Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pricey pricey Toyota spares

Options
  • 21-05-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement Turbo charger for a 95 Toyota Estima, there was an ad in the buy and sell by a guy saying he was breaking an estima and would sell parts.

He quoted me 400 for the replacement turbo saying a new one was 800 . I think I've been lied too,

anyone know rough second hand prices for these before I go phoning the scrap yards? just so I don't get ripped

thanks
    Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I don't think he's ripping you off - turbo's are about the most expensive single component you can replace on a car; if you wanna be sure, give your local toyota dealership a ring for a quote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buying a 2nd hand turbo could be false economy. It is possible to get your existing one overhauled, which will leave it "as new" condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

thanks for the replies,

it's the broken turbo unit that will cause it to fail the NCT

Can I get a turbo overhauled ? is this somethiing a mechanic will do ?

I always belived they just swapped out the defective parts

thanks
    Fionn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fionn101 wrote:
    thanks for the replies,

it's the broken turbo unit that will cause it to fail the NCT

Can I get a turbo overhauled ? is this somethiing a mechanic will do ?

I always belived they just swapped out the defective parts

thanks
    Fionn

You'd have to send it away I reckon. Unlikely to be possible in Ireland. The thing is that a 2nd hand turbo could be knackered before you even fit it.

Find out the name and model no. of the turbo itself and google it from there.

This site may be of some use....http://uktoyotaestimasite.tripod.com/

Advertisement