Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnola groupsets

Options
  • 21-05-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi, wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. Im about to buy new campagnola shifters for my road bike ( 9 or 10 speed ) but my bike has a pretty old setup on it and the rear casette only has 7 on the casette. Does anyone know if I will need to replace the rear wheel or can a new casette be added on to the existing wheel? I have asked in a local repair shop and they were pretty vague about the whole thing and im sure they will tell me i need a new wheel once they are in the middle of fixing it up for me. Also will be old derailleurs still work with the new shifters? Any help on this would be fantastic!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Internet bike guru Sheldon Brown has a good page on this topic. From what he says, you might be out of luck. Sounds like you may not only need a new rear hub to run 10-speed, but also a new rear derailleur.

If your old shifters are shot and getting new ones is the most important thing, you could just get new shifters and RD and stick with 7-speed until you want to upgrade your wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

ahhh.. sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare alright, there is one thing though, i know campag did an 8 speed shifter so maybe i should go down that route. im fearing i need a new groupset and wheel and for that it would probably be better getting a new bike but im a bit attached to this one. thanks for your help,:(

ahhh.. sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare alright, there is one thing though, i know campag did an 8 speed shifter so maybe i should go down that route. im fearing i need a new groupset and wheel and for that it would probably be better getting a new bike but im a bit attached to this one. thanks for your help,:(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well, if you're getting entry level stuff, a new group and wheels shouldn't cost more than €400, which is still cheaper than a new bike. You should probably check before buying though that your frame will take a 10-speed wheel hub.

• Advertisement

by the way just in case anyway else encounters this problem i contacted campagnolo and they advised me that 8 speed shifters work fine with 7 speed cassettes. i picked a set up on ebay there and everything is working well. only cost 40 euro

Advertisement