Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie could replace Wolfowitz

Options
  • 21-05-2007 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

A. Wicked Wolfowitz hounded from the World Bank following partner pay rise revelation.

B. Bertie might not make Taoiseach and has impeccable credentials (N.I., economic turnaround).

Ideal fallback position or what!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Except that since it's inception,the head of the world bank has always been a U.S citizen and thats a precedent that Georgie boy won't be changing.
    Besides if FF come in at 65 to 70 seats(and the higher end is likely with the latest poll) then that party wont want him moving.

At any rate his retirement job will be a well paid one in private business or in the EU,it's the most logical expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tony Blair was mentioned during the week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Sure.

I mean he has the nesscary academic qualifictions doesnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Absolutely no chance. The World Bank is a development agency, Double Standards Bertie ("er, actually, we're not going to live up to our commitment on 0.7% of GDP for a few years yet") should not get anywhere near the World Bank.

Stanley Fischer FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

That is the strangest suggestion I have ever heard on this board.

Do you know who currently holds that post? One of the Architects of the Iraq war? A neocon that was responsible for one of the bloodiest mistakes in the past two decades :confused::confused::confused::confused:

This thing is a world bank in the way the Baseball in America is a World series

I would suggest you read up on this bank before you besmirch our Taoiseach anymore

http://www.radioopensource.org/economic-hit-men/

Slobo had he not died in the hague, had banking credentials... and kicked off the Genocide in the former Yugoslavia.... he would have been perfect

• Advertisement

AidoCQS wrote:
    I bought that book in the full hope that it would instill some revolutionary ideas into this maturing student head, that perhaps I might gain that healthy cynicism I once had about global capitalism.

Instead I got tabloid shite.
    Slobo had he not died in the hague, had banking credentials... and kicked off the Genocide in the former Yugoslavia.... he would have been perfect
    And you say Bertie in the World Bank is a strange suggestion? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A man who doesn't like using bank accounts running the World Bank? The irony:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

I suppose the symmetry could be appealing, one knacker from Dublin going around trying to give sub prime loans to dictators and another one (Bono) trying to get G8 to forget about those loans…. They could keep each other in Business for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Bert and Wolfowitz do have similar traits when it comes to rewarding girlfriends/ex-girlfriends!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Ibid wrote:
    Absolutely no chance. The World Bank is a development agency, Double Standards Bertie ("er, actually, we're not going to live up to our commitment on 0.7% of GDP for a few years yet") should not get anywhere near the World Bank.

Stanley Fischer FTW.

I hate the way the media describe the WB as some sort of charity its not its a bank yes a development bank, but its privatize all your services and give us the contracts bank.

• Advertisement

its a bank
    Owned by 185 nations, set up at Breton Woods. Simply calling it a bank is as much of a misrepresentation as simply calling it a charity. It's like a Central Bank more than anything else.
    privatize all your services and give us the contracts bank.
    Massive misrepresentation #2. An incompetent Central Bank, but not as you described. You know that Nobel prize-winning economist Joe Stiglitz author of books like Making Globalization Work was approached by the World Bank, after a spell on Clinton's cabinet, to be their Chief Economist? And that he accepted?

Of course he left in protest at their incompetence, but that's irrelevant to whether or not they're a "privatize all your services" group. I don't think such a group with ask the guy who essentially founded "The Third Way" to be their Chief Economist, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

il gatto wrote:
    A man who doesn't like using bank accounts running the World Bank? The irony:)

The same man who signed blank cheques.

Imagine him running the WB...or even a country. :mad:

Advertisement