Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romario Scores 1000th Career Goal

• 21-05-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Well he finally did it after a six week wait!
    RIO DE JANEIRO, May 20 (Reuters) - Former Brazil striker Romario finally scored what he claims to be the 1,000th goal of his career by converting a penalty in Vasco da Gama's 3-1 over Sport Recife on Sunday.

The 41-year-old sent Sport goalkeeper Magrao the wrong way to spark extraordinary scenes at Vasco's Sao Januario stadium, where celebrations held up the Brazilian championship match for 16 minutes.

Dozens of people, including friends, relatives and a horde of radio and television reporters ran onto the pitch to hug, congratulate and interview the 1994 World Cup winner after his 48th minute goal.

Romario admits that his tally includes goals scored in youth team, friendly and testimonial games but this failed to dampen the celebrations.

The former PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona player was presented with a special shirt with the number 1,000 on the back by club president Eurico Miranda and completed a lap of honour.

He then went back onto the pitch and played for another 15 minutes, before being substituted to a standing ovation.

'I dedicate this to my family, my children, I'm really emotional, this is an extraordinary moment in my life,' he said immediately after the goal.

'It's a great pleasure to reach this target, which only one other player has managed,' he added.

Pele also scored his 1,000th goal from a penalty for Santos against Vasco da Gama in 1969.

'There are always some who don't like it, but only one other person has done it and I'm proud.'

Asked about Sport goalkeeper Magrao, who was on the receiving end, he said: 'He has gone down in history when he wants to or not. This could be good or bad for him, depending on how he looks at it.'

Romario's striking partner Andre Dias scored twice in the first half to put Vasco in control.

Romario, who always said he would have preferred to score the goal at the Maracana stadium, had two chances to score in the first half.

The first effort was cleared off the line by Du Lopes and the second went begging as he was tackled when about to shoot.

But there was no mistake when Vasco were awarded a penalty for handball three minutes after the break.

Vasco went off the boil after the goal and Luciano Henrique pulled one back for the visitors with seven minutes left.

Romario, playing his first game for nearly six weeks, had been stuck on 999 goals for three matches, during which Vasco were knocked out of two competitions and coach Renato Portaluppi was fired.

Magrao said the defeat hurt more than being on the wrong end of history.

'I would have preferred a win for Sport Recife. Nobody likes to lose and I'm no different,' he said.

Vasco coach Celso Roth said: 'It's a great honour. I'm very grateful to be here at this historic moment for Brazilian and world football.'

The win left Vasco as one of six teams who have taken maximum points from their opening two games alongside Palmeiras, Corinthians, Botafogo, Atletico Paranaense and Parana.

Link

It'll be intersting to see if Romario continues to the end of the season before retiring, the previous Vasco coach felt he still had something to offer, although Roth may have different ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tauren wrote:
    Seriously, the guy is counting goals scored in training and crap like that!

so did Pele...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Romario is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tauren wrote:
    I reckon i have scored 1000 goals too, playing in the park, on the astro, in school, for the local side.... i should be getting media hype too!

Yeah, totally tarnishes his record, Pele was the same. He counted youth, non-league and friendly games.

And he buggered off for 15mins after scoring the 1000th goal todo interview, then when he came back, the game restarted

Tosser tbh.

HIS 1000 GOALS ARE NOT OFFICIALLY RECOGNISED, HE MADE THIS UP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Goals from frieldlys are always counted, as for youth team and non-league matches he wouldn't have had that much.

He only counted games from when he turned pro the age of 16 (his first contract) and that only lasted two years.

As for friendlys, yeah he played loads but so what.

He isn't counting goals from training, don't be stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

...oh and he's counting goals from kickabouts he had when he was a kid on the beaches and streets...and goals that he nearly scored too (posts, crossbars, great saves) etc etc :D

• Advertisement

I've been doing research, My carrear goals in senior football boil down to...

37 free kicks, 64 long shots,10 inside the box, 13 tap ins, a header and two penos...

Do I get a prize?

who cares? he had a personal target he wanted to achieve. he achieved it. fair play. as herbie says the guy is a legend, 1000 goals or not. he still scored a ****load more goals than most anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tauren wrote:
    I reckon i have scored 1000 goals too, playing in the park, on the astro, in school, for the local side.... i should be getting media hype too!

all the games where the goals counted were in some official capacity, ie had a ref. i think thats fair enough for your career. Its not like he wins anything its just a pesonal milestone, everyone knows its not based on 100% competitive matches though if you look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romario#Personal_titles theres an awful lot of top scorer titles in there.

I wouldn't begrudge him it to be honest.
    zabbo wrote:
    Yeah, totally tarnishes his record, Pele was the same. He counted youth, non-league and friendly games.

And he buggered off for 15mins after scoring the 1000th goal todo interview, then when he came back, the game restarted

Tosser tbh.

He himself said he lost count a long long time ago. theres a team of statisticians that worked out his tally based on the criteria of all matches of any official nature counting.

And as regards him buggering off, i was watching brazilian tv at the time trying to get the gremio match, and the show that was on actually cut from a film to his penalty and directly after he scored it he was completely mobbed where he stood by fans and the media, it was unreal, he hadnt an inch of room. they did the interviews right there and then, he didnt have much choice in the matter, this was all still on the pitch! It obviously meant a lot to the country and to him and clearly nobody minded so calling him a tosser is a bit far imo.
    Dozens of people, including friends, relatives and a horde of radio and television reporters ran onto the pitch to hug, congratulate and interview the 1994 World Cup winner after his 48th minute goal.

he did leave the pitch to be presented with a special jersey with 1000 on the back by the club president though, but i wouldnt really consider that just "buggering off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Fair play, the man seems a bit full of himself but you can't deny the achievement. That's what, 50 goals a season, consistently, for 20 odd years? However you arrive at the figure, that's pretty extraordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fair play to him, but it really is a meaningless record, obviously not to him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Seaneh wrote:
    I've been doing research, My carrear goals in senior football boil down to...

37 free kicks, 64 long shots,10 inside the box, 13 tap ins, a header and two penos...

Do I get a prize?

Yes, yes you do ! The wittiest person on Boards. (Borat Pause) NOT !

Romario is a legend full stop. Fantastic record whatever way you look at it.
    Typical begrudger attitude by some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Seaneh wrote:
    as for youth team and non-league matches he wouldn't have had that much.

So you assume. But as we all know assuming something makes an ASS of U and ME.

However, fair play to him for bagging a load of goals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tauren wrote:

So? He's not claiming they are all from top-level football. It's still a great record and should be noted as such. When someone goes and scores 1000 goals at the top level we can applaud them.

Romario is a legend and one of the best players I've seen since I started watching football. I consider it a real injustice how he is largely forgotten inbetween the hype machines of Pele and Ronaldo, and anything that serves to rectify that, if only in a small way, is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The manner of how this 1000 goal fiasco has been drawn out undermines what was once a fantastic player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seaneh wrote:

Do I get a prize?

* Rio de Janeiro State Championship (1985-1999) - four times champion, seven times leading scorer
    * KNVB Cup (1989, 1990) - two times champion
    * Dutch League (1989, 1991, 1992) - three times champion and three times leading scorer
    * Seoul Olympic Games (1988) - silver medal
    * Copa America (1989-1997) - two times champion and leading scorer
    * Spanish League (1994) - champion and leading scorer
    * FIFA World Cup 1994 - champion and Most Valuable Player (Golden Ball) Award Winner
    * Confederations Cup (1997) - champion and leading scorer
    * Mercosur Cup (2000) - champion
    * Brazilian Championship - champion (2000) and leading scorer (2001 and 2005)
    * FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup (2005) - 3rd place
    * Football Olympic Tournament - silver medal (1988)
    * FIFA World Player of the Year a.k.a "Best Player of the World" prize - winner of the award in the year 1994

regardless of his goals, hes won a few things.

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I read and article awhile back about Romario & Pele's scoring record.

They were saying that but made up a lot of goals but Romario tally is all that more impressive because it was in the modern "harder" game.

I'm not sure I would agree with that but as has been said both legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Who ever is saying he is counting goals in training is an idoit. He probally has 1000 alone in training matches. Friendlies are still offical, not to sure about youth games tho.

Anyone who wants to bring him down is just a low life scumbag, drug dealing, jealous jackass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Romario is an absolue leg and for me, I'll always remember his goal for Braca in the 4-0 hiding they gave Manchester in the Camp Nou although the pass from Stoichov (sp?) was probably better than his finish.

But he he hasn't scored 1,000 career goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Zebra3 wrote:
    But he he hasn't scored 1,000 career goals.

I know a four foot Brazilian who disagrees and he was there for all of them, were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

zabbo wrote:

Tosser tbh.

oh well, now that youve said it in bold and in capitals, i guess you must be right.

apart from the fact that the bloke is an absolute legend. who cares what he counts. the goals he scored for his country more than make up for counting goals scored in unrecognised games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I really want to believe it was for the hair loss. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Haha, ya gotta love the bit about his lawyers showing a video of his highlights and saying that they needed to be taken into consideration. It's like saying that Ben Johnson or Marion Jones should have been let off because they won Olympic gold medals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I am optimistic that it is just the hair stuff though. The banned ingredient in the hair growth stuff is only banned as it covers up other performance enhancing things. Rules are rules so he's got to be banned, but at the same time, at least they haven't actually found anything performance enhancing. I dont hink its something he'd be doing at this age now anyway..

I am admittedly biased as i love the guy, but still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

But as we all know assuming something makes an ASS of U and ME..

Way to ruin a perfectly good joke buddy....

Congrads Romario, Barca legend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eZe^ wrote: »

For failing a drugs test? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

What a ridiculous ban. His lawyers will fight to get this dropped, the drug will be legal from 2008 onwards anyway. Its all a conspiracy to tarnish the great ones name. I bet Péle is behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

anybody who wants to begrudge him for this scoring record is just a pathetic sad little person, its is an unbelievable achievement of scoring a ridiculus amount of goals every year without fail for such a long period of time, whether he has 988,995,1000 or 1137 goals is irrelevant to me tbh, but the fact that he has been netting obscene amounts for so long is relevant.

could people just for once hold up their hands and say congradulations and well done to someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    What a ridiculous ban. His lawyers will fight to get this dropped, the drug will be legal from 2008 onwards anyway. Its all a conspiracy to tarnish the great ones name. I bet Péle is behind it.

What difference does it make if it will be leagalisd at a future date. It's not legal now. Thats like giving out about getting caught drivign at 120kmph on an 80kmph dual carriageway becaet road will be upgarded to a motorway soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Haters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgLlvzhYqd4

What a finisher...

eZe^ wrote: »
    Way to ruin a perfectly good joke buddy....

Barce legend? hardly, besided Maradonna and Requilme I can't think of someone who has less good things to say about his time at barce!

Advertisement