Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone sell their car at a 'car auction'?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 11:55am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It can be done. You will get it sold, but the price won't be too high.

VRT calculator values a basic Jan. 00 A3, with that mileage at just over €6600 btw. Maybe you need to be a little more realistic on the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

cheers - will give them a buzz. I know they'll take a cut obviously - but do you mean that you think 7.5k is too much for a 2000 a3 - its the second cheapest there - I thought I was pricing ok. Everyone knows published prices up for negociation anyway dont they?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DSN wrote:
    cheers - will give them a buzz. I know they'll take a cut obviously - but do you mean that you think 7.5k is too much for a 2000 a3 - its the second cheapest there - I thought I was pricing ok. Everyone knows published prices up for negociation anyway dont they?

The mileage might frighten some prospective buyers off?

Maybe reduce it to maybe €6950 and perhaps then you'll generate some interest.

Auction price will be alot lower. Maybe €5000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

4 owners, 108,000 miles... 7,900... you'll sell it in an auction for 5k

Cheers all - makes for fairly depressing but prob more realistic reading!
    know mileage is high but got full audi service history & I just paid over 400 for a full service on it. do'h!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DSN wrote:
    Cheers all - makes for fairly depressing but prob more realistic reading!
    know mileage is high but got full audi service history & I just paid over 400 for a full service on it. do'h!

Ouch :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would start off by advertise the car at just below €7k if you want to get anyone interested. No offence but I don't think anyone will pay near €7,900 for a 7 year old A3 with 108k miles.

I would only go to an auction house as a last resort or if you need to sell quickly. You will probably get alot less than €6k for it there as most people there are looking for bargins.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

The TVD car auction is very good.
    www.tvd.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd say you should price your car around the 6,500 - 6,750. Also the pictures you have up dont look the best, maybe take from a different angle, to highlight the bodywork etc.

Its a nice motor but your being way to optimistic with the price, if you make it the cheapest on the market and best looking then you'll shift it.

This one has less mileage and less owners than yours.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=469796

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

DSN wrote:
    Or do they even exist? I have been trying to sell my lovely Audi A3 for weeks now - on ww.cbg.ie, carzone, buy&sell. you name it & nothing :(
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=683270
    somebody was telling me about car auctions where private sellers can sell their cars at? Is this true - anyone ever used them?
    Cheers again for any advice.

You car has the highest milage than any other 2000 car.The best thing to do is reduce your price to around 6k for quick sale and even let it go for 5k.It not worth keeping as it wont be worth anything next year with more milage on it.Dont bother going the auction route as you wont get much for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Same here. Price is the most important thing to consider when selling.
    It might be worth more in your eyes, but the market price is different.

For a quick sale drop the price to as low as you want to get for it + 2-300 euro for negociations.
    I wouldn't go for the auction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

call Merlin and ask how much this sold for...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=679582

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I reckon you'd be lucky to get €4k at auction. As the above posters said, give the car a good wash, take new pictures and drop the price. It's a popular car, surely if the price is right, you'll sell it :)

Out of interest, have you already bought a new car? If not, you could solve the problem by trading it in. You won't get a good price then either, but you'll get more than at auction and your problem is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OP; It hasn't sold because of the price, it's too high!

thanks all for the tips - i get it its too pricey will keep droppin the price. Had to laugh at the 'give it a good wash' my husband spent hours cleaning before he took those pics he will be gutted!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Hi DSN, do a bit of a search and you'll find the website of the place in Ashbourne. I was thinking of using them a few years ago and they sent me an email with details of the prices achieved for various makes and models of cars.

I actually went ahead and tried to sell with them but when I got there I quickly changed my mind. Apart from a nominal sign-on fee the company only makes money if a sale goes through, i.e. then they get their percentage.

Here's the rub though, when it came to deciding the 'price' of the car, i.e. the ceiling price or in other words the price at which I would be obliged to sell, they would only agree to radically undervalue what was at the time a 2 year old car (young, I know, but it was a 307 and, ahem, needed shifting in a hurry). Basically they wanted to guarantee themselves a sale, and their % cut, and were willing to gamble on the price secured for the car to do so, with yours truly taking the hit if it didn't go far enough above the ceiling to make it worth my while.

Posters above are correct though, your price is way to high for that car!

Advertisement