Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Open 2007 Results - All Events

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TOURTHELANCE

EASY TO SAY WHEN YOUR NOT IN THE HAND... CLEARLY PLAYED HIS WAY BACK INTO THE TOURNY BY CASHING IN THIRD, WHERE WAS IT YOU FINISHED?:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

EASY TO SAY WHEN YOUR NOT IN THE HAND... CLEARLY PLAYED HIS WAY BACK INTO THE TOURNY BY CASHING IN THIRD, WHERE WAS IT YOU FINISHED?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Listen man, this is a board where hands that are posted are debated - and perceived errors scrutinised. In that way we learn what not to do and hope to improve in the future. Obviously, the villain in the hand did very well to go so deep in the tournament. He obviously played a lot of hands well, did a lot of things right - and deserved the good result he got.

However, if he plays this hand better, who knows if he couldn't have improved upon his eventual placing? Even when we win tournaments, make good plays - we can always think back and identify areas that can be improved upon.

Nobody is slagging your mate off to make themselves feel better or belittle his achievment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

as far as I can see you have only contributed 2 posts in total to this forum, both to have a cut off someone.

As Lloyd has said above this is a discussion forum, if you haven't a decent contribution to make you might consider saving yourself the bother of posting at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I was asked to post the hand up - Thanks Kaka,

I wasnt boasting about how great I played the hand - because we both didnt play the hand great at all - however it was a memorable hand for both of us and on request the hand was posted up.

Im not taking anything away from CKArsenal, Hes a great player and deserved to cash and I look forward to playing with him again.

Paul

a-k-47 wrote:
    Horrible fold on his part, 28k bet on that turn surprised he didnt push.

Im not sure if it was 28k , but it definitly was a weak bet. At the time of the hand I played the hand representing the flush.

I flat called the flop
    Bet the turn
    And value bet the river

If I had of seen his whole cards I would have bet more on the river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

the reason i felt it was the play of the tourney was because of the time and importance of the hand. sure better plays were made but not for as many chips. wp paul hope to see you back playing more now. jackpot tonight for the drogheda qualifier?

no man , im staying in tonight and playing a bit online - best of luck if you play it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Just what to ask feelow boardies if they think its nessesary to go boasting about a play they made against a player:confused::confused: in the recent waterford open who just happened to go on and finish third in the MAIN EVENT and collect 12k for his efforts...WOW GUS you raised with 95 off to be called but when ur re raised you still call to a player whos stats show that he is playing approx 8 hands out of 50 and winning 7 if not all of them, He bets out the flop with the best hand and for some reason you call? Clearly if you want to take the pot here then you stab at it which you didnt for some reason?? (Villan) or Ck as he is known as hits his Ace on the turn and is trying to put you on a range of hands seen as you have called hes raise pre and post flop so checks to see what you do he calls your what must have been your second attempt to steal and now hits a 8 high flush and you bet out 40k which is over half hes stack, If he calls here and is beating by any club from 9 to A then hes tourny is over however if he folds he still felt he could play hes way back in 2 the tourny and from hes 3RD PLACE FINISH I THINK SOMEHOW HE JUST DONE THAT:D :D ......Luck will get you so far in poker but not to a final table in a 180player European ranked event. Less of the boasting and critising other players, WELL DONE CK AND SPONGEBOB on a super result;) ;);)

What a ridiculous first post. For one, its nearly impossible to read, and secondly if makes f all sense. I didnt realise you have your poker tracker running in love games. I must do that more often.

CK was at my 1st table for a few hours during the tournament and found him to be a very good player. I also said to him that everytime he put chips into a pot, he won the hand which speaks for itself.

He didnt finish 3rd. The game was stopped when the 6th player got knocked out and the remaining 5 split the money equally. Your comment aimed at Gus Ivey about luck will only get you so far etc is absurd. Incase you didnt realise, he was the player knocked out in 6th, when his A9 was beaten by A5 when a 5 came on the river. Take some time to read the this thread and others before spouting your nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

ckarsenal....
    was a pleasure playing against you in this tourney, never really got involved apart from nuts str8 vs nust str8 hand but over the weekend you certainly earned respect from me and you were one of few players who i considered very good, that coming from playing with you on day 2, you really impressed me and i am sure that we will cross paths somewhere down the line

congrats man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Hey man,

Quick question about a hand that I heard you played in the main event in waterford.

You called a big raise preflop with A rag (4 I think) - flop Q 9 rag (5 I think)
    Flop is bet and u call
    turn is another rag (2 I think) again turn is bet and you call
    River rag (3 I think) you go all in.

The important thing here is that the rags ended up giving you the wheel.

My quesion is this - what was your thought process on this whole hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭fabsoul

You should post it here Ricky http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093524

I was at the table for that hand. it was a very lucky runner runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

fabsoul wrote:
    You should post it here Ricky http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093524

I was at the table for that hand. it was a very lucky runner runner.

Yeah I wasn't sure where to post it - I mean that's deconstructing him, not in the well so wasn't sure. I'll stick in there also though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

http://www.pokerineurope.com/majortournaments/schedule.php?tournamentid=2007055

Main Event

€ 500 No Limit Holdem
    Freezeout

181 Entries / € 90,500

€ Ranking Points
    1st John Ward 14,300 525
    2nd Eddie Walsh 12,000 525
    3rd Colm Kennedy (Ireland) 12,000 525
    4th Victor Brophy 12,000 525
    5th Paul Dooley (Ireland) 12,000 525
    6th Paul Curran 6,000 450
    7th Marty Sheridan 4,300 375
    8th Michael Douglas 3,300 300
    9th R Taylor (England) 2,300 225
    10th Mick French (Ireland) 2,000

€ 225 No Limit Holdem
    Freezeout

69 Entries / € 15,525

€ Ranking Points
    1st Jim Delaney (Ireland) 4,750 450
    2nd Tom Murphy (Ireland) 3,000 360
    3rd John Gough (Ireland) 1,800 300
    4th Pat Storan 1,500 240
    5th John Rafferty (Ireland) 1,200 210
    6th Mick Rossiter 1,000 180
    7th Trevor McGoona 800 150
    8th Mark Rayburn 700 120
    9th Anna Colley 525 90
    10th Leon Treacy 250

€ 150 No Limit Holdem
    Freezeout

86 Entries / € 12,900

€ Ranking Points
    1st Wes Farrell (Ireland) 3,050 360
    2nd David Smith (Ireland) 3,050 360
    3rd Vivian Browne 1,500 300
    4th Bruno Apollonio 1,200 240
    5th Mark Lassan 1,050 210
    6th Brian O'Connell (Ireland) 850 180
    7th M Stevens (England) 700 150
    8th Seamus Aldridge 600 120
    9th Sligo John (Ireland) 500 90
    10th Vera Duffy (Ireland) 400

what exactly are ranking points??? im a newbie, :), as in what good do they do?
    you become placed in ireland or europe or something?? :S:S:S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

With the Paddy Power Irish Open and the Irish Championships already done and dusted and the Green Joker Poker festival on the horizon, Irish poker is buzzing more than ever at the moment, and so it was with great anticipation that poker enthusiasts looked forward to this week’s Boyle Poker Waterford Open, held in, yep, you guessed it, Waterford.

Prudently overseen by tournament director and dead ringer for the ‘I shot JR’ character in Father Ted, Neill Kelly , the Festival’s €500 Main Event managed to attract an impressive 181 field, packed to the rafters with some of Ireland’s most fearsome players – oh, and Mike Lacey of course.

With the likes of Ken Powell, Brendan Walls and 2006 Irish Open finalist, Conor Smyth, taking their seats and riffling chips, it sure wasn’t going to be easy going for the rest of the field, who were all eagerly eying up that €27,000 first prize like a dog salivating over the rabbit.

But, with so many Irish ‘names’ present, it was the more unknown John Dee Ward who would take the event by storm, leading the pack right from the off and sailing into Day 2 with the chip lead and a formidable 127,400 stack.

Although hotly pursued by Paul Curran and Michael Douglas (no, no that Michael Douglas), Ward would ultimately carry that form beyond the first day, leading Day 3 in similar fashion with a mouth-watering 482,500, almost 200,000 more than his closest rival.

But this was to be no push-over as Colm Kennedy, Rob Taylor and last year’s WSOP hero and highest placing Brit, John Magill (right), were still alive and kicking as 18 remained.

Although Magill dropped in 14th when his A-Q was out-coin-flipped by Paddy Dooley’s Pocket Eights, Michael Douglas was on the rise, at one point shocking everyone by actually taking the chip lead off Ward with a cool 630,000 in chips as the final table loomed.

But Ward was clearly made of sturdy stuff, and, after Douglas had suffered a few painful knocks, he was eliminated by Ward in a huge pot, Douglas re-raising all-in on a J-2-5 Flop with 8-8, but being swiftly called by Ward’s J-T. At one point, Neill Kelly even commented, “John Dee Ward’s chip stack has got to be seen to be believed, he has got the Great Wall of China in front of him with over one third of the chips in play.”

However, it was Victor Brophy who would hold the chip lead as 6 poker warriors remained and, after Paul Curran was shot down by Dooley (A-9 vs. A-5, 5 on the River), the last 5 agreed to a deal, a five way chop that shocked all on-lookers as a perhaps inexperienced Brophy approved an equal split (12k each) with a commanding chip lead at his disposal.

So, a deal was struck, but even though there was just the €1,300 and the trophy left to play for (I’m not sure which is worth more…), the game continued in good spirit, the title eventually falling to the perhaps deserved John Dee Ward, who’s 10-1 heads-up chip lead was too much for Eddie Walsh to handle.

So, well done not just to the Boyle Poker Waterford Open Champion, John Dee Ward, who took home the silverware, but to the other four players (Dooley, Brophy, Kennedy and Walsh) who also grabbed their slice of the Irish pie. Of course, we also shouldn’t forget TD Neill Kelly who, by the sound of the feedback so far, did a top class job, the only cry of constructive criticism being, “No deals next year, Kelly!”

• Advertisement

lol, thats so cool, i literally just read that
    http://www.blondepoker.com/index.php?q=node/9911 - thats the link.
    i was looking for stuff from the event, they have chip counts from day 1 and 2, wanted to see how the final tablers got back from etc etc.

edit:
    paddy dooley and eddie walsh made amazing comebacks. congrats lads

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ckarsenal

yea sound michael, was actually tryin to avoid you when down to eighteen players alright because i knew u were capable of big moves especially with the chip stack you had which was the largest by some distance at our table. As paul said he really played his hand like a draw and it was very clever sized bet on river. Had my bit of luck against you later on catching the king on turn against your small pocket pair when would ave knocked me out in 10th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TOURTHELANCE

Just want to apolagise for saying Gus was boasting about the hand in question when he was actually asked to post the hand, After my friend ck came third in his first big tourny i got a call to say he was being critised for a poor play in a certain hand and this sicknd me as he played as solid a 3day session of poker that most players would be very proud of and yet it was this hand that was talked about. My point was simply someone revewing the hand can quite easily say its a simply call when there not in that situation that late in to the tourny, Paul could have quite easily made the play but won with a higher flush on the river just as easy and ck's tourny would have been over. And yes flushdraw hes odds were as i said (+ or - 1%)as he kept record of the first to last hand he was involved with. Flushdraw whats this about lovegames? I have heard of plenty of varations but this is new to me?, Only messing tony i played with you in the team event in waterford when we got down to the last 30 and you dominated the table was impressed by your play and warned to avoid you on the table if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Enjoyed this alot i am really getting the bug for these big live events.

Went to the second day 12th in chips and feeling good as i had gotten pretty lucky with a big move on the first day that saw me bust QQ with 7h,8h all in preflop :)

Second day i played one hand really badly which cost me alot of chip but was able to claw my way back from 12k to 24k and then managed to get it all in preflop with my AK vs AJ but a J on the flop sent me packing.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

yes opr you were a sick individual putting me out of the tournament with your move never ever been as sickened at a poker table in my life i had never even put my chips in on a fifty fifty so that suck out really hurt i was surprised you risked your tournament on a bluff to win so little chips i nearly folded but i felt you were sick of me coming over the top of you i really sensed weakness,but well done any way hope you had a good weekend

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Woah... I'm a European Ranked Player, me! :D

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

tipp86 wrote:
    yes opr you were a sick individual putting me out of the tournament with your move never ever been as sickened at a poker table in my life i had never even put my chips in on a fifty fifty so that suck out really hurt i was surprised you risked your tournament on a bluff to win so little chips i nearly folded but i felt you were sick of me coming over the top of you i really sensed weakness,but well done any way hope you had a good weekend

Sorry man , Before i had even made the raise i had it in my head that if you came over the top i was pushing. I don't really see it as risking my tournament TBH i take every situation as it comes and if i believe something is +EV in the long run i will do it.

I thought about this hand for while that night and i think even if i had lost i would have been happy with the play. The fact that you say you almost folded QQ makes me feel all the better about the move.

But it was a sick way to go out !!

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

ya fair enough explaination im surprised you did not re-raise to 6500-7000 where if you had i may have folded the hand as i would have had to make a decision i dont think i could have pushed with qq in that situation as it would really have looked like kk aa to me so i feel i may have folded in that situation who knows??Great tournament in general hope to see you at the next best of luck

Advertisement