling stations they would have different lists. So yes, ideally you could get away with it.

Advertisement