Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake fluid

Options
  • 21-05-2007 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

How do you know what type of brake fluid to put in a car? A mate of mine wants to top up the brake fluid in a car he bought recently for the NCT, but he doesn't know what fluid was in it already. Do most cars use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 these days? The car is an Avensis, around 98 model, I think if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

blastman wrote:
    How do you know what type of brake fluid to put in a car? A mate of mine wants to top up the brake fluid in a car he bought recently for the NCT, but he doesn't know what fluid was in it already. Do most cars use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 these days? The car is an Avensis, around 98 model, I think if that helps.
    A quick phone call to your local Toyota garage should sort it out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the manual is still in the car it will state the brake fluid specs. I'd guess it would be DOT4, but thats a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The correct type of fluid is often specified on the reservoir filler cap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also do not confuse Dot 5 with Dot 5.1.
    Dot 5 is silicone-based and is not compatible with Dot 3,4,or 5.1
    see www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html (near the bottom) for more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Cheers lads, he doesn't have the manual for the car, but I did suggest calling the dealer. Looking under the cap will also be mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

crosstownk wrote:
    If the manual is still in the car it will state the brake fluid specs. I'd guess it would be DOT4, but thats a guess.

Most likely I agee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It should say it on the cap of the brake fluid resevoir - prolly dot 3 or 4

Advertisement