Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Open 2007 Results - All Events

• 21-05-2007 5:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

BoylePoker-Waterford Open 2007
    Friday - 18th May

MAIN EVENT

€500 + €50

181 ENTRIES
    PRIZEPOOL - €90,500

1st - John Ward - €14,300
    2nd - Eddie Walsh - €12,000
    3rd - Colm Kennedy - €12,000
    4th - Victor Brophy - €12,000
    5th - Paddy Dooley - €12,000
    6th - Paul Curran - €6,000
    7th - Marty Sheridan - €4,300
    8th - Michael Douglas - €3,300
    9th - Robert Taylor - €2,300
    10th-Mick Ffrench - €2,000
    11th-Damien Daniels -€1,500
    12th-John Weafer - €1,250
    13th-Ross Johnson-€1,250
    14th-John Mc Gill (dublin) -€1,100
    15th-Kenneth Graney - €1,100
    16th-Patrick Stephens - €1,000
    17th-Ian Nolan - €1,000
    18th-Chris Dowling - €1,000
    19th-Evan Frisby - €1,000

€225 + €25 Freezeout Saturday 19th may

69 Entries - €15,525

1st Jim Delaney - €4,750
    2nd Tom Murphy - €3,000
    3rd John Gough - €1,800
    4th Pat Storan - €1,500
    5th John Raftery - €1,200
    6th Mick Rossiter - €1,000
    7th Trevor Mc Goona - €800
    8th Mark Rayburn - €700
    9th Anna Colley - €525
    10th Leon Treacy - €250

Event 3 - €150 + €20 Freezeout

86 Entries - €12,900

1st Wes Farrell - €3,050
    2nd David Smith - €3,050
    3rd Vivian Browne - €1,500
    4th Bruno Apollonio - €1,200
    5th Mark Lassan - €1,050
    6th - Brian 'O Connell - €850
    7th - Mick Stevens - €700
    8th - Seamus Aldridge - €600
    9th - Sligo John - €500
    10th - Vera Duffy - €400

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭58o

Nice result in the 150 Wes. WP

BTW that chop in the main event was disgusting. 5 way even chop with one guy having half the chips in Play. I'd be pretty sick if i had gone out 9th-6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

58o wrote:

BTW that chop in the main event was disgusting. 5 way even chop with one guy having half the chips in Play. I'd be pretty sick if i had gone out 9th-6th.

theres always going to be a deal at some time or other and the last player before the deal is going to miss out, thats poker.

I'm not so sure I'd have done that deal as chip leader (not that I'd ever be in that position) but it says an awful lot about the character of the players and the friendliness of the weekend. Great credit to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭58o

kakak1 wrote:
    theres always going to be a deal at some time or other and the last player before the deal is going to miss out, thats poker.

I'm not so sure I'd have done that deal as chip leader (not that I'd ever be in that position) but it says an awful lot about the character of the players and the friendliness of the weekend. Great credit to all involved.

i've absolutely nothing against deals at all either but 5 handed when you have half the chips in play is a pretty bad spot for a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

it's a crazy deal! anyone know the cl, and why he agreed to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shocking deal. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol, nice deal.

g'wan sligo john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

dare I say it..... Do I recognise some of the CPT regulars cashing? and cashing well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Nice one Wes, Paul and anyone else that cashed great touch for the weekend away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well done to all

Nice win Wes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

whats wrong with the chop here as 2,3,4 and 5th all get the same any way and this way everyone gets an extra 500 quid 1st place paid an extra 2k or something so there is not a big diff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

Well done Eddie Walsh..True Gentleman...and a pretty good player..probably best bar one or two at final table..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Macspower wrote:
    dare I say it..... Do I recognise some of the CPT regulars cashing? and cashing well?
    just because they spend more on reg fees doesn't mean they're crap at poker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 julio36

wes, well done mate, as the other member of the sporting emporium crew on the second last table, delighted you won it.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

julio36 wrote:
    wes, well done mate, as the other member of the sporting emporium crew on the second last table, delighted you won it.

John

Was that you that came 3rd or 5th in the 250 game John?

P.S. I'd like to add my envious congrats to Wes as well. Luckbox! :p

Also I'd like to say I really enjoyed railing Rob throughout the tournie. To see the commitment and the energy he applied when both a chip leader and a shortstack was inspiring stuff. He never gave up for a second when lesser players would have shipped it in on a wing and a prayer long before that. Really dissapointed that you couldn't take it down Rob.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

58o wrote:

yea i went out in 6th , obviously sick , but its out of my hands. I dont know how the guy with 1.2 million chips done an even split!

Nice one Wes, good result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

after hanging on for ages to get to the final table in ok shape, bit annoyed to lose a massive pot and be first out on the final table. but was going for the win at that stage as they say, anyway, tremendous weekend, really enjoyed it, and fair play to Neill and his crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Was anybody playing with Michael Douglas?

His posts on here seem to indicate that he is insane but he cashed in the Main Event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

I Blew Up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

dougee19 wrote:
    I Blew Up!!!

:confused:

2nd in chips after day 1, 3rd after day 2, and chip leader by a bit going into final table....
    just blew up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

dougee19 wrote:
    2nd in chips after day 1, 3rd after day 2, and chip leader by a bit going into final table....
    just blew up!!!

I dont think you had to get involved at all in your exit hand. If your read was right it would have been one helluva call play. It was ballsy but crazy IMO.

Flushdraw wrote:
    I dont think you had to get involved at all in your exit hand. If your read was right it would have been one helluva call play. It was ballsy but crazy IMO.
    oh i without a doubt didnt have to get involved.....
    even my ace king hand i should have folded....
    my final table play was horrendous, plain and simple, i had enough chips to sit back and take it so easy and just cocked up....
    the 8's hand... all i was thinking is he didnt have an overpair to me, i didnt even think of a hand he could have had with the jack, had aj ruled out and didnt even think of kj or lower... no need to reraise, i have 500k+ at that point and didnt need to get involved.... messed it up completely

at least i know where i went wrong and it will massively help me in the future if i get to the same situation again
    i never re-adjusted to the full table, i was still in the 5/6 handed mode we had been in for the whole day and never got my head around the full table and was getting way too involved.... pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

thanks lads, yeah was a good end to the weekend as i really enjoyed this game, and as already mentioned in other posts i'd like to thank neil and crew for puttin on a great show........
    WP Paul, you played some super poker - very good result.... the long drive, stuck in traffic doesnt seem to bad now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

really good tourney. wp wes and paul. got out up for the weekend after ross managed to cash even though was down to 2.5k in the 2nd level on day 1. best play of the tourney was the bluff which paul (gus ivey) made at the end of day 2. post up the hand if u can remeber.

dougee19 wrote:
    oh i without a doubt didnt have to get involved.....
    even my ace king hand i should have folded....
    my final table play was horrendous, plain and simple, i had enough chips to sit back and take it so easy and just cocked up....
    the 8's hand... all i was thinking is he didnt have an overpair to me, i didnt even think of a hand he could have had with the jack, had aj ruled out and didnt even think of kj or lower... no need to reraise, i have 500k+ at that point and didnt need to get involved.... messed it up completely

at least i know where i went wrong and it will massively help me in the future if i get to the same situation again
    i never re-adjusted to the full table, i was still in the 5/6 handed mode we had been in for the whole day and never got my head around the full table and was getting way too involved.... pointless

I dont think your AK hand was played badly. He was pushing a lot being the shorty so i'd call there too. Eddie folding AK beside you didnt help too much though. QQ was a straight race and after you turning the nuts(well top straight) while giving him a set, the paired river was a sickener. He didnt even realise you had a straight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dougee19 wrote:
    I Blew Up!!!

A suprise to everyone i'm sure :D

Flushdraw wrote:
    I dont think your AK hand was played badly. He was pushing a lot being the shorty so i'd call there too. Eddie folding AK beside you didnt help too much though. QQ was a straight race and after you turning the nuts(well top straight) while giving him a set, the paired river was a sickener. He didnt even realise you had a straight!
    lol, yeah i noticed that....
    and eddie actually had 10-10... which would have been a sick beat(2outer on turn) if he hadnt hit the house on the river...
    and i knew he was strong... he isnt the type of player to push in that position after doing it twice in a row, he had to have a strong hand for pushing the third time and when i put my money in i thought i was behind so it was a bad call....

ntlbell wrote:
    A suprise to everyone i'm sure :D
    well im sure the final table result was a surprise to everyone too....
    why not point that fact out instead of trying to make fun of me.... hahaha
    you are soooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!! :rolleyes:

ollyk1 wrote:
    Was that you that came 3rd or 5th in the 250 game John?

sure was...
    ollyk1 wrote:
    P.S. I'd like to add my envious congrats to Wes as well. Luckbox! :p

:p
    ollyk1 wrote:
    Also I'd like to say I really enjoyed railing Rob throughout the tournie. To see the commitment and the energy he applied when both a chip leader and a shortstack was inspiring stuff. He never gave up for a second when lesser players would have shipped it in on a wing and a prayer long before that. Really dissapointed that you couldn't take it down Rob.:(

agreed 100% great come back from day two....

• Advertisement

AKQJ10 wrote:
    really good tourney. wp wes and paul. got out up for the weekend after ross managed to cash even though was down to 2.5k in the 2nd level on day 1. best play of the tourney was the bluff which paul (gus ivey) made at the end of day 2. post up the hand if u can remeber.

This was it, as best I can remember.

Blinds were 1500/3000 ( I think )

I was on the button with 95 of diamonds.

Villian was on small blind and had been coming over the top of me almost every time i raised from cut-off or button.

I was sitting on 250k, Villin had around 150k.

I raise from the button to 11k. Villian re-raises AGAIN to 23k.
    I decide to see a flop as i am in position.

Flop comes : Q, 7 , 3 with 2 clubs

Villian bets 22k, I call.

Turn comes: Ace of clubs

Villian checks , I bet 28k , Villian calls

River comes: 5 of clubs, putting 4 clubs on board

Villian ponders , then checks again, I bet out 45k into a pot of around 150k.

Villian thinks for around 3/4 minutes, staring me down and eventualy fold his As8c only for me to turn over my rubbish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Shuffles

paddy dooley in 5th must have had a good few big men in black suits standing around him cracking their knuckles for that deal to come off.

Gus Ivey wrote:

Villian was on small blind and had been coming over the top of me almost every time i raised from cut-off or button.

Villian thinks for around 3/4 minutes, staring me down and eventualy fold his As8c only for me to turn over my rubbish!!

paul i was watching this hand and you played it to prefection IMO, i still dont know how he folds here as he has the 8c and is only 40k into a massive pot.... when u turned it over his face droped..... your a bad ass Mutha Fu@ka..

paul i was watching this hand and you played it to prefection IMO, i still dont know how he folds here as he has the 8c and is only 40k into a massive pot.... when u turned it over his face droped..... your a bad ass Mutha Fu@ka..

His fold is horrible IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

still was going to be a lot of his stack at that stage it was a good bet he regretted not putting in a bet which would have prevented you making the move i dont believe you would have re-raised in the situation??

theres no way Paul can call or come over the top of a decent sized bet on the river as it was a stone cold bluff and if the dude makes a big bet he is fully committed which paul is fully aware of....

• Advertisement

tipp86 wrote:
    still was going to be a lot of his stack at that stage it was a good bet he regretted not putting in a bet which would have prevented you making the move i dont believe you would have re-raised in the situation??

The villain should push the turn if he wants to go with the hand. He has put half his stack in at that point. I try to never stick half my stack in on a hand with another street to go. If I ever do though - it's cause I ain't folding to any bet for the other half.

I also think that the hero's flop call is terrible given the effective stack size at that point.

If villain plays competently the bluff never works. Some may disagree, but I honestly believe that both players made a number of errors. Not very clever stuff IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    His fold is horrible IMO.
    how is it? he can never be ahead here, he is beating so little. 40K looks liek such a value bet.

theres no way Paul can call or come over the top of a decent sized bet on the river as it was a stone cold bluff and if the dude makes a big bet he is fully committed which paul is fully aware of....

if he makes a stopper bet of 30k or something, i am folding and telling him i had JJ or something...
    The way the hand played it looked like I had a big club as it was the only bluff i made at the table in 3-4 hours.

Lloyd I dont think the fold was bad , I think everyone playing and watching had said they put me on KcX

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I also think that the hero's flop call is terrible given the effective stack size at that point.

The villian was playing aggresive, and always showing strength on the flop if he had raised PF. However betting a small 20k into a 50k pot and looking nervous about it cried out weakness. Maybe i should have raised the flop but I quickly called instead. He then check called the turn and checked the river which is showing more weakness allowing myself to steal the pot on the river

the stopper bet was the mistake it probably would have been the way to play it if he had been re raised he knows where he stands he could never check call with the hand imo i wont complain had 40% in villian he didnt perform to bad in general for his first big tournament

• Advertisement

Gus Ivey wrote:
    The villian was playing aggresive, and always showing strength on the flop if he had raised PF. However betting a small 20k into a 50k pot and looking nervous about it cried out weakness. Maybe i should have raised the flop but I quickly called instead. He then check called the turn and checked the river which is showing more weakness allowing myself to steal the pot on the river

You should raise the flop.

A check, call from most villains on the turn equals a club in their hand. That hits and you give him monster odds to call off with it. He only needs to be ahead less than one time in three to profitably call. And he should be good that often - his fold is therefore bad IMO.

- You should raise the flop if you percieve weakness

- He should never check, call the turn - unless he is planning to Irish push or check, call on every river

- You are begging for a call on the end

- He should never fold

Multiple errors IMO. But hey - I may very well be wrong.

tipp86 wrote:
    the stopper bet was the mistake it probably would have been the way to play it if he had been re raised he knows where he stands he could never check call with the hand imo i wont complain had 40% in villian he didnt perform to bad in general for his first big tournament

I'm sure both Villain and hero did a lot of things right on their way that deep into the tourney. I am not saying they are bad players - and I don't mean to take away from results that both players should feel proud about.

I am just noting what I perceive as errors in the hand.

ya agree with you llyod i think villain may well make his first post on boards later so il let him explain himself

Gus Ivey wrote:

I decide to see a flop as i am in position. I think villians reraise is too small here and hr didnt ask the question. Maybe you can 4bet here if you see his minraise as weakness

Villian bets 22k, I call. Again his bet sizing is off. Its only 22k into a 49k pot. You could take it off him here aswel but elect to flat call and i presume wait to bluff a scare card

Villian checks , I bet 28k , Villian calls. [COLOR="Red"]The pot is 83k now and you only bet 28k. If he comes OTT now you cant call[/COLOR]

Villian ponders , then checks again, I bet out 45k into a pot of around 150k.45k into a 140k pot here looks like you want a call. You played it like you were chasing and he gave you credit for a big flush.

Villian thinks for around 3/4 minutes, staring me down and eventualy fold his As8c only for me to turn over my rubbish!!Nothing wrong with his fold here IMO having played it this badly so far

This was near bubble time of the tournament aswel which i'm sure had an effect of both players play in the hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

N1 in the €150 Wes

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ckarsenal

before i reply bout d hand i got bluffed off can i 1st acknoledge d fellow players i was playing with over the three days, dey were al dead sound specially when we got towards d end and made d tournament so much fun.
    on d hand i got bluffed:
    The poker stacks as 'Gus' described are fairly accurate. Gus raised a standard amount on button, i looked down at Ace 8 off in small blind. i cant remember exact size bets but i re-raised definately more gus has been mentioned to at least 3 times his original bet. he called and the flop came as he said.
    i didnt connect but decided to take a one stab at it with just over half pot size bet and he called. Takes a good player at that stage so close to bubble to flat call with nothin to set up bluff, but to be honest i wasnt sure wat to put him on.
    Turn came ace of clubs to leave 3 clubs on board, giving me pair of aces with 8 high flush draw. heres where i made my 1st mistake, i should have stuck in 1 final decent size bet to find out once and for all was i ahead and if i was called or raised i was gone from hand. but i checked 2 hastily worried by what he had called me with.
    he put in bout 40grand bet and i called b4 i even thought wat mite happen on river prob hopin to go check check. river came 4th club givin me 8high flush. at this stage i was obviously hopin 2 go check check, i had only left myself with bout 70grand so couldnt afford stopper bet. i checked and he bet 45grand in2 150ish pot.
    here it was in my mind a 70/30 chance he had got higher flush, i hadnt seen him bluff yet and in fairness he put on good actin job. i was gettin odds 2 call but i felt dat he prob had me, his size bet also worried me, it screamed of 'i want a caller'. if i cal and win makes me big stack, if i cal and lose im virtually a gonner .i had left myself just enough 2 fight my way back in2 tourny i thought.
    i folded and he flipped over stone cold bluff. obviously i was pretty sickened but i didnt tilt. i tink i was vindicated wit my decision by how d tournament worked out for me eventually.
    even though he's a good player no doubt, gota question his cal of re-raise with 9 5 as in general i had shown dat i was a pretty tight player overall.
    i obviously made mistakes of my own in hand and probably in many other hands as wel but dats poker and deres not 2 many players out dere dat play every hand perfectly.
    my 1st ever major tournament was a great experience and hopefully over comin year i get to play 1 or more

ckarsenal wrote:
    i obviously made mistakes of my own in hand and probably in many other hands as wel but dats poker and deres not 2 many players out dere dat play every hand perfectly.
    my 1st ever major tournament was a great experience and hopefully over comin year i get to play 1 or more

No player plays every hand perfectly. Well done on your result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TOURTHELANCE

Just what to ask feelow boardies if they think its nessesary to go boasting about a play they made against a player:confused::confused: in the recent waterford open who just happened to go on and finish third in the MAIN EVENT and collect 12k for his efforts...WOW GUS you raised with 95 off to be called but when ur re raised you still call to a player whos stats show that he is playing approx 8 hands out of 50 and winning 7 if not all of them, He bets out the flop with the best hand and for some reason you call? Clearly if you want to take the pot here then you stab at it which you didnt for some reason?? (Villan) or Ck as he is known as hits his Ace on the turn and is trying to put you on a range of hands seen as you have called hes raise pre and post flop so checks to see what you do he calls your what must have been your second attempt to steal and now hits a 8 high flush and you bet out 40k which is over half hes stack, If he calls here and is beating by any club from 9 to A then hes tourny is over however if he folds he still felt he could play hes way back in 2 the tourny and from hes 3RD PLACE FINISH I THINK SOMEHOW HE JUST DONE THAT:D :D ......Luck will get you so far in poker but not to a final table in a 180player European ranked event. Less of the boasting and critising other players, WELL DONE CK AND SPONGEBOB on a super result;) ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

Just what to ask feelow boardies if they think its nessesary to go boasting about a play they made against a player:confused::confused: in the recent waterford open who just happened to go on and finish third in the MAIN EVENT and collect 12k for his efforts...WOW GUS you raised with 95 off to be called but when ur re raised you still call to a player whos stats show that he is playing approx 8 hands out of 50 and winning 7 if not all of them, He bets out the flop with the best hand and for some reason you call? Clearly if you want to take the pot here then you stab at it which you didnt for some reason?? (Villan) or Ck as he is known as hits his Ace on the turn and is trying to put you on a range of hands seen as you have called hes raise pre and post flop so checks to see what you do he calls your what must have been your second attempt to steal and now hits a 8 high flush and you bet out 40k which is over half hes stack, If he calls here and is beating by any club from 9 to A then hes tourny is over however if he folds he still felt he could play hes way back in 2 the tourny and from hes 3RD PLACE FINISH I THINK SOMEHOW HE JUST DONE THAT:D :D ......Luck will get you so far in poker but not to a final table in a 180player European ranked event. Less of the boasting and critising other players, WELL DONE CK AND SPONGEBOB on a super result;) ;);)

I think you need to read all the posts because Gus Ivey was asked by another poster to describe the hand in question & this he did as "best he could remember". CK then posts his memory of the hand, so he wasn't boasting IMO about the bluff, which by the way, others have deduced it wasn't the bluff of the century or possibly even the tournament. CK didn't try to take it on the turn & then checked the river so with 4 clubs on board how good was it really. I think at an earlier stage of the tournament it would have been played differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Gus Ivey wrote:

Horrible fold on his part, 28k bet on that turn surprised he didnt push.

• Advertisement
Advertisement